Turn Off Ads?

Thread: PGA Final Round Thread

PGA Final Round Thread

there's a lot of players right at the top. there's not much separation at all. Should be exciting. My money is on Sergio.

As I type, Holmes is taking an unplayable lie after failing to ship it out of the trees on #1. So he's lying 4 on a par 4 and still has to chip out. Faldo is putting him through the ringer for hitting a driver on such a short hole. It's fun to listen to. Holmes is likely done for the tourney after one hole. He's starting at triple bogey on a hole all the other leaders seem to be birdying fairly easily.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: PGA Final Round Thread

Phil has now birdied 3 in a row and sits a +1 through 4 holes. I'd love to say I think he could make a run, but I have absolutely no faith in his ability not to screw it up if he gets in the hunt.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Oh yeah, the PGA was this weekend.....

I honestly forgot.

That first hole ruined any shot that J.B. Holmes had of winning this thing.

That was a great tournament. The Irishman was cold-blooded, sinking 3 10 foot plus putts on 16, 17 and 18. Garcia had a couple bad shots and a couple near misses but overall he played well. He is a better ball striker than Harrington and drives it further but Harrington was just so determined and he made great shots when he needed to.

I felt a little bad for Curtis. He got a couple of bad breaks down the stretch. That putt on 15 falls if it doesn't hit whatever it was it hit to push it off to the right. Then he hit a good shot on 17 that just hit really hard and rolled off the back of the green leading to bogey.

He had other chances, but I would liked to see him with a chance to birdie #18 for a tie.

Overall, Harringotn is a worthy champ and earned the win shotting 4 under par on the back side on Sunday.

Great tournament.

It's amazing what luck has to do with it. All 3 men played great, but Harrington was the luckiest at the end. There is no way he should've made par on #18 after his 2nd shot. Pure luck. The rough was nasty all week and somehow his ball sits up to allow him to hit the green in three.

Curtis' shot on #17 got a big bounce, which was a little unlucky, but not entirely. Harrington and Sergio held that green because they're stronger players and were able to hit a higher shot with more spin.

As for Sergio. I really thought he was going to win after he birdied the first. Then he eagled the 2nd and I thought it was a lock. He played so well today and then missed the one putt he couldn't allow himself to miss: the 4-footer on #17. You just can't miss that putt and win a major. Tiger would make that putt 100% of the time. So would Nicklaus. But Sergio couldn't do it.

All in all, it was a great tournament until the last hole. It irritated that Harrington was able to make par from where he was and Sergio and Curtis had no chance to tie. It took all the drama out too soon.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I was shocked when Paddy made that putt on 18. I thought for sure Sergio would have a chance for the tie. What can you say? Paddy is a worthy champ. It still hasn't entirely sunk in that Harrington now has the second most majors of anyone (tied with Phil, Vijay and Ernie) active on tour. Crazy. From none to 3 in no time at all. Who knows how many he could win now.

The Euros sure are going to be tough at the Ryder Cup. You had Paddy, Garcia and Henrik Stenson all in the top 4 while no Americans of note really challenged (though Curtis did lock up a RC spot with his play) and the Ryder Cup is going to be run by the same folks that brought you the PGA. Europe also has Lee Westwood, Miguel Angel Jimminez, Robert Karlson and Justin Rose playing pretty well. It could be an onslaught and could be over before Sunday even rolls around. I just see no way the US can compete with Europe this year.

Turn Off Ads?