Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Well boys and girls, it's going to be a very interesting offseason.
    If Walt's going to do this the right way, during the Winter Meetings we should see Phillips, Arroyo and Harang following Dunn out of town.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    270 homers, with 100% of them not leading to any postseason appearances.

I'm not blaming Dunn for that. But the team has tried (and I use that word loosely) to build around him for years, and it's repeatedly failed. Time to move on. Dunn isn't nearly as valuable to the rest of baseball as he is to Redszone. I'm sorry, that's just a fact.

Not one single person on this board can even remotely begin to assume they know what Jocketty is thinking, nor what his plans are. Not one. Until we see the whole plan, I don't think it's fair to destroy a guy that has a track record that speaks for itself.

You're missing my point.

I'm going to say this one more time:

It's not that fact that Dunn was dealt that bothers me (in anything more than an emotional sense), it's the fact that we have to wait for two PTBNL.

It's the two PTBNL.

Trading away 270 homers without representation (plus a guy who sounds like a young version of Paul Wilson) really, really bothers me.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So is there anyone left on the Reds from the Bowden era now?

So much for the big thumpers in HR-crazy GABP.
    Ryan Freel.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Players can well be PTBNL because they have to pass through waivers, becuase they haven't passed through waivers, or were drafted less than a year ago. or they may be someone that Arizona wants to use for the rest of the year.

I'm certainly not going to comment on the quality of the trade until I know what it is.

We traded 6 weeks of Dunn. it's not like we traded someone who was 6 years from FA.
    Nice post. Agreed 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I may have missed this discussion earlier on, but is Dallas Buck any good?
    the answer to that would be "No"

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Do people REALLY think that Scherzer or Parker is going to be involved?
    Honestly? No. I was just outlining a few criteria for my own view of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Neither were the teams that surrounded him.

But by all means, please continue to pretend that Dunn, and Dunn alone was the only player in September that fell apart.
    Nobody is pretending that. But the reality is that Adam Dunn should never be the best player on a really good team. I'm sorry, that's just the way that it is. He can be a very, very good player for any contending team. But he should never be the best player on any team. He was the best player on our team for damn near eight years, and you see where that got us.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    You're missing my point.

It's not that fact that Dunn was dealt that bothers me (in anything more than an emotional sense), it's the fact that we have to wait for two PTBNL.

It's the two PTBNL.

Trading away 270 homers without representation (plus a guy who sounds like a young version of Paul Wilson) really, really bothers me.
    Did Atlanta get a ton of talent for Teixeira?

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Yet another baseless assumption on your part. I know you're pissed, but you're full of em today.
    A baseless assumption would be saying that a plan is in place because they're pawning off parts. Ask Pirates fans how well that works out. I'm not going to be completely negative, but my "wait and see" has a heck of a lot less excitement than yours.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I think Dunn was only a Red for another two months, anyway. And that is not because I don't think he'd be valuable as a Red next year, but rather because he could also be valuable to a lot of other teams who would gladly outspend the Reds to get him. And good for Walt for understanding that and making a move to put the club in a position to address the other glaring problems with this team.

Good Luck Big Donkey, I hope to see you and Griffey both in the World Series.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    They offered Owings when they were bidding against other teams for Teixeira's services.

They had the Adam Dunn negotiations all to themselves since they made the waiver claim.

That changes the landscape of any deal considerably, especially when you consider the Reds seemed pretty resigned to getting whatever they could for Dunn.
    Do we know they claimed Dunn on waivers?

Maybe no one claimed him?

Even if claimed, the Reds always had the choice of the draft picks. That would keep the return at least reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    270 homers, with 100% of them not leading to any postseason appearances.

I'm not blaming Dunn for that. But the team has tried (and I use that word loosely) to build around him for years, and it's repeatedly failed. Time to move on.
    That the other GM's failed at building around Dunn doesn't mean it isn't possible for Jocketty to build around Dunn.

Whether it makes sense to do so is another question, but lets not act like it isn't possible to build a team around a power hitting slugger. Seems to me Walt's done that before.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Casey Kotchman ain't too shabby. They also got a minor league pitcher, I think.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    You're missing my point.

It's the two PTBNL.

I can understand why it would bother you. And hey, if the two PTBNL's are junk, it bothers me too. But I don't assume that to be the case, and neither should you until we see what the return is.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Nope.

Thanks for giving me another reason to have severe doubts about those PTBNL.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?