Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I suspect Arroyo could be next, but I would only trade him for a great return. I still think he'll bounce back into a solid #3/4 starter.
    I suspect Walt hates the contract and wants free of it so he has financial room to move. If he can find a home for Cordero this winter he may be gone, too. No telling except from here to ST it's going to be very interesting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This makes the Cordero signing look kinda stupid too...

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I like the move. I've been saying all along this team could not afford to commit the kind of money it would take to keep Dunn because it has to be used to bring in help on more than one of the problems facing us. The move is honest.

I agree and those fans that argued that we can afford Dunn were smoking something. The payroll is not going to magically go up to $90mill.

I've read thousands of posts about Adam Dunn over the last years and I admire him as a good power hitter with OBP skills. I have always credited Dunn for his "football" mentality, he plays every inning. I've even complimented his effort in the field.

But let's not go crazy. The guy was hitting .233.

I know the arguments about BA, and I usually wouldn't emphasize it. But .233.

So, yes, it is a big step for the Reds, unclear how it will pan out. Yes the team could get worse, although it's hard to imagine.

But when a player is a free agent, wants to test the free agent market, will insist on big dollars to re-sign, the team needs new direction, and he's hitting .233, I think we can understand the move and go on to the next.

I wish Dunn good luck. Hope he gets on a top offensive team that will set the table better than the Reds did. I also hope he is appreciated for his talents in free agency. I've enjoyed his effort. But bigger trades have been made, the world will not end, and let's hope Jocketty brings a winning formula to the Reds soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Warning to Arizona: Dunn is not known for his stellar Septembers. Once football season starts, his numbers tend to dip.
    Dunn's teams usually have nothing to play for in September.

WLW said rumor out of Az is 2 players have to clear waivers.
    Pennant or bust!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    According to Baseball Prospectus, Baseball America, and John Sickles' lists before the season, Buck wasn't even one of the D'backs top 20 prospects- and that's after the purge that landed them Dan Haren. Buck hasn't exactly lit it up this season, so I see no reason why he would be significantly higher. I would have to guess that one of the PTBNL has to be a Scherzer, Parker, or at least Parra. If not, then this deal sucks. I'd rather have the draft picks.
    I could see Parra, but not Scherzer or Parker. I don't think the D-Backs were that desperate. It would make sense to get some sort of OF back for Dunn.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    This makes the Cordero signing look kinda stupid too...
    Yup.

If Dunn's gone, I want Cordero, Arroyo and compay gone as well.

Blow it up, Walt.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Well, the emotional shock is starting to ware off a bit.

I guess I can buy into the idea that a teardown has to be painfull.

But still willing the bet the return sucks. And I'm not real confident they'll actually tear the whole thing apart, let alone rebuild it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    We don't even know the entire return just yet.
    So far it is another outfielder traded for a pitcher, one that has already had surgery.

I was hoping that this GM would get much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Az Red View Post
    WLW said rumor out of Az is 2 players have to clear waivers.
    How can the deal already be announced if two of the players haven't cleared waivers yet?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Yup.

If Dunn's gone, I want Cordero, Arroyo and compay gone as well.

Blow it up, Walt.
    And Harang. (probably not tradeable right this second, but off-season)

If they even hint at half-assing this, forget it.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Dunn's teams usually have nothing to play for in September.
    We needed him 2 years ago and he stunk up the joint in Sept

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    And Harang. (probably not tradeable right this second, but off-season)

If they even hint at half-assing this, forget it.
    Why would they trade Harang, too? His deal is actually really reasonable and he's at the lowest possible value right now. Even if you're going to go with the rest of the rotation as young pitchers, it would seem to make sense to have one vet to lead them.

I'm old. I look at it like this. The last GM we got from Saint Loo wasn't so bad. Maybe this time's the charm, too. My trust is in Jocketty and it would seem he has complete control now to drivethis thing as he sees fit. Maybe the current losing skein got him the whole set of car keys from Bob.

Turn Off Ads?