Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    and has an OBP of 320-330.

Now the Reds entire team is composed of guys who would be batting 6-7-8 on a decent team.

Hoepfully the front office sees this and tears it all the way down.
    And is a 21-year old rookie. I'm not ready to say Bruce is going to be a future .320 OBP hitter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    And is a 21-year old rookie. I'm not ready to say Bruce is going to be a future .320 OBP hitter.
    My hunch is he'll top out around .350, which would be okay. I don't think we're looking at an Adam Dunn level .380 guy though.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    23. Birthday is 11/11/1984.
    soon to be 24 ... very old for A ball.

Buck is more suspect than prospect.

I'm not either but I would expect a .380+ OBP anytime soon.

Would people be happy with an Owings-Parra-Buck package for Dunn?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

soon to be 24 ... very old for A ball.

Buck is more suspect than prospect.
    He's in A ball rehabbing from TJ surgery. That is the only reason he is in A ball.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    My hunch is he'll top out around .350
    I hope not because if he does he isn't going to be all that good.

I hope not because if he does he isn't going to be all that good.
    That's Hamilton's OBP this year. He's pretty good...

No, he won't.

But he will strike out, and when the team offers up the same results post Dunn, Bruce will be the new whipping boy.

.350 OBP be derned.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Neither were the teams that surrounded him.

But by all means, please continue to pretend that Dunn, and Dunn alone was the only player in September that fell apart.
    C'mon now, no need to argue about players on other teams.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

My hunch is he'll top out around .350, which would be okay. I don't think we're looking at an Adam Dunn level .380 guy though.
    I strongly disagree with that. I think he'll eventually learn to walk more (he's even recently stated that he understands he needs to improve that) and I think his approach will allow him to be a .300+ hitter. The way he uses all parts of the field and is constantly hitting line drives shows me he will be a high average hitter.

Great trade for the snakes. It gives them the big bat they need and they have the players to trade. If they can't resign Dunn, they still get 2 comp picks next year.

As for my feelings toward this trade, it's really too hard to say as of right now. My feelings toward Adam Dunn have gone in circles during his tenure as a Red. Over the last year/year and a half, I had really grown to appreciate him more and thought extending him was in the team's best interest. I am a Reds fan more than a Dunn fan and I want what is best for the team. Walt obviously felt that this trade was better for the team and Walt's track record with trades has produced more studs than duds and so I plan to reserve judgment until I at least know who the other players are. It's doubtful we'll be getting 3 studs, but 3 useful players could be a lot more valuable than 1 great player, depending on positions and needs. So, we'll just have to wait and see. I'd have to imagine though that at least 1 (if not 2) of the remaining players are (close to being) major league ready and that's important.

As for those who suggest trading Harang/Arroyo/Phillips too for the sake of "fully rebuilding," I think yes and no on that. As I think someone else suggested, Harang's value is at an all time low right now. I do think he will bounce back and if he starts putting up the numbers and the haul is good, I would have no problem moving him. Again though, not until the time is right. I think Arroyo is definitely worth moving now as he has increased his trade value as of late, but I don'd advocate giving him away or trading for a salary dump. I want a promising prospect or 2 in return. I think I'd hang on to Phillips. He is younger than the other 2 and although his salary starts to get more expensive, he's under control for a while and the money he is making based on his offensive and defensive production relative to his position make him worth keeping around I think. If the team plans to go in the speed/defense direction, getting rid of Phillips would be a bad idea in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    He's in A ball rehabbing from TJ surgery. That is the only reason he is in A ball.
    he pitched A ball last season as well. He is way behind the curve and he is a guy who has never been known for having "plus" stuff. Jeremy Sowers without the arm injury is his upside.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Marty is on WLW and is saying it is a great move.
    I would've never guessed that.

Marty must be in heaven now that Dunn is gone.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Would people be happy with an Owings-Parra-Buck package for Dunn?
    While it's still not a tremendous offer, it's not awful. I would also accept an Owings/Whitesell/Buck deal.

Turn Off Ads?