Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Marty is on WLW and is saying it is a great move.
    Of course he's saying that.

He can finally put down his torch and his pitchfork. He drove the monster outta town.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Facts are now being faced that could not be last year because of who's facing them: WJ instead of WK.

Something people are overlooking here that might help to figure out where the F.O.'s mind is on the issue. In order to get the 2 draft picks Dunn would have had to turn down Arbitration. I would have fully expected him to do so but if he wasn't overwhelmed in FA by an offer there would have been an outside chance he would have accepted arbitration. Albeit small a chance that the F.O. apparently wasn't comfortable with taking.

I will miss Dunn as well the guy was a world class prankster and every clubhouse needs one, especially one with his production. As a guy he was top notch. I will miss his power and his discipline and his insistance on playing every day. I do believe he could have been a part of the puzzle just not as big a piece as his salary and some fans said he should be.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    For all those looking for a tear down for lo these many years, the wrecking ball has just hit the old cornerstone.
    I think that they are after the cash flo and operating capital aren't they?

Now Jocketty has some money to work with.

Maybe WJ will DFA Marty.

So let's see here ... if the Reds on-base percentage this season sans Dunn and Griffey is around .310, then where is this ballclub going to get the offense to even smell contention anytime soon?
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    If Walt's going to do this the right way, during the Winter Meetings we should see Phillips, Arroyo and Harang following Dunn out of town.
    I think not, they don't have anyone with a big enough pair to do it like the Marlins have done a couple of times.

They will continue the losing mantra of trying to win while rebuilding.

I've just read this entire thread. My take, the sky isn't falling. In fact, I may see a rainbow.

I loved when Adam Dunn hit a home run to win a game. But I equally hated seeing him muff routine plays in the outfield and strikeout when runners were in scoring position. Just last week, here in D.C., I saw him look just lost in LF (note to AZ: he can't play RF). I also was disappointed with him in '05 when he said he didn't want to play 1b after trying it out in spring training.

Overall, the Reds can be in last place without him just like they were with him. But now they go in the offseason with alot of cash, a young talented starting rotation and a GM with a track record. So, I'm not upset, just sorry the Dunn-Griffey years didn't turn out better. And now we'll see if those two are truly winners and make it to the post-season.

flyer, I don't agree. I think this is the real thing. We're going to give up trying to rebuild while contending. Reality has finally forced its way onto Reds management. Losing 95-100 games is making them realize contending is years away at best.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Well, Votto has played some outfield...
    That's gonna annoy me if they try to make Votto play LF. From everything I've seen and read, he's a very decent defensive 1B and a cruddy LF. Now, I'm sure he could be made into an adequate LF with some practice- he is athletic- but it's just not something that's really essential at the moment as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Casey Kotchman ain't too shabby.
    I'd rather have Votto.

They decided a long time ago that they weren't re-signing Dunn. All we can logically assume is that Jocketty finally got an offer he liked better than a pair of draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I think not, they don't have anyone with a big enough pair to do it like the Marlins have done a couple of times.

They will continue the losing mantra of trying to win while rebuilding.
    Even the A's held onto a few key players while rebuilding. Zito was the "veteran" presence while Haren, Harden, and Blanton worked their way into the rotation a couple of years ago. Chavez was re-signed to anchor the new infield after Tejada and Giambi split.

I don't think the Marlins model is the only way to conduct a legitimate rebuild. It's just about properly evaluating which pieces should be part of the puzzle and then adding others to complement them. Most often, those pieces should be young and inexpensive, but sometimes there are older, reasonably-priced ones that fit, too.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Well, people criticized Walt for not doing anything, for not taking the best offer, even if it's only 70 cents on the dollar..Well, it looks like he's doing that. Ross is on his way out, and now Dunn.

I'm not surprised at all. All signs pointed to Dunn not coming back next year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think you are taking this a little far. Had they made this deal a year or two ago, then you might have a point. However with 2 months left in an absolute lost season and a FA at the end of the year? It isn't a huge deal if they weren't bringing him back, which obviously they weren't planning on.
    We get it doug, you hate Dunn and his lack of defense, you love Bailey and his upside and Stubbs and whatever it is about Stubbs you love.

I guess now we'll see what Dunn's worth from either the Diamondbacks (a smart organization) or the open market.

When all the dust settles, we'll ultimately realize how bad of a trade this was, how horrible this organization is, and there will be no end in sight of the losing.

But at least we have Homer on the AAA to Cincy merry-go-round, and we can count on Stubbs to make his impact in Cincy circa 2011.

Can't wait...

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I'd rather have Votto.

They decided a long time ago that they weren't re-signing Dunn. All we can logically assume is that Jocketty finally got an offer he liked better than a pair of draft picks.
    I'd rather have Votto, too... but I thought your question was about who the Braves got back for Teixeira.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?