Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

PTBNL are usually minor leaguers because they MUST change leagues. So it will be a 2 guys in the minors now. PTBNL are NOT always filler. David Ortiz, Jeremy Bonderman, Coco Crisp et al, have all been PTBNL just to name a few. Deals of this magnitude, with a player of Dunn's caliber, usually aren't involved in deals where PTBNL are a significant part of the deal. Usually they're back end filler to "pad" the deal a bit. This is pretty much unusual and I'd expect the DBacks gave the Reds a list of players. The Reds can choose after they scout the players more exhaustively. Losing as they are and going nowhere, why should the Reds be in any hurry to make their choices if it is indeed a list of choices? Is it better than two draft picks? I'd say yes depending on who else comes back. Three guys with a jump start and a resume are better than 2 blind picks. Buck is a good start but the other two need to be solid.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I doubt it. Dunn's situation last year was pretty much the same as this year: a two-month rental.
    Yep, all Walt did today was grad 3 maybes instead of the two we could have gotten in the draft when he left town after the season.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Put me on the record at 3:08 PM 8/11/08 - I'd rather have the draft picks.
    You don't even know what we got yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Then why trade him? The draft picks would have been decent -- it's not like we had to trade him or get nothing for him at the end of the year. Worst case, we were going to get a couple draft picks. If Scherzer is not in the deal, I would have honestly preferred the draft picks.
    You make a fair point. I was just commenting that there's no way Dunn gets a player of that caliber in return, especially as a 2 month rental.

Also, we don't know what Walt's plans are for the offseason. I have a feeling a free agent or two will be coming to Cincy.

"So Fla Red"

Does this mean the Dodgers, Rangers and Tigers passed on Dunn? They might be considered the remote WC contenders with LA in contention for the NL West. Maybe even Houston to get an edge on FA next year or maybe even Oakland just to get the draft picks. I can't believe how low Dunn's value is perceived by most GMs.

Big coup for AZ being in the crappiest division and getting the advantage over all the other 12 serious playoff contender

I can't see how the return on Aug 11th could be better then late July. The idiotic .500 mantra in '08 from ownership appears to have once again set this rudderless franchise back in time...

Any chance the slashing of Dunn's salary frees money up to sign Yonder Alonso by Friday's deadline???

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Over/under on the Reds scoring 100 runs the rest of the season?

Under.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Good point.

Woo hoo, 8 years in and I finally make one!
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Woo hoo, 8 years in and I finally make one!
    Heh!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Come on, Scherzer won't be in this deal. I guess we will just have to wait and see if the other guys that make up the return have more value than the picks...
    I'm not saying he is, I'm saying that the PTBNL restriction does not neccessarily mean "crappy prospect". It just means it could be any prospect that needs to clear waivers. That could mean Scherzer... or it could mean Bozo the Clown. I don't have the slightest idea. In this case, the PTBNL could conceivably be the main return... but they didn't clear waivers.

Based on the Reds superior scouting and talent evaluation....it wouldn't surprise me to find out the Dback's sent over Buck's scouting report from OSU touting him as a top 5 pick, and the Reds bit.

To be honest....the identity of the Reds organization is hinging on the two PTBNL's in this deal. If they are quality....OK, there's some semblance of business acumen.

If they are garbage, along with Buck....we are destined to be the Los Angeles Clippers/ Detroit Lions of MLB.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by indy_dave00 View Post
    Any chance the slashing of Dunn's salary frees money up to sign Yonder Alonso by Friday's deadline???
    Good point, Votto has played some left field. Yonder maybe holding out for a major league deal.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Does this mean the Dodgers, Rangers and Tigers passed on Dunn?

Only the Dodgers.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Well boys and girls, it's going to be a very interesting offseason.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    People whine, and whine, and whine that the Reds don't rebuild, they go into every year trying to unrealistically win, etc. etc. etc. Now they're TRYING to rebuild, and taking the necessary steps to do that, and people complain again. Walt's in a lose-lose situation.
    You can say that again. People complain that Jocketty is "doing nothing" and "just sitting on his hands" since he got the GM job. Then he makes a move, and the same people complain about the move he makes. Seems like folks here think that six weeks of Dunn should be worth three primo prospects. I like Adam Dunn as much as the next guy, but certainly appears that the rest of the baseball world does not hold Dunn in as high esteem as RedsZone does. And I hate to say it, but maybe they are right and we are wrong. Maybe we overvalue Dunn as much as we accuse others of undervaluing him. My preference would have been to resign him, but Walt has been at this for a lot of years--he didn't just fall off the turnip truck. Maybe he feels that Dunn doesn't fit his vision for the club, and this offer is better what he projects the draft picks to be. It is almost certainly better than any offer before the July 31 deadline--otherwise he would have continued to hold onto Dunn.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?