Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: camisadelgolf's 10 Tips to Get Elected into tORG

  1. #1
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,422

    camisadelgolf's 10 Tips to Get Elected into tORG

    First, let me say that I, like many others, was elected into tORG under the new system. To be honest, I was slightly frustrated by the system that was put in place, but I also realized that something needed to be done, and so far, I'm very glad the system is in place. Although it is not perfect, I see a big difference in the posting between tORG and the SunDeck. This doesn't mean only good posters are in tORG and only bad posters are in the SunDeck. It's a little bit like baseball--sometimes, a better player is in AAA, but he isn't getting called up because he needs to prove that he can be consistently good before he gets the call up. If you consistently make good posts in the SunDeck, you will be noticed, and if you want, you will have a chance to join tORG.

    As a member of tORG, I am able to read the discussions about all the nominees, and I see a lot of common themes come up that result in a poster not getting elected into tORG. I've seen people make very good posts but not granted ORG access as a result of just one or two bad posts. This is why I'd like to give some tips to help some of the good posters on SunDeck become a little bit better and hopefully result in an election to tORG.

    Here are things that I, as a voter, and many others in tORG love to see:
    1. Use decent grammar and spelling. Right or wrong, some people are very picky about this sort of thing. No one is expecting perfection, but just as an example, I have seen someone get negative votes as a result in typing in all capital letters. Please use a line break every once in a while, and try to avoid run-on sentences. If you completely butcher the spelling of several players' names, that doesn't look good either.
    2. If you're being sarcastic and/or facetious, try using emoticons. When we review your posts, we often don't have time to review the entire threads, and as a result, we miss a lot of the context of your post. Therefore, a sarcastic or facetious post can come off as mean or stupid instead of funny or clever. Personally, I have more of a dry humor, and a lot of my posts get lost in interpretation. Since I started adding an emoticon every once in a while, despite how silly I feel, my posts have been much better received.
    3. Don't have an ulterior motive. If you're constantly plugging your website or badgering people to click on links, it will seem like you want to be in tORG as a marketing ploy. No one likes salespeople, and if you're a lawyer, I'd recommend not revealing that until after being elected.
    4. Don't complain about RedsZone nor its policies/procedures. This might be the biggest one. Things are the way they are, and they're not going to change unless those in charge find something that seems like a better idea. Feel free to make suggestions in this forum, but if you unproductively complain, this will not be well-received AT ALL. If you're just going to complain about tORG, why would you want to join anyway?
    5. Try to avoid controversial topics. This should go without saying, but don't try to make a ridiculous metaphor that compares Bill Bray's pitching mechanics to an abortion. Don't touch on the topics of religion or politics at all (hopefully you read everything when you registered). Don't bring up the race of a player, especially if it's your way of 'backing up' a claim. The rest should be self-explanatory, but if you're not sure, I'd just recommend not posting it.
    6. Please limit your one-line posts. For example, "Valentin sux!" will never be a good post, even if it's true. "Edinson Volquez is awesome!" and "lol" are also not good posts. These lines are best used in a chat room.
    7. Ignore bad posts from others. Not all bad posts need commentary. In fact, the less commentary the better. The only thing worse than a bad post is an additional post that quotes said post to point out the lack of quality, resulting in bumping the thread and bringing more attention to it. "This makes no sense!" is probably not a good post.
    8. If you're going to use opinions, please provide facts to back it up. People in tORG love seeing data to back up claims. We love to see that the person cares enough about the Reds and RedsZone to educate Reds fans and provide insight. The Old Red Guard does not need more opinions. We're looking for people who can add in quality--not quantity. I think we all know what opinions are like.
    9. Avoid coming off as egotistical. If you say something like, "Homer Bailey needs to go to AAA," please don't leave it at that. You nor anyone else on RedsZone is the end-all say-all of these decisions. Either give reasons why he should be demoted (his WHIP looks like Tim Lincecum's ERA might be a serviceable example) or just add a simple 'imho'--you could be surprised how far that can go. "My 12-year-old daughter could manager better than Dusty Baker," is another example of a bad post (unless you are able to show some of her superior management skills).
    10. Try to mix in some positive comments. If your posts are always negative (which is fairly appropriate when you consider how the Reds have played lately ), then you will be associated with negative thoughts. Just because we Reds fans have been surrounded by negativity for the past decade or so doesn't mean we want more negativity in our lives. If you want to point out the negative, your post looks much better if you acknowledge the positive. "I don't like Adam Dunn as the Cincinnati Reds left fielder. Granted, he has a .900 OPS for his career, but his defensive blunders negate a lot of that, and I'd prefer to see someone cheaper who is more fundamentally sound and better in the clutch. The Reds give away too many runs on defense, have a problem with stranding runners on base, and the money saved could be used to extend contracts and improve the starting rotation."

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    434

    Re: camisadelgolf's 10 Tips to Get Elected into tORG

    Oh, in other words... kiss the mods rears? No thanks!
    80% of the earth is covered by water. The other 20% is covered by Eric Davis.

  4. #3
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,422

    Re: camisadelgolf's 10 Tips to Get Elected into tORG

    Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum View Post
    Oh, in other words... kiss the mods rears? No thanks!
    I just did searches for 'moderators', 'mods', and 'mod', and your post was the only one in this thread to come up. I'd say this post fits in with number nine.

    Anyway, I think the mods can vouch for me when I say I've never come close to kissing their rears, so to speak. I'd wager that I'm one of the more frequently-warned posters in tORG. Anyway, you bring up a good idea for an amendment to my thread.

    11. Do not bait. A message board is, in principle, set up for arguing. It's a group of anonymous people with various opinions who congregate and discuss specific topics. Naturally, with this, come many arguments. However, tORG is not looking for more arguing; just the opposite, actually. It is a forum that is intended for productive conversation, not endless bickering, despite how often it comes to that. However and unfortunately, every once in a while, posts or threads are made with the intention to 'bait'. To start a thread with the title, "The Reds Are Stupid for Not Re-Signing Kyle Lohse", is clearly baiting. Maybe "Maybe the Reds Should Have Re-Signed Kyle Lohse" would be a better way to phrase that.

    Fresh opinions are generally well-received so long as they are well-founded and worded in a way that shows that starting an argument isn't the main motive. No matter which message board you visit, if you want to find an argument, you can find it pretty easily, and tORG is no exception. But if you're seen as a 'baiter', you will almost definitely not get elected into tORG.

  5. #4
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: camisadelgolf's 10 Tips to Get Elected into tORG

    camisadelgolf's - good job in putting this together. I would have thought it pretty self-evident stuff, but it's good to have something in writing.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  6. #5
    WOOOOO!!! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,366

    Re: camisadelgolf's 10 Tips to Get Elected into tORG

    Good idea for a thread camisadelgolf and that looks like a great list. One other thing I would add to your list: Avoid personal attacks. It might be obvious, but changing the subject from disproving someone's elses idea to attacking them personally is a sure fire way to lose faith in the minds of tORG voters. Passion is a good thing, but remember that you are talking about the Reds and not other posters and you will be OK!



    Oh, and imaginary rep points to anybody who can break all 10 rules in a single response to this thread!

    (JK)
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  7. #6
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,038

    Re: camisadelgolf's 10 Tips to Get Elected into tORG

    Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum View Post
    Oh, in other words... kiss the mods rears? No thanks!
    I don't like having my rear kissed thank you very much. Rather, just follow the rules posted at the very bottom of every RZ page. No rear kissing required.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  8. #7
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,907

    Re: camisadelgolf's 10 Tips to Get Elected into tORG

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Oh, and imaginary rep points to anybody who can break all 10 rules in a single response to this thread!

    (JK)
    I was about to attempt this but I'm lazy
    Most Vottomatic Player

  9. #8
    You're Welcome
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Mythological Land of Dayton, OH
    Posts
    386

    Re: camisadelgolf's 10 Tips to Get Elected into tORG

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Oh, and imaginary rep points to anybody who can break all 10 rules in a single response to this thread!
    ***, teh only thing stupider then this post are the loosers in teh old RETARDED gaurd!!!!!!!!!!1111111!!!!!!!

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    VIZIT MY WEBSITE!
    My website is teh awxesome!!!!!!
    If u dont go to my website, ill just keep posting til u do!!!

    "I did it all for the nOOkie!" -- the greet one, Fred Durst
    Last edited by macro; 08-14-2008 at 12:58 AM. Reason: I know you were kidding, but it's still masked profanity...

  10. #9
    WOOOOO!!! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,366

    Re: camisadelgolf's 10 Tips to Get Elected into tORG

    Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    ***, teh only thing stupider then this post are the loosers in teh old RETARDED gaurd!!!!!!!!!!1111111!!!!!!!

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    VIZIT MY WEBSITE!
    My website is teh awxesome!!!!!!
    If u dont go to my website, ill just keep posting til u do!!!

    "I did it all for the nOOkie!" -- the greet one, Fred Durst
    Haha you broke rule 7!
    Last edited by macro; 08-14-2008 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Edit of quoted post
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  11. #10
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,774

    Re: camisadelgolf's 10 Tips to Get Elected into tORG

    Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    ***, teh only thing stupider then this post are the loosers in teh old RETARDED gaurd!!!!!!!!!!1111111!!!!!!!

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    VIZIT MY WEBSITE!
    My website is teh awxesome!!!!!!
    If u dont go to my website, ill just keep posting til u do!!!

    "I did it all for the nOOkie!" -- the greet one, Fred Durst
    Add something about abortion, and you might be the winner.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  12. #11
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,349

    Re: camisadelgolf's 10 Tips to Get Elected into tORG

    I have three rules -

    1) I don't post anything here that I wouldn't say to a person face to face.

    2) I assume that people who post here are my friends and I treat them the same way I would a friend. If you offend me I will ask you not to do it, but I will not get in a fight with you because I value friendship over winning arguments.

    3) I don't boo my team, not in person and not here.

    It may make me a boring poster, but that's just how my mama raised me.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    500

    Re: camisadelgolf's 10 Tips to Get Elected into tORG

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Haha you broke rule 7!
    He also neglected to bypass the filter, which will cost him some points I think. Sonovabeech...

  14. #13
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,429

    Re: camisadelgolf's 10 Tips to Get Elected into tORG

    Quote Originally Posted by Fon Duc Tow View Post
    He also neglected to bypass the filter, which will cost him some points I think.
    Not quite. Read the mod comment below his post.
    /r/reds

  15. #14
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    17,993

    Re: camisadelgolf's 10 Tips to Get Elected into tORG

    Great job camisadelgolf.

    I'd only add in summary: Trying to start an argument = bad. Formulating an argument= good. Also, attack the argument not the person making it (and an argument can be "attacked" in a respectful manner by focusing on the premises not the person making them-if need be, pretend that it's your mother who made the argument so that you word your response in a tactful manner). Finally, and this is the best advice I've seen given on redszone (though it can be hard to follow in the quick pace of a heated debate), pause before you hit the "post reply" button to consider if what you just wrote is something you'll be proud to have read by someone perusing the archives in the future.

    One final caveat, emoticons are helpful as camisadelgolf suggests, but very often posts are still lacking a great deal of conversational ques in the black and white which color meaning in normal conversation. Take a moment to consider if you're correctly understanding what the poster is truly trying to convey. None of us are perfect (and even fewer of us are poets) so it pays to be charitable-what seems like a jerkish response often reads magnitudes of order softer when read in the archives absent the tide of emotions that might be present in a thread at the time of posting.

    One final, final caveat: people can and will disagree with you (and it's a good thing by the way). That doesn't mean they are implying that another poster is stupid or less intelligent.

    One final, final, final caveat: Just as it's extremely hard to win Wheel of Fortune by asking for an "X", it's pretty difficult to use this respectfully and without raising the "noise to signal" ratio.

    Remember, the archives are a great resource-just make sure they don't record you mimicking a backside for posterity's sake.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  16. #15
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,747

    Re: camisadelgolf's 10 Tips to Get Elected into tORG

    Great comments throughout. My word of advice: avoid over-generalizing and/or exaggerating unless for comedic effect. In the process of formulating an argument, one often finds himself scrambling to add weight to his claim -- often as a result of how passionately he feels about it. (e.g. Adam Dunn ALWAYS strikes out in clutch situations)

    Unfortunately, statements such as this actually detract from the point being made. They plainly aren't true on the face of it, so the argument is no more convincing. And often, they lead to a side debate that isn't particularly germane.

    Really, this is a corollary to point #8 above. If you are going to make assertions, use facts. If you want to make a claim that somebody does something "all the time" or "too much" do everybody a favor (including yourself) and find out the actual number.

    On more than one occasion, I've had the following experience. I found myself ready to post some rant containing an exaggerated assertion after I read a bad article or witness another Dusty Baker Strategerific moment. Upon taking that deep breath before hitting submit (or sometimes after rereading what I've already posted), I decided to spend 5 minutes and find the data to back it up. When I found the data, it turns out that my assertion actually wasn't supported by the data. I had let my bias get the better of me.

    So, at minimum, don't exaggerate in the course of making a serious argument. At best, be explicit by finding the precise measure you're citing in generic language.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25