Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

It has now been confirmed by the Bats radio announcers that Dickerson has been called up to Cincinnati.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Buck is not as bad as some here want to believe. Fact is anything short of a gold mine isn't really worth Dunn in a world where contracts and free agency and signing bonuses don't matter. It was deal him to the DBacks or no deals at all. They couldn't negotiate with anyone else. Walt didn't want him back. Get three prospects now or pay huge bonuses to two picks next June who will be total crapshoots regardless of how good anyone thinks they might be. Ask Clint Hartung about prospects who can't fail. Ask Clint Hurdle about prospects who can't fail. Ask Homer Bailey. I'll take three guys that don't cost a fortune in signing bonuses and are closer to making it. In Cincinnati, I'll take a fresh start for a team that desparately needs one. As for the offense I'll bet the Reds don't drop off nearly as much as everyone fears. There has never been a one man team in the history of baseball. I'm looking forward to watching as this unfolds. The Reds of 2009 will win more than this year's team. How much more is the real question. For the first time the Reds are starting to make sense.

Cruisin' for trouble

There have been conversations dating back to the beginning of the year that the Reds had several players playing out of position, namely Griffey(RF), Dunn(LF), Encarnacion(3B) and Bruce(CF). I don't think anyone can argue that the defense was a strength.

Now two trades have occurred to begin to rectify the situation. Bruce is in a position he should occupy long-term. The question remaining is what to do with EdE. Once that question is answered, it will help to understand, in part, where the Reds are headed.

I'm hoping this move signifies that the Reds are going after some quality FAs at years end, although I doubt seriously that they can plug all of the holes and be ready by '09. I'd love to see the Reds pursue Sabathia/Sheets, but I think the smart money would be on a shorter contract with the likes of Lowe or Oliver Perez.

After all the disgust for the Reds not taking a firm direction, it sure is hypocritical to criticize them now that the direction is starting to take place. We can't see the finished product yet, but I'm willing to believe that it's going to be a lot more functional in two years than it has been for the last eight.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    After all the disgust for the Reds not taking a firm direction, it sure is hypocritical to criticize them now that the direction is starting to take place. We can't see the finished product yet, but I'm willing to believe that it's going to be a lot more functional in two years than it has been for the last eight.
    I would be with you if I felt that I knew in what direction they are heading. As soon as they make their first well-placed, well-priced free agent signing this off-season, I will feel they have a firm direction. Until then, these moves feel like shots in the dark.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Absolutely agree. I'm a Reds fan. I want the Reds to win.
    I want Dunn to kill the Reds but have the Reds on the smiling side of the scoreboard.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    There has never been a one man team in the history of baseball..
    Albert Pujols and the 2008 Cardinals would disagree.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Albert Pujols and the 2008 Cardinals would disagree.
    Ankiel and Ludwick have been pretty OK this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I want Dunn to kill the Reds but have the Reds on the smiling side of the scoreboard.
    Let me see... what about this box score line around June 2009?

Cincinnati 4, Arizona 3

W - Volquez (10-5), L - Webb (11-2)
    HR - Dunn 3 (22)
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Let me see... what about this box score line around June 2009?

Cincinnati 4, Arizona 3

W - Volquez (10-5), L - Webb (11-2)
    HR - Dunn 3 (22)
    Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Sort of sounds like a law firm, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Shoot--what about Glaus?

I was only kidding. But still--1.100 OPS with a bum elbow. Not too shabby.

(All but Glaus were Jocketty acquisitions fwiw).
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Anyone know how long it will take the other two D-Back prospects to clear waivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    No kidding.

Or that we don't know what teams passed/claimed. Not inconcievable that some of the teams that claimed included the likes of the Cubs, A's, Red Sox, Yankees, Indianas et al. Pretty good when the better run teams in baseball claim you.

But I'm sure an anti-Dunite will promptly retort that the only teams that claimed were the Royals, Pittsburg and the Nationals (three times each).
    Arizona won the claim so i doubt an anti-Dunite would make that argument.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Does anyone really believe P. Daugherty when he says he knows who the Reds got?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Does anyone really believe P. Daugherty when he says he knows who the Reds got?
    In a word, no way.

Turn Off Ads?