Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

McCoy took Walt's little fib hook, line and sinker:

The Reds were faced with trying to sign Dunn to a long-term contract before the season ended — and general manager Walt Jocketty does not do contracts during the season — or face losing him to free agency.
    Jocketty signed all three of his big acquisitions during the season: McGwire, Edmonds and Rolen. His suggestion that he doesn't do contracts during the season was most likely a smoke screen so he could move Dunn since he seems to have not wanted him. But lets be straight about this, it's not true that he doesn't do contracts in season and the Cincy media bought it completely (even though he never said "never" in his original quote).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Perhaps we should wait to see who the PTBNL are?
    That's the key. If the Reds would've been better off letting Dunn go and getting the two first round picks, then this is a bad deal. It all depends on the PTBNL.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

So, if the two PTBNL have to clear waivers, then they have to come from this group of players on the D-Back 40 man but not in the Majors, since a PTBNL can't be traded to a league he's played in before:

Pitchers
    * 62 Emiliano Fruto
    * 58 Juan Gutierrez
    * 44 Micah Owings
    * 36 Jailen Peguero
    * 39 Max Scherzer
    * 65 Esmerling Vasquez

Catchers
    * 60 Wilkin Castillo
    * 7 Robby Hammock

Infielders
    * 61 Javier Brito
    * -- Josh Whitesell

Some of these players can't be sent directly to Cincinnati, since they have experience in the NL, but they can be sent to Louisville. Since Arizona's AAA team plays in the PCL it's likely these players have never played in the International League.

Quote Originally Posted by Az Red View Post
    His homeruns will fly farther in the dry air...
    He'll party in the pool after the games and drive around town in a 1967 lime green Eldorado with longhorns on the grill and when he beeps the horn it will play Arizona by Paul Revere and the Raiders.

He'll be a legend by October.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    It's not the trade that's sticking in the craw, it's the return.

I don't care about how many months are left on a deal, you don't throw away one of the league's most feared sluggers for a cat with a bum wing and two guys who cannot be named.

It's pure bush.
    Do we really know what the logistics of these PTBNL are yet? Is it possible they could be better prospects than Buck?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    What is yours other than to dredge up minutea to slag on Dunn?
    Nice answer.

My point was already stated but I'll repeat it just for you: Dunn is not known for his stellar Septembers.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    So, if the two PTBNL have to clear waivers, then they have to come from this group of players on the D-Back 40 man but not in the Majors, since a PTBNL can't be traded to a league he's played in before:

Pitchers
    * 62 Emiliano Fruto
    * 58 Juan Gutierrez
    * 44 Micah Owings
    * 36 Jailen Peguero
    * 39 Max Scherzer
    * 65 Esmerling Vasquez

Catchers
    * 60 Wilkin Castillo
    * 7 Robby Hammock

Infielders
    * 61 Javier Brito
    * -- Josh Whitesell

Some of these players can't be sent directly to Cincinnati, since they have experience in the NL, but they can be sent to Louisville. Since Arizona's AAA team plays in the PCL it's likely these players have never played in the International League.
    If Scherzer or Owings is in the deal, I'll feel a whole lot better about this!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Perhaps you could not be so dramatic and just wait and see what the new GM does with the deck he's been dealt. As has been stated, he does know a thing or two about winning.
    What do you mean by "wait and see"?

Am I gonna start rooting for another team?

I have no choice but to wait and see.

Don't think for a minute that my angst is borne of some loathing for Jocketty. I was down with him from the get go.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post

Pitchers
    * 62 Emiliano Fruto
    * 58 Juan Gutierrez
    * 44 Micah Owings
    * 36 Jailen Peguero
    * 39 Max Scherzer
    * 65 Esmerling Vasquez

Catchers
    * 60 Wilkin Castillo
    * 7 Robby Hammock

Infielders
    * 61 Javier Brito
    * -- Josh Whitesell

Interesting. How long do the players have to stay in the league they're traded to before being moved to a league they've played in?

Err...if that makes sense.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Az Red View Post
    Come on, TC! You can't be all that surprised!?
    I was beginning to wonder..... Although Walt's reluctance to comment led me to believe they would not resign him.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    I agree 100%

Finally...I love Dunn's numbers but for what he was and wasn't he wasn't enough for this franchise...Is AZ the right place for him long term?

Does Walt go after him in FA this winter?

Stay tuned, same Reds Time, Same Reds Channel.:
    I honestly do not know if AZ is the right place. I hope he goes nuts and takes them to a WS. I really do. I just don't think the marriage of Adam Dunn and the Reds was a good one after the honeymoon. Just my opinion. I am sure there are a lot of people who disagree and that's Ok too.

I have no idea if Walt would pursue him. I doubt it. There are so many behind the scenes issues at play here, I seriously doubt they would re-commit to him.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Could any of the D-backs major-league DL players be PTBNL (Eric Byrnes, for example)? He could be a bridge in CF for a year or two. I'm sure Upton's not part of this deal, but he's a DL guy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I've read thousands of posts about Adam Dunn over the last years and I admire him as a good power hitter with OBP skills. I have always credited Dunn for his "football" mentality, he plays every inning. I've even complimented his effort in the field.

But let's not go crazy. The guy was hitting .233.

I know the arguments about BA, and I usually wouldn't emphasize it. But .233.

So, yes, it is a big step for the Reds, unclear how it will pan out. Yes the team could get worse, although it's hard to imagine.

But when a player is a free agent, wants to test the free agent market, will insist on big dollars to re-sign, the team needs new direction, and he's hitting .233, I think we can understand the move and go on to the next.

I wish Dunn good luck. Hope he gets on a top offensive team that will set the table better than the Reds did. I also hope he is appreciated for his talents in free agency. I've enjoyed his effort. But bigger trades have been made, the world will not end, and let's hope Jocketty brings a winning formula to the Reds soon.
    Raisor's mantra.

If we agree a double is better than a single, and a triple is better than a double and a HR is better than a triple why give credence to a stat that treats all these things equally?

Dunn's OBP was .374, good for 18th in the NL. His OPS was 14th. Offensively he was likely about the 4th or 5th best LF in the NL. As far as OPS was concerned he was 7th in all MLB LF's.

BA, even a .233 BA is such a weak stat, especially when viewed in it's proper context. We aren't talking about Corey Patterson here. We are talking about the player with the most HR's and most BB's in baseball since 2004.

Think about THAT in regards to the return.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

This is a kick in the teeth to me.

I kind of knew this day was coming, but I thought it would come in November, or December.

The return had better be good. Buck is a throw in, in my mind. The rest of the guys have to be on the 40 man roster. My guess is we see Micah Owings, and I could always dream of Scherzer.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    It doesn't matter who the GM is, this is a shockingly horrible return.
    This is a shockingly inaccurate statement.

You don't know what the return is. No one on this board does.

How can you say it is bad?

Turn Off Ads?