Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Why is he going there?
    To avoid the phone calls?

2. Turn Off Ads?

So, how much in contract money do the Reds have committed in 2009?

And I wonder what BCast will set the budget at?

I know I just heard the sound of the Reds hitting bottom. I just wonder how fast the rebound will be.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Only if they re-sign Dunn.
    Nah, they are trying to make the playoff and get to the WS. Only having to give up some fodder not named Scherzer is a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Here's an odd thought: with Griffey and Dunn being dealt the current player who's been with the Reds the longest is Aaron Harang. The second longest? Would you believe, Javier Valentin.
    That's pretty depressing. Of course, there's no shortage of depressing tidbits with this team.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

I know I just heard the sound of the Reds hitting bottom. I just wonder how fast the rebound will be.
    They'd already done that.

This is the aftermath.

New Reds marketing slogan....

"The Cincinnati Reds: It's like 1982 all over again!"

Haunted by walks

With proper credit:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...n+perez&page=5

Reds All-Time Home Run Leaders
    1. Johnny Bench - 389
    2. Frank Robinson - 324
    3. Tony Perez - 287
    4. Adam Dunn - 270
    5. Ted Kluszewski - 251
    6. George Foster - 244
    7. Ken Griffey, Jr. - 210
    8. Eric Davis - 203
    9. Barry Larkin - 198
    10. Vada Pinson - 186
    11. Wally Post - 172
    12. Gus Bell - 160
    13. Joe Morgan - 152
    13. Pete Rose - 152
    15. Lee May - 147
    16. Dan Driessen - 133
    17. Reggie Sanders - 125
    18. Ernie Lombardi - 120
    19. Sean Casey - 118
    20. Frank McCormick - 110
    21. Dave Parker - 107
    22. Chris Sabo - 104
    23. Dave Concepcion - 101
    24. Gordy Coleman - 98
    25. Paul O'Neill - 96

Well I like the move in that we are finally looking to rebuild from the ground up. We simply cannot continue the same path. Sure Adam is a good player but yes he has flaws. We need a different approach, hopefully the other 2 guys are good prospects, and we use the $$$ saved to sign Yonder Alonzo. We have young talent in the minors, lets give Jocketty a full offseason to build a team. Guys I like in 2009 that are FA's:

1)Pat Burrell(LF)
    2)Orlando Hudson(2B)
    --plus this gives him more prospects to use to acquire other guys in the offseason!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Why is he going there?
    To sign Yorman Rodriguez, the top rated Dominican prospect in this years International class. He turns 16 on Friday and is eligible to sign that day. The Reds have long been rumored to have a deal in place for Yorman and this all but confirms it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    I hate to say this, but I agree. Unless the players to be named later are whoppers, this has the signs of a pure and simple salary dump.

On the other hand, Dunn will be pulling in a lot next year - a lot. A lot more than Griffey had - and if the bidding gets passionate enough, he could even near Giambi-type numbers. I am not sure that a ball club like the Reds would have been able to afford him and put up winning numbers.
    And that, in more ways than one, is a tragedy.
    It's not a salary dump. The Reds are sending cash. Here's the scenario as I see it. The Reds do not want Adam Dunn. They would let him walk and take the two draft picks, however, they would have to offer him arbitration and he would have to refuse it for the Reds to get the picks. If they don't offer arbitration, they don't get the picks. Now the Reds figure if Dunn is offered arbitration he might take it, because he might get more money in arbitration than he would on the FA market because a lot of teams are sour on him. So the Reds figured they should at least get SOMETHING for Dunn, so they took this deal.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    We don't even know the entire return just yet.
    I love a good teardown as much as the next guy, but when you trade your best offensive player while not being able to identify what you're getting in return.....It's not exactly gonna do much to instill confidence in said return.

Sometimes we don't find out who the PTBNL is for months. It could be december for all we know.

That's unacceptable to me, as it should for other fans who've invested so much emotion in a player who grew up as a Red, made his name here, hit 270 freaking home runs here, and played his guts out here (wether the BadFundamentals crowd wants to believe that or not).

Yeah, I'm pissed, and it's not exactly something that needs to be logically quantified right now.

PTBNL my arse.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    How did he clear waivers?
    the Snakes may have claimed him.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    So start with the things that were going WRONG. Adam Dunn wasn't on that list.
    No, Adam Dunn wasn't what's wrong with this team. Problem is there are so many things wrong, difficult decisions like this one sometimes must be made. What we don't know at this time is (1) who else will be heading to Cincy as part of this deal (2) who else is on their way outta town (that's 3 starters either dealt or let go in 12 days) and (3) how will Bob's $$ be spent in the offseason.

Stay tuned

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So, how much in contract money do the Reds have committed in 2009?

And I wonder what BCast will set the budget at?

At least we know the Reds just hit bottom. We're still waiting to know whether the housing market has further to fall.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Brantley was just on WLW yapping about how the Reds are signaling a change in their philosophy for the type of team Jocketty is going to build.

He says we're going to focus on defense and speed, not sitting back and waiting on the home run.

The way he said it sounded like it may be the way the broadcasters and Reds management talk among themselves.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?