Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    This is a kick in the teeth to me.

I kind of knew this day was coming, but I thought it would come in November, or December.
    You thought we would trade Dunn in November or December when he was a FA?????

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    BTW, I would call up Dickerson and move EE to LF.
    Naaah. The Reds just had a guy that couldn't concentrate playing LF. You want replacing him who has total A.D.D.?

Via trade there may be an OF solution this off season but I am more inclined to think a Votto to LF approach may be in the works. There are moveable pieces out there it just comes down to fit and of course $$$. I would be more concerned with making a statement with the likes of a Sheets or Sabathia.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    For the first time in God only knows how long, there appears to be some semblance of a plan in the works. And for an organization that's been a dog for as long as the Reds have been, it's long overdue. Wait and see means you do just that before "drawing and quartering" Walt as you suggested.
    So you think Walt's just planted the magic bean, do ya?

Good luck with that.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Speaking of speedy outfielders, Dusty is dumb enough to want Patterson back. Do not think for a second that he would not suggest it. Walt is smart enough not to bite (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Dunn dealt to Diamondbacks

By Hal McCoy | Monday, August 11, 2008, 03:19 PM
    Latest comment

And now it is a full-fledged purge. First Ken Griffey Jr., now Adam Dunn.

The Cincinnati Reds traded their power-hitting left fielder this afternoon to the Arizona Diamondbacks for three prospects — Class A pitcher Dallas Buck and two players to be named later.

It is not a shock. Not even stunning.

The Reds were faced with trying to sign Dunn to a long-term contract before the season ended — and general manager Walt Jocketty does not do contracts during the season — or face losing him to free agency
    So am I to understand from this article that because he "does not do contracts during the season," Jocketty made no efforts to inquire about what it would take to resign Dunn? So even you join the team as GM in the middle of the season, and your best player is a free agent at the end of that season, you can't make an exception to your stupid policy about mid-season contracts?

Infuriating.

Maybe Walt got a good return, he had a ton of leverage with the season ending injury to Hudson. The Snakes had to get another bat and their options were obviously limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Maybe they can get Owings to play LF on his days off.
    We already have one starting pitcher who is hitting better than a starting OF

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    So you think Walt's just planted the magic bean, do ya?

Good luck with that.
    Yet another baseless assumption on your part. I know you're pissed, but you're full of em today.

I'm actually giddy with excitement for the team. Plenty of $ available to re-shape the club in the off-season. Bravo, Jocketty. :
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Naaah. The Reds just had a guy that couldn't concentrate playing LF. You want replacing him who has total A.D.D.?

Via trade there may be an OF solution this off season but I am more inclined to think a Votto to LF approach may be in the works. There are moveable pieces out there it just comes down to fit and of course $$$. I would be more concerned with making a statement with the likes of a Sheets or Sabathia.
    Nothing like signing a big name FA pitcher for $18 million and then watching him lose because your team can't score.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I'll feel a lot better about the trade if Micah Owings is included in the deal. He's struggled this year but last year he posted a 4.30 ERA, 6.25 K/9, 2.12 K/BB, and .761 OPS against as a rookie in 152.2 innings. He's only 25 years old and still has a chance to develop into a fine middle of the rotation starter, plus the dude can flat out hit.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I'm actually giddy with excitement for the team. Plenty of $ available to re-shape the club in the off-season. Bravo, Jocketty. :
    There's more money for the offseason now than there was this morning?

How?

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post

Just because Votto has played in the OF doesn't make him any better than Dunn was. Sure Dunn's eventual destination is 1B, that doesn't mean I want to see 1 inning of Votto in LF to make room for what Alonzo MIGHT be.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The return isn't going to be Owings or Scherzer -- if either of those two were on the table at any point, this deal would've gotten done at the deadline. Besides, there's no way 'Zona would cut on a pitcher and hitter of Owings capabilities this early in his career for a guy that is basically a rent-a-player.

And also remember, Arizona had the leverage here since they were (according to reports) the claiming team.

I'd be shocked if the PTBNL were anything more than back-end throw ins from the low minors.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Yet another baseless assumption on your part. I know you're pissed, but you're full of em today.
    Don't worry.

My tirades don't last long.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?