Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 555 of 1007

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

  1. #541
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,016

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    It's not a salary dump. The Reds are sending cash. Here's the scenario as I see it. The Reds do not want Adam Dunn. They would let him walk and take the two draft picks, however, they would have to offer him arbitration and he would have to refuse it for the Reds to get the picks. If they don't offer arbitration, they don't get the picks. Now the Reds figure if Dunn is offered arbitration he might take it, because he might get more money in arbitration than he would on the FA market because a lot of teams are sour on him. So the Reds figured they should at least get SOMETHING for Dunn, so they took this deal.

    That's how I see it too. The Reds did not want Dunn back. The signs were clear as day.

    This trade avoids the unpleasantry of risking offering Dunn arb (He might've accepted, as some FAs have done, like Maddux at Altanta).

    IMO, this A ball pitcher and two PTBL might be better than 2 comp picks anyway. Let's wait and see. As someone else pointed out, the AZ prospects are already paid for and further advanced.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #542
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,585

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Why is anyone remotely excited that cash is involved in this deal? As if the Reds have any kind of history of success with padding up the payroll with the right free agents, or even have all that much tied up in salary right now. "Cash" is the least of this team's concerns, and the fact that this saves the franchise money doesn't excite me in the least.

    You can look at this deal from the positive side by saying that Walt picked up three players in a deal when they would have likely only received two draft picks after losing him in the fall. Fair enough. My perspective however is that the Reds just gave up one of the most prolific offensive players in the game for a bag of balls because they either had no plans to re-sign him, didn't see fit to trade him during this past offseason while he still had trade value, or did not feel he was worth the amount of money he would be demanding.

    Either way, I can't view this trade as anything other than a failure and a sad commentary on the state of this franchise. When a player of Dunn's caliber walks out the door for essentially nothing but minor league chaff, I don't see how you can view it any other way.
    Excellent post.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

  4. #543
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,348

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    The players we receive are likely to be cheaper, that much is certain.
    True. I've read numerous posts after I posted that and the cost of those 1st round picks are something I'd overlooked. Also the fact that in order to get those 2 first round pics we'd have to offer arbitration to Dunner FIRST. And the risk for the Reds was that Dunn would ACCEPT arbitration. Then we'd be stuck with his big contract and get nothing in return. This just confirms the fact that Walt simply didn't want Dunn. It wasn't about the money as much as it was that Dunn didn't fit in with his concept of what he wants this team to become. I guess we'll wait and see.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  5. #544
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Why is anyone remotely excited that cash is involved in this deal? As if the Reds have any kind of history of success with padding up the payroll with the right free agents, or even have all that much tied up in salary right now. "Cash" is the least of this team's concerns, and the fact that this saves the franchise money doesn't excite me in the least.

    You can look at this deal from the positive side by saying that Walt picked up three players in a deal when they would have likely only received two draft picks after losing him in the fall. Fair enough. My perspective however is that the Reds just gave up one of the most prolific offensive players in the game for a bag of balls because they either had no plans to re-sign him, didn't see fit to trade him during this past offseason while he still had trade value, or did not feel he was worth the amount of money he would be demanding.

    Either way, I can't view this trade as anything other than a failure and a sad commentary on the state of this franchise. When a player of Dunn's caliber walks out the door for essentially nothing but minor league chaff, I don't see how you can view it any other way.
    The Reds budget for next year hasn't changed with this trade.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  6. #545
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    True. I've read numerous posts after I posted that and the cost of those 1st round picks are something I'd overlooked. Also the fact that in order to get those 2 first round pics we'd have to offer arbitration to Dunner FIRST. And the risk for the Reds was that Dunn would ACCEPT arbitration. Then we'd be stuck with his big contract and get nothing in return.
    Right. Oh, except for the fact that we'd have Dunn and his tremendously consistent offensive production.

    That's not "nothing."
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  7. #546
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    The Reds budget for next year hasn't changed with this trade.
    Well, exactly. Why would it? And by what measure should I be excited that the money they're saving on Dunn will actually go towards making the team better than they would be with him still here?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

  8. #547
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,611

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    he pitched A ball last season as well. He is way behind the curve and he is a guy who has never been known for having "plus" stuff. Jeremy Sowers without the arm injury is his upside.
    Buck had great stuff before he got hurt. If you watched the CWS in 2005, it was like watching a young Derek Lowe. If you watched in 2006, you couldn't believe it was the same pitcher. If all he really needed was TJ surgery, I can't believe he waited so long.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  9. #548
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Good for Adam, he gets to play games that actually matter for a change.

    As for the Reds, this does not surprise me one bit.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

  10. #549
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Well, exactly. Why would it? And by what measure should I be excited that the money they're saving on Dunn will actually go towards making the team better than they would be with him still here?
    Because Bob said the losing stops now...

    ...a few months ago.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  11. #550
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Buck had great stuff before he got hurt. If you watched the CWS in 2005, it was like watching a young Derek Lowe. If you watched in 2006, you couldn't believe it was the same pitcher. If all he really needed was TJ surgery, I can't believe he waited so long.
    Which makes him a great candidate for the type of low-risk/high-reward deals that originally brought Josh Hamilton to Cincinnati. But it makes him a less-than-thrilling candidate as trade fodder for one of the most consistent and productive offensive players in the league.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

  12. #551
    '92 Les Paul Custom Az Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Gilbert, Az
    Posts
    1,053

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Good for Adam, he gets to play games that actually matter for a change.

    As for the Reds, this does not surprise me one bit.
    Let's see if this changes Adam's focus.
    Hope Springs Eternal

  13. #552
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    They aren't. They are attemtpting to put together a team that can win in the future.
    You're right.

  14. #553
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,967

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    At least it signals one thing: total teardown mode. Like it, hate it--it IS a different approach.

    Everything's going out the door.

    Oh, and it certainly portends Jocketty sticking around. Which is a very, very good thing.

  15. #554
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,348

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I don't agree with that. The D-backs were desperate. The Dodgers landed Manny, and then Hudson got hurt. The Reds didn't have to do anything. They could've let Dunn walk at the end of the year instead of taking some kind of crap Arizona would throw at them.

    The pressure was on Arizona.
    Yes, the Reds could've let Dunn walk. But they would've gotten NOTHING in return. Absolutely nothing. The only way they'd get the draft picks from the claiming team is if we first offered arbitration to Dunn. And the risk there is that Dunn could accept arbitration. With his obvious decline in terms of value in the eyes of other teams...his agent could easily tell Adam to accept arbitration because it could be the best he could get. So I'm all for this deal. As for whether it'll be a good deal or not depends upon the 2 PTBNL...but either way, it shows that the Reds weren't going to re-sign him regardless.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  16. #555
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Yes, the Reds could've let Dunn walk. But they would've gotten NOTHING in return. Absolutely nothing. The only way they'd get the draft picks from the claiming team is if we first offered arbitration to Dunn. And the risk there is that Dunn could accept arbitration. With his obvious decline in terms of value in the eyes of other teams...his agent could easily tell Adam to accept arbitration because it could be the best he could get. So I'm all for this deal. As for whether it'll be a good deal or not depends upon the 2 PTBNL...but either way, it shows that the Reds weren't going to re-sign him regardless.
    Can you show me where this obvious decline is?
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25