Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    From Wikipedia

I think Jocketty knows what he is doing. Just a hunch.
    I can't imagine the state of this board if WK were the GM making this move.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Now I sincerely hope the DBacks meet the Chisox in October. Best wishes to Dunn and Junior and I hope they both get a ring. They'll always be favorites in my heart even if they may not have been destined to be a winner in Cincinnati.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Of course -- you mean your classic "high intangibles / high production" player that never hits free agency...
    Excellent point!!!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    I can't imagine the state of this board if WK were the GM making this move.
    It doesn't matter who the GM is, this is a shockingly horrible return.

Walt deserves to be figuratively drawn and quartered for this.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

His homeruns will fly farther in the dry air...
    Pennant or bust!

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    It would also make sense to have a vet leading the hitters, who have arguably proven they need it even more than the young pitchers.

No. If they're blowing it up, they need to blow it up. It's the only way I can even consider accepting a return like this. Harang makes a lot of money and may be in the beginning stages of deterioration. I agree that his value is too low right now, but if this is what they're doing then he should be gone by the start of next season. I am really, really tired of this limbo zone the front office inhabits between scrappy vets and rebuilding. If this trade is a sign of the direction they want to take, let them follow through on it.
    We might be looking at a decision that Walt made between keeping Harang and re-signing Dunn, actually. I'm a huge Dunn fan, but I also think a 30 year-old ace signed below market value for a few years is a heck of a lot more of a valuable commodity than a 28 year-old OF who only has two months left on his current contract.

I'm not convinced that holding onto one pitcher disqualifies the Reds from being in rebuilding mode. Reasonable contracts for aces in their primes don't grow on trees.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post

Your opinion. I think he should be lauded and applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Why is he going there (the D.R.)?
    That kid's birthday is coming up this week, maybe that's it?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

In the next month or so, I would like to see an interview with Jocketty or BCast to hear what they say about where this team is going. Because right now, I haven't the foggiest.

The farm system isn't exactly flush with prospects. If there is to be any improvement in the next year or two, it's going to have to be bought.

And if they don't intend to buy it and instead grow it, I'd like to know for 2009 season ticket budgeting reasons.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Perhaps you could not be so dramatic and just wait and see what the new GM does with the deck he's been dealt. As has been stated, he does know a thing or two about winning.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Your opinion. I think he should be lauded and applauded.
    I think it's too early to say whether he should be lauded or booed. Perhaps we should wait to see who the PTBNL are?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    We might be looking at a decision that Walt made between keeping Harang and re-signing Dunn, actually. I'm a huge Dunn fan, but I also think a 30 year-old ace signed below market value for a few years is a heck of a lot more of a valuable commodity than a 28 year-old OF who only has two months left on his current contract.

I'm not convinced that holding onto one pitcher disqualifies the Reds from being in rebuilding mode. Reasonable contracts for aces in their primes don't grow on trees.
    It's not the trade that's sticking in the craw, it's the return.

I don't care about how many months are left on a deal, you don't throw away one of the league's most feared sluggers for a cat with a bum wing and two guys who cannot be named.

It's pure bush.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

High five!

Dude, c'mon. We don't even know who the other players are and Dunn was going to be a FA in two months.

And I think the Reds should've resigned Dunn.

It just doesn't look right.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I'm old. I look at it like this. The last GM we got from Saint Loo wasn't so bad. Maybe this time's the charm, too. My trust is in Jocketty and it would seem he has complete control now to drivethis thing as he sees fit. Maybe the current losing skein got him the whole set of car keys from Bob.
    Thank God there was no internet when Howsam ran the team. He would have been driven to the gallows on more than one occasion.

Turn Off Ads?