Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Brantley was just on WLW yapping about how the Reds are signaling a change in their philosophy for the type of team Jocketty is going to build.

He says we're going to focus on defense and speed, not sitting back and waiting on the home run.

The way he said it sounded like it may be the way the broadcasters and Reds management talk among themselves.
    They've been working on that defense stuff for years without much luck. Here's hoping they at least get the speed part right.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I suspect Arroyo could be next, but I would only trade him for a great return. I still think he'll bounce back into a solid #3/4 starter.

well this shoots the article about being close that Fay had in the paper.. no replacement for Dunn and freaking Patterson is a starting CF hitting below .200.. WOW sure can see the 2009 as a year they go all the way.. HAHA.. No reason to keep a 10mil closer in Cordero now.. the Reds wont score any runs..its 1982-83 Vern Rapp days again.. good luck selling tickets BOB!!! At least get something that can help the team now.. a NL Homeun leader can only get prospects? Geesh..

I like the move. I've been saying all along this team could not afford to commit the kind of money it would take to keep Dunn because it has to be used to bring in help on more than one of the problems facing us. The move is honest. It faces the fact that the Reds are terrible--really disastrously bad--and it will be several years to contention status. Phillips and Encarnacion will be, IMO, the next to go. This will provide Walt the flexibility for a complete restructuring. No more twaddle about how we're close to contention and only need a little something here, something there. We now have a real general manager who understands that the problem with giving any player a long-term contract is that it reduces the flexibility of decision making through the whole system. This is a complete win for WJ and the Reds, even though I'll miss Dunn as a player. If we only needed a little adjusting it would make sense to keep him. We need lots more than that. This faces the future--like moving Griffey--and moves ahead.

Warning to Arizona: Dunn is not known for his stellar Septembers. Once football season starts, his numbers tend to dip.

Who are these "speed and defense" guys that are going to remake this organization?

Would a fast outfielder have caught the gopherballs given up by Haynes, Milton, and every other clown that got a multi-year deal from this franchise? GABP is not Busch stadium circa 1985. Willie McGee and Ozzie Smith won't win here. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I have absolutely zero confidence that Bob knows how to spend his money effectively in baseball. All I have to do is look at the free agents they've signed since he took over, and I have no hope for a turnaround any time soon.
    I don't think Bob's the one you need to worry about. I get the feeling he has a guy in Walt who he trusts to a fault and to whom he's turned the keys over.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Brother. YOU don't know who the return is but you can bet the Reds do. I do agree though that Dunn had a strong emotional attachment to a lot of fans and this is going to be a "bad" trade in that respect no matter who comes back.
    I'm not so sure they do know who's coming back.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Warning to Arizona: Dunn is not known for his stellar Septembers. Once football season starts, his numbers tend to dip.
    They've also penciled him in to play RIGHT field...

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    MLBTR said Dunn would play RF.

Yes, RF.
    until Upton gets back when likely Jackson goes back to first and Dunn to LF. With the speed of Young in CF it won't be a big deal.

According to Baseball Prospectus, Baseball America, and John Sickles' lists before the season, Buck wasn't even one of the D'backs top 20 prospects- and that's after the purge that landed them Dan Haren. Buck hasn't exactly lit it up this season, so I see no reason why he would be significantly higher. I would have to guess that one of the PTBNL has to be a Scherzer, Parker, or at least Parra. If not, then this deal sucks. I'd rather have the draft picks.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    I don't think Bob's the one you need to worry about. I get the feeling he has a guy in Walt who he trusts to a fault and to whom he's turned the keys over.
    I certainly hope so

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I like the move. I've been saying all along this team could not afford to commit the kind of money it would take to keep Dunn because it has to be used to bring in help on more than one of the problems facing us. The move is honest. It faces the fact that the Reds are terrible--really disastrously bad--and it will be several years to contention status. Phillips and Encarnacion will be, IMO, the next to go. This will provide Walt the flexibility for a complete restructuring. No more twaddle about how we're close to contention and only need a little something here, something there. We now have a real general manager who understands that the problem with giving any player a long-term contract is that it reduces the flexibility of decision making through the whole system. This is a complete win for WJ and the Reds, even though I'll miss Dunn as a player. If we only needed a little adjusting it would make sense to keep him. We need lots more than that. This faces the future--like moving Griffey--and moves ahead.
    I think he's going to hang onto EdE for awhile.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Reds projected finish in 2009?? LAST like 2008.. fun fun, but i will wait to see what Walt does.. right now its a total rebuild and a total rebuild doesnt get you a world Series win the next year,, and this ownership doiesnt have the Marlins scouts and organization people to make it work

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That probably has more to do with him being as big as football player than it actually being football season.

Turn Off Ads?