Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Doesn't matter -- the odds of one or both of the PTBNL being better than the type of player available to the Reds as compensation draft picks is slim to none.
    Comp picks aren't exactly gold.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    At least one of these guys have to be in the deal for it to be considered a decent return: Max Scherzer, Micah Owings, Jarrod Parker, or Miguel Montero.
    It can't be Montero or Owings since they are with Az and the rule is that they must change leagues to be a PTBNL. Rule out anyone currently on the Arizona 25 man.

Except we're giving cash, not getting it. Which makes it pretty much the opposite of 2003.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Did we actually get LESS for Dunn than we did for Griffey? I never would have expected that.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Comp picks aren't exactly gold.
    Especially the way this clueless franchise tends to draft.

Never mind.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

I mean, at least for Griffey we got a ML level pitcher...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    That'd be a shame too, I'd rather try again at that slot next year versus give into Alonso's demands (he is not worth what he is demanding.)

Also put me down on record, 3:13 PM EST on 8/11/2008.... a day the Reds are going to end up regretting unless we're getting a Parker or a Schezer or someone of that caliber back which is highly doubtful.

If the return is less than the two draft picks, I think Walt is only going to confirm that he is a dinosaur. Now if the plan is to resign Dunn and thus the two picks wouldn't have even been an option.... THAT could be a different story.
    A dinosaur with a World Series ring from two seasons ago

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Except we're giving cash, not getting it. Which makes it pretty much the opposite of 2003.
    Ah...I misread that too.

GIVING cash AND Dunn?

I'm about to have a Fred Sanford moment.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    Maybe not. If the Reds threw in some cash, as the release says, that may improve the quality of the return. I can't imagine they'd kick in cash for Buck and some filler. Esp for just 2 months of Dunn.
    I don't think they will get back filler, but they aren't going to get either one of their stud's either in Parker or Scherzer.

When the first name mentioned has lost 5-7 mph off of his fastball (young Paul Wilson, anyone?), I'd hardly expect the players NOT mentioned to be anything of value.

Garbage. Garbage. Garbage.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Jocketty: Adam, we really want to re-sign you.

Dunn: And I want to re-sign and finish my career in Cincinnati, Walt.

Jocketty: But I need you to do a favor for this franchise first.

Dunn: Sure thing, anything for the Reds!

Jocketty: We are going to trade you to a contender so we can get some extra prospects. Heck, maybe you will even get to play in the playoffs. Then, when the season ends, you can re-sign and come back to Cincinnati.

Dunn: Great plan! Where am I going?

Jocketty: Arizona. We haven't had time to figure out which players we are getting in return because I have spent my whole afternoon formulating this plan with you.

My dream...

This is a good deal for the most productive Reds player of this horrific decade IF

....Buck's arm returns to health after TJ surgery

....Buck can make it from A to the big leagues

....the two prospects are of interest and not just scratch off tickets

....the amount of cash is significant enough to be used elsewhere

That's a whole lotta "ifs" for this deal to make more sense than inking a 4 year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't think they will get back filler, but they aren't going to get either one of their stud's either in Parker or Scherzer.
    Yeah, after I re-read the page I realized that. But for me, know they threw in some money too makes the expectation much higher than the actual return might be. I'm setting up for a let down.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

I told my sons about this, and my 12 year old said: "Are the Reds drunk!", and he couldn't beleive the Reds did this.

I will reserve judgment until we know the whole deal. But I think that there has to be some decent substance to the PTBNL. Otherwise, we gave up two months of Dunn and the two comp draft picks for one pitcher trying to recover from TJ surgery.

Dunn's final 2008 line as a Red:
    .233/.373/.528 for an OPS of .901.
    32 HRs, 74 RBIs, 58 runs scored, 80 BBs, and 120 Ks.

As to saying Dunn was not worth much, I disagree. Not many .900 OPS guys are avilable right now. All those teams close to making the playoffs would have wanted him. I think some of the talk was just to drive down his value.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Turn Off Ads?