Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: camisadelgolf's 10 Tips to Get Elected into tORG

Re: camisadelgolf's 10 Tips to Get Elected into tORG

I continue to wonder why people are so uptight and flustered about trying to get into the ORG? The Sun Deck is the exact same in every way to me with a few thread exceptions here and there. The fact that people obsess about it and get beyond angry is rather amusing in itself. If you want to chat baseball you can still do that in the Sun Deck and its still free. ???????
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have serious problems with 3, 6, 7, 9 and 11.

I've been on too many message boards where those limitations are blasphemy. It's in my blood.

I'm not so sure about #2. I've got people on my ignore list because they use emoticons like they're get out of jail free cards.

For instance:

I hate you and I hope you die.

I fantasize about killing you. :dancingco
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

lol

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

I have long considered emoticon abuse to be the online equivalent of the dude who insists on laughing at his own jokes (or otherwise punctuating the end of his speech with a gesture or a slap on the back or a "Hey, high five me, bro!").

The only reasons one would ever behave like this are: (1) one is a self-involved obnoxious twit who can barely believe how hilarious and likeable he is, or (2) one has a complete disregard for the intelligence and judgment of one's audience to determine on their own whether or not they feel like laughing or otherwise acknowledging your oratory.

Neither is fetching behavior.

[I know it speaks ill of my gender boundary aptitude, but I guess a third explanation could be (3) one is a girl or does not mind exhibiting effete tendancies. Chicks are allowed to be smiley and giggly and whatever, and nobody thinks anything of it; but if you're a dude doing it? You better be prepared to be taken as seriously as a male figure skater.]

That is my rant. It comes without emoticons, because I know you view me as a clever and charming (if slightly jerkish) wordsmith, and in return, I view you as intelligent enough to not fly of the handle. And if you WOULD fly off the handle? Well, then clearly you aren't intelligent enough to be operating the internets and I really do hate you and it was my intent to offend!

Yeah! Not emoticonning RULES!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    I have long considered emoticon abuse to be the online equivalent of the dude who insists on laughing at his own jokes (or otherwise punctuating the end of his speech with a gesture or a slap on the back or a "Hey, high five me, bro!").

The only reasons one would ever behave like this are: (1) one is a self-involved obnoxious twit who can barely believe how hilarious and likeable he is, or (2) one has a complete disregard for the intelligence and judgment of one's audience to determine on their own whether or not they feel like laughing or otherwise acknowledging your oratory.

[I know it speaks ill of my gender boundary aptitude, but I guess a third explanation could be (3) one is a girl or does not mind exhibiting effete tendancies. Chicks are allowed to be smiley and giggly and whatever, and nobody thinks anything of it; but if you're a dude doing it? You better be prepared to be taken as seriously as a male figure skater.]

That is my rant. It comes without emoticons, because I know you view me as a clever and charming (if slightly jerkish) wordsmith, and in return, I view you as intelligent enough to not fly of the handle. And if you WOULD fly off the handle? Well, then clearly you aren't intelligent enough to be operating the internets and I really do hate you and it was my intent to offend!

Rick
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post

Rick
    lol

This is the best post in the thread. I'm going to check out some of your other posts to see if you should be nominated in tORG.

I'd like to reiterate a point that seems to be a really important factor that's been swaying votes recently in the "call up" process. Disagreeing is good-just disagree respectfully.

At times, we all lose our tempers or succumb to frustration causing us to occasionally post something that we're not proud of after the fact. That said, such posts really stick out during the voting process and basically give people a reason to vote no. When a call up requires a plurality of the vote, it only takes turning off a few voters to get rejected.

So my best advice is that if you're interested in being in the ORG, post with an eye on how what you say will look in the archives.
    Last edited by jojo; 10-02-2008 at 11:23 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I'd like to reiterate a point that seems to be a really important factor that's been swaying votes recently in the "call up" process. Disagreeing is good-just disagree respectfully.

At times, we all lose our tempers or succumb to frustration causing us to occasionally post something that we're not proud of after the fact. That said, such posts really stick out during the voting process and basically give people a reason to vote no. When a call up requires a plurality of the vote, it only takes turning off a few voters to get rejected.

So my best advice is that if you're interested in being in the ORG, post with an eye on how what you say will look in the archives.
    Quoted for truth.

Bring out your personality when you post, but heed the above guidelines when you do. You'll thank yourself should you be voted on to join the ORG.

I just thought I'd bump this thread. It's a good one and could help others that have an interest in the ORG.

Here's some advice:

Or to put it another way, the best way to avoid stinking is to avoid skunks.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?