Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    We needed him 2 years ago and he stunk up the joint in Sept
    Psssssttt....

So did the rest of the team.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

For what it's worth, I remember reading in the Oregonian back in 2006 while Oregon State was busy winning the College World Series about how Dallas Buck knew there was something wrong with his arm.

Yet he kept pitching through it, then fell in the draft because the pros all knew about it. Arizona got him in the third round when he would have been an easy first-rounder before. The Diamondbacks started him at High-A ball (in the California League, which is a hitter's league) and he pitched pretty darn well- then had the TJ surgery around the end of July.

He wasn't activated until mid-June- and then when he was, he was moved down a level to Low-A (South Bend is in Dayton's division). Dallas did okay in nine games, showing better control than what you normally see from a recovering TJ type- but also striking out less. He was just promoted back to the California League a week ago and pitched five innings in his first start, allowing three hits and three unearned runs.

I saw whisperings on a Diamondbacks message board that Arizona wanted Buck to have TJ surgery right after the draft, but he refused/resisted. Opinions differ on whether it cost Dallas more time to have waited longer- I don't know if I would have wanted to start my pro career coming back from surgery right off the bat.

Anyway, the guy is a classic high-risk, high-reward prospect. The scariest thing is that the guy is already 23 and going to turn 24 in November, so the Reds almost have to push him to Double-A to begin 2009 no matter what. He's had barely fifty innings post-surgery. So there isn't a lot of room for scuffling like there is/was with Homer Bailey or Daryl Thompson.

On the plus side, he is the perfect type of pitcher for GABP- one who gets GB/FB ratios around 2:1.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

The way he said it sounded like it may be the way the broadcasters and Reds management talk among themselves.
    I'm not the only one who feels like the broadcasters are running this team, then?

If so, then Edwin better watch out- he's next.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    And Harang. (probably not tradeable right this second, but off-season)

If they even hint at half-assing this, forget it.
    Blow the whole damn thing up.

You and I both know that they won't.

I didn't even get to see him play at home one more time this year.:thumbdown
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    How can the deal already be announced if two of the players haven't cleared waivers yet?
    They (who are these guys?) said they have an insider in Phoenix. Only passing on the info... didn't say I believed it....
    Pennant or bust!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Wow... I thought this day would never come. The immediate impact of Dunn being moved is more than likely negative. Next season and beyond the impact is overwhelmingly positive, IMO. Provided the $$$ is used wisely on players who provide better leadership and put up good numbers as well. Dunn's overall numbers will be missed but he lacked so many things in so many areas. Just from where I sit. Time will tell. Good job Walt. You're getting easier to read!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Psssssttt....

So did the rest of the team.
    What's your point?

Why would they trade Harang, too? His deal is actually really reasonable and he's at the lowest possible value right now. Even if you're going to go with the rest of the rotation as young pitchers, it would seem to make sense to have one vet to lead them.
    I agree. Harang's value will be at the lowest since he arrived here, his contract is reasonable. The best bet is to keep him and let him lead a staff of youngsters.

I would hold on to Harang.

The Reds need to build around Harang, Cueto, Volquez, Bruce, Votto, and maybe Phillips.

From Wikipedia
    During his time as Cardinal GM, the Cardinals compiled six National League Central Division championships (1996, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006), two National League Championships (2004 and 2006), and one World Series Championship (2006). The Cardinals had seven straight winning seasons under Jocketty, including 100+ win seasons in 2004 and 2005. Jocketty has been named the Executive of the Year in MLB twice, in 2000 and 2004.
    I think Jocketty knows what he is doing. Just a hunch.

Why would they trade Harang, too? His deal is actually really reasonable and he's at the lowest possible value right now. Even if you're going to go with the rest of the rotation as young pitchers, it would seem to make sense to have one vet to lead them.
    It would also make sense to have a vet leading the hitters, who have arguably proven they need it even more than the young pitchers.

No. If they're blowing it up, they need to blow it up. It's the only way I can even consider accepting a return like this. Harang makes a lot of money and may be in the beginning stages of deterioration. I agree that his value is too low right now, but if this is what they're doing then he should be gone by the start of next season. I am really, really tired of this limbo zone the front office inhabits between scrappy vets and rebuilding. If this trade is a sign of the direction they want to take, let them follow through on it.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What's your point?
    What is yours other than to dredge up minutea to slag on Dunn?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Provided the $$$ is used wisely on players who provide better leadership and put up good numbers as well.
    Of course -- you mean your classic "high intangibles / high production" player that never hits free agency...
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Wow... I thought this day would never come. The immediate impact of Dunn being moved is more than likely negative. Next season and beyond the impact is overwhelmingly positive, IMO. Provided the $$$ is used wisely on players who provide better leadership and put up good numbers as well. Dunn's overall numbers will be missed but he lacked so many things in so many areas. Just from where I sit. Time will tell. Good job Walt. You're getting easier to read!
    Come on, TC! You can't be all that surprised!?
    Pennant or bust!

I agree 100%

Finally...I love Dunn's numbers but for what he was and wasn't he wasn't enough for this franchise...Is AZ the right place for him long term?

Does Walt go after him in FA this winter?

Stay tuned, same Reds Time, Same Reds Channel.:
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Turn Off Ads?