Turn Off Ads?
Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Team....28th in Offense

Reds + .900 OPSers over the last 3 years.

Adam Dunn .901

Josh Hamilton .922
    Adam Dunn .940

David Ross .932

KGJ .946
    AD .922

The purging is complete.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Hmm hadn't heard that nugget. We assumed 2 pitchers and 1 offensive player. So now that leads me to believe Owings/Buck and 1 of Gutierrez/Fruto/Vasquez/Paguero.
    I'm not 100% positive on that...it was more of an assumption based on the fact he introduced his Sportstalk time saying we traded Dunn for pitchers. I assumed he meant all 3 were pitchers. Definitely could be 2/1 deal though and he just misspoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    1 of Gutierrez/Fruto/Vasquez/Paguero.
    a pocketful of turds

Am I the only one who finds it funny that Dunn is going to a better team and batting cleanup? Huh. I guess Orlando Hudson isn't a power hitter.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Paul Daugherty is a blithering idiot who seems to be flexing his beer muscles now that Dunn is out of town. What an utter piece of trash that article is, not that I'm surprised.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

If the Reds take a position player the ONLY one I would want is D'Antona

Words...no words...

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

What's the Jock doing flying to the Dominican? Shouldn't he be making a stop in Miami to make sure he can get Yonder in the fold? Isn't Yonder's deadline this week?

All dyslexics must untie!

So I get back from a well-earned vacation and delve into a plethora of emails only to learn that Dunn's been traded for a local guy who played at...OSU (for me, this would be like the Vikings trading for QB Derek Anderson...)

<pauses to get a grip>

Dallas Buck is from Newberg, that's where I've lived for 10+ years. I've never met him, but I have a "baseball" friend who's a Beaver (we "usually" get along, even though I'm a Duck.) I sent my friend a couple of emails to get a "hometown scouting report" on DB

(Here's the gist)

gm: Did you know Buck when he lived in Newberg?

gm's friend: Yes. I have known his dad for 30+ years. Dallas played little league against my middle son, and Legion with him. A tremendous athlete with a small head.

gm: Small head as in hat size, or as in not too bright?

gm's friend: Big head as in ego, small head as in intellect. He had problems staying eligible in HS, and showed up to basketball practice drunk. He was the starting QB as a sophomore on the NHS football team that lost in the last quarter to North Medford in the quarterfinals. I also saw him sit in the outfield and cry at a baseball tourney when he got knocked out of the box. He could be a psycho, but has calmed some in the ensuing years.

So, there you have it. Most of us have done things we regret in our high school-college years. But since he's from around here I thought I'd pass along the background info
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    I'm not 100% positive on that...it was more of an assumption based on the fact he introduced his Sportstalk time saying we traded Dunn for pitchers. I assumed he meant all 3 were pitchers. Definitely could be 2/1 deal though and he just misspoke.
    Hmm, ok.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    The idiot has spoken.

Doc: So now what?

By Paul Daugherty • pdaugherty@enquirer.com • August 11, 2008

The Reds, who are exciting only when they’re not playing, traded Adam Dunn to the Arizona Diamondbacks today for a 23-year-old, Class A starting pitcher named Dallas Buck who, in another life, died in old Western movies.
    Advertisement

Cincinnati also will receive two players as yet unnamed. Unless the pair throw like Seaver or hit like Perez, you have to wonder what’s up.

As insignificant as Dunn was to winning here, 40 homers and 100 RBI don’t appear magically every March. After the club traded Ken Griffey Jr., the brass wanted to see if Dunn would emerge as a clubhouse presence. Apparently, after 11 days, the brass had seen enough.

Regardless, Dunn’s tax bracket didn’t match his production, at least not here. He’d have wanted too much money for what he provided. Dunn was who he was: A guy who could hit a baseball 400 feet more often than almost anyone else, but couldn’t produce a two-out RBI single.

He was slow, he had a mediocre arm, he played a dangerous left field. He was a big man whose bigness could give the impression he wasn’t trying. Baseball wasn’t his passion. It was his job. He played it that way.

“Another day closer to retirement," Dunn said once a few years ago, around the batting cage before a game. That was Dunn. His teammates liked him, but he didn’t lead. Laid back should be a character trait, not a career choice. Not when you’re making $13 million.

It’s doubtful Arizona will keep him after this season. Dunn will be the prototypical DH in ‘09, when his adventures in Left Field Land won’t be duplicated.

Did you really want the Reds to lock up $60 million for Adam Dunn? Did you want them to offer him arbitration and hope he’d decline it, so the club would get two draft picks? What if he accepted? (Hint: More of the same.)

Did you see anyone involved believing a one-year deal was worth the effort, given Dunn’s (and the team’s) track record during his stay in Cincinnati?

If the Reds paid Dunn for four years, they’d wreck any chances of fundamentally improving the team, unless they jacked the payroll considerably, which they aren’t going to do. You’d also wonder how a 28-year-old, chronically overweight player would get better, or even maintain his current pace.

The optimum would have been for the Reds to move Dunn before the trade deadline. Nobody wanted him. That’s why Mark Teixeira was dealt, and Jason Bay and Manny Ramirez and Xavier Nady, while the Big Donkey stayed a Red.

Dunn’s value was always seen as greater in Cincinnati than elsewhere. To be dealt to Arizona, Dunn had to clear waivers. Any other club could have claimed him and the trade would not have been made. None did. Because J.P. Ricciardi was wrong to say what he said about Dunn doesn’t mean what he said was wrong.

You could say the rest of Major League Baseball was being nice to the Reds and the Diamondbacks. Or you could suggest Dunn ain’t all that.

I suggest the latter. More to the point: Dunn never improved. He went through a steady stream of hitting coaches, none of whom could change his style or approach. After coach No. 3 or 4, you start to believe it was the hitter, not his coach.

Those enamored with numbers couldn’t get enough of Adam Dunn. Stat freaks genuflected at the foot of Dunn’s on-base percentage, while dismissing his detractors as ill-informed hacks.

Forty Homers! Hundred RBI! Hundred Runs! Look at that man. . . Walk! The standard argument was, and is, “How do you replace numbers like those?’’ We’re about to find out.

This is further evidence that Walt Jocketty evaluated the ’08 Reds and became ill. He has, in 11 days, removed the twin heads of the patient. Griffey and Dunn are elsewhere. Will the Reds be better without them? Could they be any worse?

Time now for the clubhouse culture to undergo a sea change. Who wants to win? Who wants to prepare to win? Anyone? Elvis and his sidekick have left the building. Who wants the footlights now?

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...OL03/308110042
    Wow, bravo Paul Daughterty!!!!!

I have now read the dumbest thing ever written. I can die a happy man. Woot woot.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Paul Daugherty is a blithering idiot who seems to be flexing his beer muscles now that Dunn is out of town. What an utter piece of trash that article is, not that I'm surprised.
    I'm going to admit... I didn't read the article, it looked stupid. I'm going to assume all of what you said is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I'm going to admit... I didn't read the article, it looked stupid. I'm going to assume all of what you said is true.
    Good move to skip the article. I think I lost IQ points by just reading it.

That Daugherty piece is one of the most irresponsible pieces of journalism I have ever read. Not to mention utterly tasteless.

Wow. What happened to that guy?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I found this Dunn quote interesting:

"It was one of those pleasant surprises," Dunn said of the call informing him of the deal. "Coming off of a terrible series that we had -- and it's been a terrible month we've had in Cincinnati -- and I get a phone call today saying I've been traded to a first-place team. As a player, that's all you ask for."
    And here I was under the impression that Dunn didn't care about winning. Perhaps he's just been depressed spending his career in a dysfunctional environment with no hopes of winning a thing.

As for whether or not it's a good trade, the PTBNL will give us our first impression -- and even then, it will take some time to see how guys pan out. Without details, I like the idea of getting 3 players with some minor league experience (read: more well developed scouting report) over 2 comp picks. We should consider that the quality of our return should be based on the assumption that the 2 comp picks are part of the value we're providing.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?