Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 68 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
Results 796 to 810 of 1007

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

  1. #796
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,683

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Hence, the
    Then why the reference to "trading in the same division"?

    It could only mean you doubted that the Cards would trade Carpenter to a team in their own division (hence the rolling eyes).

    Otherwise, such reference makes no sense.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #797
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,001

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I personally think neither is a sensical candidate for the Reds.
    You're probably right (well, I know you're right about Lowe). But man, the lightning that could be left in Carpenter's arm...

  4. #798
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Okay, so after some research I think I understand the waivers rules a bit better. What I don't understand is this:

    If the two PTBNL have to clear waivers before the deal is official, what is to stop other clubs from placing claims on them before the 48-hour wait period is over?

    That is, say Micah Owings and Josh Whitesell are currently on waivers. And say the Astros make a waiver claim on both of them. Wouldn't that screw up the trade? Or would Walt just have to renegotiate for different players?

    Sorry if I'm being dense here, but I'm just trying to figure out how this works.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  5. #799
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I very much don't like this trade if Eric Byrnes is the principle return.

    I like it a bit better if it is Owings + Buck + a young, cheap bat with upside.
    Ditto.

    After reading the blurb about Byrnes I'm even more worried that he could be part of the return.

    Mentions of "one man wrecking crew" and the notion he could be an outfield platoon is not promising.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  6. #800
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Mentions of "one man wrecking crew" and the notion he could be an outfield platoon is not promising.
    I wonder if he has an imaginary friend, too? At the very least, he's got a dog who can swim well.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  7. #801
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Well, a lot of folks are going to get exactly what they wanted on offense. And we'll see how much *better* it is.

    I'll wait to see the full return before I form a full opinion, but if they don't go out and get a big bat this off-season, next year's Reds are goig to have one of the worst offenses we've seen in decades. I know I'm not looking forward to it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  8. #802
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,683

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Didn't know he got re-injured. I'd still be seeing if they would give him up for nothing.
    They wouldn't be giving him up for nothing.

    They would be giving him up to save $45M.

    That would be quite a savings..

    I know Carpenter is very capable of getting back to a reasonable pitcher.

    But if he was a FA today, he would likely get an incentive laden contract. He would currently have negative trade value. I wouldn't take him for nothing.

  9. #803
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,919

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You're probably right (well, I know you're right about Lowe). But man, the lightning that could be left in Carpenter's arm...
    Guys like Carpenter... I love signing them when they rehab and such, but you almost have to deal them after they start making lots of money. Carp sure has the upside, but for every good year, you might get 1-2 injury riddled seasons.

    The Cards were crazy to extend him prematurely. I prefer the Rich Harden rode. Wait for the first dominating period, and flip them before they get injured again.

  10. #804
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,372

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Okay, so after some research I think I understand the waivers rules a bit better. What I don't understand is this:

    If the two PTBNL have to clear waivers before the deal is official, what is to stop other clubs from placing claims on them before the 48-hour wait period is over?

    That is, say Micah Owings and Josh Whitesell are currently on waivers. And say the Astros make a waiver claim on both of them. Wouldn't that screw up the trade? Or would Walt just have to renegotiate for different players?

    Sorry if I'm being dense here, but I'm just trying to figure out how this works.
    If they are claimed, the D'backs pull them back and the deal is completed at the end of the season. All it would mean is we wait a little longer to get our new players.

    Also....I'm stunned. I can't believe it.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  11. #805
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,431

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Then why the reference to "trading in the same division"?

    It could only mean you doubted that the Cards would trade Carpenter to a team in their own division (hence the rolling eyes).

    Otherwise, such reference makes no sense.
    I'm a little confused, but I don't think they would trade pitcher with his upside within the same division (contract be damned). At the same time, I don't want the Reds to acquire him if they are in rebuild mode.

    As for Derek Lowe, I advocated the Reds signing him before this "rebuild", but I don't think it is a good idea anymore. I just feel he is a better choice than Chris Carpenter regardless the situation...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  12. #806
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Well, a lot of folks are going to get exactly what they wanted on offense. And we'll see how much *better* it is.

    I'll wait to see the full return before I form a full opinion, but if they don't go out and get a big bat this off-season, next year's Reds are goig to have one of the worst offenses we've seen in decades. I know I'm not looking forward to it.
    I think the only big bats on the market this off-season are Mark Teixeira and Adam Dunn. Teixeira is okay, but I want no part of Dunn. He strikes out too much, is laid back, and plays bad defense.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  13. #807
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    If they are claimed, the D'backs pull them back and the deal is completed at the end of the season. All it would mean is we wait a little longer to get our new players.

    Also....I'm stunned. I can't believe it.
    I see. Thanks!
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  14. #808
    Member Wheelhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,908

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Guys, we weren't gonna get much of a return for a month and a half for Dunn, but why didn't Walt just take the picks if he is gonna get 2 PTBNL?
    Because he'd have to be offered then refuse arbitration for the Reds to get the picks, and based on how Dunn is ill-thought of by so many teams, his agent just might encourage him to take the arbitration. At least Walt got something for Dunn.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

  15. #809
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,683

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Okay, so after some research I think I understand the waivers rules a bit better. What I don't understand is this:

    If the two PTBNL have to clear waivers before the deal is official, what is to stop other clubs from placing claims on them before the 48-hour wait period is over?

    That is, say Micah Owings and Josh Whitesell are currently on waivers. And say the Astros make a waiver claim on both of them. Wouldn't that screw up the trade? Or would Walt just have to renegotiate for different players?

    Sorry if I'm being dense here, but I'm just trying to figure out how this works.

    If they (or either) is claimed, they would simply be traded after the season when they could pass to the Reds without waivers. But it's unlikely any team would block them. They would know they are going to the Reds, and they would have chance of getting them. Also, the Reds would claim them, so they would only have to worry about teams behind them claiming them.

  16. #810
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,431

    Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Because he'd have to be offered then refuse arbitration for the Reds to get the picks, and based on how Dunn is ill-thought of by so many teams, his agent just might encourage him to take the arbitration. At least Walt got something for Dunn.
    A. He would not accept arbitration

    B. He's not as ill-thought of as you think

    C. If he accepted arbitration, that would probably be the best case scenario
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25