Turn Off Ads?
Page 52 of 68 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I don't think we're getting Chris Young in the deal. If Dunn is going to be an OF for Arizona, they are going to need CY's speed in CF.
    Again the PTBNL rules would eliminate Chris Young and Chad Tracey.

2. Turn Off Ads?

When does the winning start?
    Monday, August 11, 2008, 07:34 PM EST

When Wayne Krivsky was fired earlier this season, Reds owner Bob Castellini famously said "we're not going to lose anymore."

The Reds have gone 1-9 since trading Ken Griffey Jr. and on Monday traded Adam Dunn, the Major League-leader in home runs, so the question that seems only natural is, "when does the winning start?"

Castellini told the Cincinnati Enquirer, "We're doing the best we can to get better."

However, manager Dusty Baker feels like he's been armed with a slingshot when asked how his team, already an unimpressive 52-67, will compete. The Reds must win 11 of their remaining 43 games to avoid losing 100 games for the second time in team history.

"David slew Goliath, you know. We just have to see. You guys ask me questions, I don't really have any more answers to," Baker said.

When asked if the latest move -- Dunn for minor league pitcher Dallas Baker and two players to be named who have already been decided upon and are on the Diamondbacks' 40-man roster, which include pitcher Micah Owings and Max Scherzer -- put the Reds solidly in the role of David, Baker responded: "I've been in the David role for a while if you haven't see how many runs we've been scoring. You do what you can do. That's my job."

Baker has recently complained about this team not being made up of players he selected -- besides Corey Patterson, obviously, and Francisco Cordero, whom he said he recruited -- he'll have what appears to be a blank canvas this off-season.

With Dunn gone, there's one less free agent to make a decision about, and 11 more for them to make a decision on. General manager Walt Jocketty was in the Dominican Republic and not available for comment.

One of the Reds free agents, reliever David Weathers, expressed optimism in Jocketty, who led the Cardinals to a World Series title in 2006.

In the last two weeks, the Reds have jettisoned two of the franchise's top 10 home run hitters.

"Maybe they're thinking in the future that we'll replace the home runs with guys that are gap-to-gap hitters, are a little faster," Weather said. "Walt has a plan and he doesn't do anything by the seat of his pants. He does it with a lot of thought involved and he's going to build this team."

On Sunday, the team designated catcher David Ross for assignment, calling up minor leaguer Ryan Hanigan, who hit his first career home run in a loss to the Astros.

The Reds haven't announced who will replace Dunn on the 25-man roster, but it will likely be outfielder Chris Dickerson, who is hitting .287 with11 home runs and 53 RBIs for the Bats.

"Talk to Walt tonight to see who is best tonight. It'll be someone relatively young, someone out of AAA," Baker said.

Dickerson is on the team’s 40-man roster, but has never played in a big league game.

The Diamondbacks claimed Dunn on trade waivers and the two teams worked out the deal over the last couple of days, culminating in a finished deal on Monday morning.

"Most teams put everyone they have through trade waivers. It's sort of like fishing, you throw bait in the water," said assistant general manager Bob Miller. "You put everybody out and teams claim, some teams block. Arizona was the team that had the worst record in the National League that selected Dunn when we put them on waivers. Who knows if they were blocking? We don't know what their motives were, but they had interest in Dunn and in the last four days we had conversations and early this morning we got it done."

Miller said "several" teams put claims on Dunn, but the Diamondbacks at 60-58 had the worst record of the teams that put a claim in on him.

The Reds receivers Buck, a 2006 third-round selection, and two other players, who will be announced at a later date.

Buck, a right-hander, led Oregon State to a College World Series title despite arm troubles which caused his draft stock to slip. He tried to pitch through arm troubles for a year-and-a-half before undergoing "Tommy John" elbow surgery last season.

This season he was 1-4 with a 3.94 ERA for South Bend of the Class A Midwest League before being promoted last week to High Class A Visalia of the California League, where he made one start, allowing three unearned runs in five innings.

"He's had 10 starts so far and looked good," said Miller. "He's got a good sinkerball, he's a battler, to pitch that long with a torn ligament, you know he’s a bulldog. We liked him in the draft, too, but he had those arm issues."

No matter how good of a prospect he may be, the Reds won't have him the rest of this season.

Although Miller, Baker and others have said no decision had been made about Dunn's future, this move means it likely won't be in Cincinnati. Dunn could sign with the Reds as a free agent, but it's not likely. The Reds may have received two draft picks in compensation had they offered Dunn arbitration and he declined, but he could also have accepted and the Reds would have had a one-year deal with Dunn and not been able to move on to the next phase of the club's development.

Dunn said he received the call Monday morning. He is scheduled to bat fourth and play right field on Tuesday for the Diamondbacks in Colorado.

"I'll get my feet wet out there," Dunn said of playing right. "I don't care where I hit or where I play, I'm just excited to play."

The Reds' next phase started two weeks ago when Griffey was traded and continued Monday with Dunn's departure.

"You don't know anything long term, you never know, it's like planting a tree or making an investment -- you don't know if that investment is going to grow or that tree is going to bear fruit until later," Baker said.

All Reds fans know is that despite the vegetable czar's promises, Castellini hasn't delivered any bananas. Not even close.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    I have the sinking feeling this is right. It would explain Marty's and some of the other comments.

Although if the Reds are taking on Eric Byrnes salary, why in heavens name would they have to split the difference on Dunn's?
    Trading Adam Dunn for Eric Byrnes and his $11 million salary in 2009 and 2010 would be a colossal disaster.

Then again it's gotten to the point that if that's the case, I'd probably just laugh.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Let's see--Carpenter for one year/some minor league garbage or Lowe for a minimum of 3 at $12 million a season.
    Carpenter is signed through 2011 with a $12 million option for 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Dunn said he received the call Monday morning. He is scheduled to bat fourth and play right field on Tuesday for the Diamondbacks in Colorado.
    Adam Dunn bats 5th or 7th. What's wrong with them?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Of course they could be wrong, but Baseball America says Whitesell is a good defender at first base. But they've been wrong before...
    It's tough to find anyone who has watched him play a lot describe him as having any defensive value.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Let's see--Carpenter for one year/some minor league garbage or Lowe for a minimum of 3 at $12 million a season.

Carpenter is owed $44.5 M over the next three years.

"Maybe they're thinking in the future that we'll replace the home runs with guys that are gap-to-gap hitters, are a little faster," Weathers said. "Walt has a plan and he doesn't do anything by the seat of his pants. He does it with a lot of thought involved and he's going to build this team."
    Hopefully what they're now thinking is that they'll replace you this offseason, David Weathers.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Carpenter is owed $44.5 M over the next three years.
    So he should be acquirable for nothing, then. High risk high, high reward.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Trading Adam Dunn for Eric Byrnes and his $11 million salary in 2009 and 2010 would be a colossal disaster.

Then again it's gotten to the point that if that's the case, I'd probably just laugh.
    Speed and defense baby.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Well clearly they don't know what they are doing. The rightfielder bats 3rd.

Dunn in RF will be fun to watch, people will be going 1st to 3rd all day. I hate seeing Dunn go, it is going to look so wrong to see him with somebody else.

So Bruce in RF, Dickerson in CF, who in LF? Rosales?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Hopefully Weathers. Arroyo could be dealt but I'd want a good return before I'd deal him.
    I'll keep Weathers. He's worth a comp pick (a borderline A pick) now and I doubt someone gives up a better prospect than that for 8 weeks of Weathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Hopefully what they're now thinking is that they'll replace you this offseason, David Weathers.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    What do they know? playoff race and all that jazz, BAH who needs it.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?