Turn Off Ads?
Page 59 of 68 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Dunn will get his chance ... heard a D-Back beat writer who stated they will bat him 4th behind Conor Jackson.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

As much as we might not want to like the picture he paints, we should still recognize that Daugherty has spent more time with Adam Dunn and in the Reds' clubhouse than any of us have.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    As much as we might not want to like the picture he paints, we should still recognize that Daugherty has spent more time with Adam Dunn and in the Reds' clubhouse than any of us have.
    And if he's seen anything he doesn't care for there, he's all that much more obligated as a journalist to stick to the facts of Adam Dunn as a baseball player when he writes about him, unless makes it clear in the first paragraph that he's addressing anything else.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Team....28th in Offense

Reds + .900 OPSers over the last 3 years.

Adam Dunn .901

Josh Hamilton .922
    Adam Dunn .940

David Ross .932

KGJ .946
    AD .922

The purging is complete.
    Impressive. This is going to be one painful offense for the remainder of the season.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Does anyone really believe P. Daugherty when he says he knows who the Reds got?
    I may just have to ask him tomorrow....and then keep it a secret, too..

Paul Daugherty is a microcosm of both the sports media in that town and the overall sports culture. Being back home for a month earlier in the year was all I needed to realize the reasons I decided to leave that town.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Would you really do that? Can we set up some kind of secret/public code language?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by P-Doc
    Those enamored with numbers couldn’t get enough of Adam Dunn. Stat freaks genuflected at the foot of Dunn’s on-base percentage, while dismissing his detractors as ill-informed hacks.

Forty Homers! Hundred RBI! Hundred Runs! Look at that man. . . Walk! The standard argument was, and is, “How do you replace numbers like those?’’ We’re about to find out.

This is further evidence that Walt Jocketty evaluated the ’08 Reds and became ill. He has, in 11 days, removed the twin heads of the patient. Griffey and Dunn are elsewhere. Will the Reds be better without them? Could they be any worse?

Time now for the clubhouse culture to undergo a sea change. Who wants to win? Who wants to prepare to win? Anyone? Elvis and his sidekick have left the building. Who wants the footlights now?
    Wow. Just wow. This is as bad as the dumb stuff WLW did when Jr. left. Oh, that's right. P-Doc works for WLW now.

The two most productive Reds of the last decade are now gone. It's not either's fault that the club didn't put other productive players around them in order to win. Like a pitching staff and major league hitters, but blame it all on Junior and Dunn. As they go out the door.

Classy.

Not.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I had an email exchange with my wife's cousin in Arizona. Their family business is a corporate sponsor of the Dbacks. They seem to think the Reds are getting three pitchers for Dunn. But even they don't know for sure.

They are psyched to get Dunn. They seem to think that is the missing piece.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 08-11-2008 at 11:19 PM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    And he's spent more time with Chad Johnson than anyone else. Look what he created there.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Impressive. This is going to be one painful offense for the remainder of the season.
    and for the forseeable future ... way too many many hackers(low OBP).

Low power + low OBP = little offense

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I believe most of the press knows. They just can't tell. But if PD tells Matt, we expect him to "give us a full report," as Willie would say. Otherwise, we'll have to turn off the radio when he give traffic reports.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Would you risk offering Weathers arbitration though? I wouldn't (unless I wanted him back). He'd accept in a heartbeat, and get 3-4 million next year, easily.
    I think I might be the only person that would, yes. I think Weathers can get more money in FA and if he's a type A free agent that could be huge for the Reds.

Time now for the clubhouse culture to undergo a sea change. Who wants to win? Who wants to prepare to win? Anyone? Elvis and his sidekick have left the building. Who wants the footlights now?
    I suggest they hire Stuart Smalley.

With Dunn and Jr gone the Reds can chant
    Were good enough, were smart enough, and, doggonit, people like us!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I found this Dunn quote interesting:

And here I was under the impression that Dunn didn't care about winning. Perhaps he's just been depressed spending his career in a dysfunctional environment with no hopes of winning a thing.

As for whether or not it's a good trade, the PTBNL will give us our first impression -- and even then, it will take some time to see how guys pan out. Without details, I like the idea of getting 3 players with some minor league experience (read: more well developed scouting report) over 2 comp picks. We should consider that the quality of our return should be based on the assumption that the 2 comp picks are part of the value we're providing.
    I kinda doubt that do you really believe that Dunn is going to get offered Abr. bye the D-Backs? And them take the chance that he would accept it when they have all that money wrapped up in Byrnes in LF whom they are stuck with for the foreseeable future. Maybe I suppose they will feel he wouldn't accept just a 1 yr deal but I don't know if they take that risk for sure.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?