30 53.57%
  • C

4 7.14%
  • D

5 8.93%
  • F

4 7.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grade the Dunn Trade, assuming...

Grade the Dunn Trade, assuming...

the PTBNLs are Micah Owings and Josh Whitesell, as is rumored.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Grade the Dunn Trade, assuming...

why don't we wait until trade is finalized

Nothing quite like a hypothetical poll. I agree with Princeton, this is premature

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Nothing quite like a hypothetical poll. I agree with Princeton, this is premature
    its more fun than 1100 posts on the trade itself

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    the PTBNLs are Micah Owings and Josh Whitesell, as is rumored.
    might as well wait until we know ...
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

shall we also grade the Jay Bruce trade, five years ahead of time?

B. Saves money both now and next year and we weren't bringing Dunn back next year (and regardless of what we think they should have done in that case, it wasn't happening). So Dunn for two guys that could probably help next year and Buck is better than Dunn for a month and a half and 2 draft picks + about 5.5 million bucks spent paying Dunn and the draft picks between this and next year.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    shall we also grade the Jay Bruce trade, five years ahead of time?
    I'll give it a shot. I say it's a win. We get tremendous payflex, and the prospects we're rumored to get in return from _________ will do well for the ongoing rebuild. If they're able to re-attach Volquez's arm, we may be able to compete for a winning record.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I voted "B", but I think if you take the circumstances into account, it could easily be argued to be an "A" if that return is true.

I guess I just voted a "B" because it doesn't really knock my socks off. But that is a very good return for 6 weeks of a guy that has a limited no trade clause.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

If its Buck, Whitesell and Owings for Dunn , I'm not excited.

A 24 year old pitcher in A ball coming off TJ surgery , a 26 year old 1st sacker putting up decent numbers in hitter friendly PCL AND a pitcher with a near 6 era and better known for his hitting is hardly promising.

Will be interesting to see if that even ends up being the final trade.

Quote Originally Posted by indy_dave00 View Post
    If its Buck, Whitesell and Owings for Dunn , I'm not excited.

A 24 year old pitcher in A ball coming off TJ surgery , a 26 year old 1st sacker putting up decent numbers in hitter friendly PCL AND a pitcher with a near 6 era and better known for his hitting is hardly promising.

Will be interesting to see if that even ends up being the final trade.
    Then I have to ask, what kind of return did you expect for 1.5 months of Adam Dunn?

I didn't vote, because I don't quite see the point in voting on something like this until we know what the return is.

However my own personal feelings, regardless of the return, is that it is unfortunate that the Reds couldn't find a way to keep such a talented and productive player in the fold. Using that criteria alone, I'd rate the trade as "unsatisfactory".
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I'd hoped to re-sign him. Short of that I hoped for at least one top 5 prospect , a journeyman outfielder and Buck as the toss in. As it is now I'll be surprised if even Owings is included.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    However my own personal feelings, regardless of the return, is that it is unfortunate that the Reds couldn't find a way to keep such a talented and productive player in the fold. Using that criteria alone, I'd rate the trade as "unsatisfactory".

That's why baseball is not as much fun to follow as it once was. Blame the uneven economic playing field. The Reds can't afford Dunn like the Cubs and others can. We're forced to do it the Twins/A's way. It's a different set of rules. The Cubs can sign a Fukadome and a Soriano and we sign a Jerry Hairston Jr. If we do splurge on a Dunn or a Cordero then we don't have any money left for a CF, C or 3B. If we had signed Dunn like you'd asked we would have had precious little jack left to fill the numerous holes on this team. We know with Dunn and a lot of holes, we're a last place team. WJ is betting that sans Dunn and we fill several holes with that $15mill be can be competitive.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That's why baseball is not as much fun to follow as it once was. Blame the uneven economic playing field. The Reds can't afford Dunn like the Cubs and others can. We're forced to do it the Twins/A's way. It's a different set of rules. The Cubs can sign a Fukadome and a Soriano and we sign a Jerry Hairston Jr. If we do splurge on a Dunn or a Cordero then we don't have any money left for a CF, C or 3B. If we had signed Dunn like you'd asked we would have had precious little jack left to fill the numerous holes on this team. We know with Dunn and a lot of holes, we're a last place team. WJ is betting that sans Dunn and we fill several holes with that $15mill be can be competitive.
    The Cubs way could just as easily be called the Mariners way or the Giants way. The Twins are winning their division and the A's have scored more runs than they've allowed despite it being a clear rebuilding year. The Marlins and Mets have virtually the same record even though the Mets have outspent them by $110,000,000 on payroll this year. The Rays have the 2nd lowest payroll in baseball -- and the best record. Money helps, but it isn't fate. At the end of the day, well run organizations can and do compete; Poorly run organizations don't.

You're right Sea Ray; We are forced to do it the Twins/A's way. I'm not sure that's such a bad thing. To me, the only thing to judge is 3 prospects versus 2 picks. The non-extension is a different question, one which had apparently long since been answered by Jocketty. Just as important as the guys we get back in this trade is how Jocketty goes about filling the hole. In St. Louis he extended his Dunn (Rolen, Edmonds). Can he do it the Twins/A's way and trade for and/or develop Dunn's replacement?
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 08-12-2008 at 04:56 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?