Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 68 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Hence, the
    Then why the reference to "trading in the same division"?

It could only mean you doubted that the Cards would trade Carpenter to a team in their own division (hence the rolling eyes).

Otherwise, such reference makes no sense.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I personally think neither is a sensical candidate for the Reds.
    You're probably right (well, I know you're right about Lowe). But man, the lightning that could be left in Carpenter's arm...
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Okay, so after some research I think I understand the waivers rules a bit better. What I don't understand is this:

If the two PTBNL have to clear waivers before the deal is official, what is to stop other clubs from placing claims on them before the 48-hour wait period is over?

That is, say Micah Owings and Josh Whitesell are currently on waivers. And say the Astros make a waiver claim on both of them. Wouldn't that screw up the trade? Or would Walt just have to renegotiate for different players?

Sorry if I'm being dense here, but I'm just trying to figure out how this works.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I very much don't like this trade if Eric Byrnes is the principle return.

I like it a bit better if it is Owings + Buck + a young, cheap bat with upside.
    Ditto.

After reading the blurb about Byrnes I'm even more worried that he could be part of the return.

Mentions of "one man wrecking crew" and the notion he could be an outfield platoon is not promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Mentions of "one man wrecking crew" and the notion he could be an outfield platoon is not promising.
    I wonder if he has an imaginary friend, too? At the very least, he's got a dog who can swim well.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Well, a lot of folks are going to get exactly what they wanted on offense. And we'll see how much *better* it is.

I'll wait to see the full return before I form a full opinion, but if they don't go out and get a big bat this off-season, next year's Reds are goig to have one of the worst offenses we've seen in decades. I know I'm not looking forward to it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Didn't know he got re-injured. I'd still be seeing if they would give him up for nothing.
    They wouldn't be giving him up for nothing.

They would be giving him up to save $45M.

That would be quite a savings..

I know Carpenter is very capable of getting back to a reasonable pitcher.

But if he was a FA today, he would likely get an incentive laden contract. He would currently have negative trade value. I wouldn't take him for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You're probably right (well, I know you're right about Lowe). But man, the lightning that could be left in Carpenter's arm...
    Guys like Carpenter... I love signing them when they rehab and such, but you almost have to deal them after they start making lots of money. Carp sure has the upside, but for every good year, you might get 1-2 injury riddled seasons.

The Cards were crazy to extend him prematurely. I prefer the Rich Harden rode. Wait for the first dominating period, and flip them before they get injured again.

Okay, so after some research I think I understand the waivers rules a bit better. What I don't understand is this:

If the two PTBNL have to clear waivers before the deal is official, what is to stop other clubs from placing claims on them before the 48-hour wait period is over?

That is, say Micah Owings and Josh Whitesell are currently on waivers. And say the Astros make a waiver claim on both of them. Wouldn't that screw up the trade? Or would Walt just have to renegotiate for different players?

Sorry if I'm being dense here, but I'm just trying to figure out how this works.
    If they are claimed, the D'backs pull them back and the deal is completed at the end of the season. All it would mean is we wait a little longer to get our new players.

Also....I'm stunned. I can't believe it.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Then why the reference to "trading in the same division"?

It could only mean you doubted that the Cards would trade Carpenter to a team in their own division (hence the rolling eyes).

Otherwise, such reference makes no sense.
    I'm a little confused, but I don't think they would trade pitcher with his upside within the same division (contract be damned). At the same time, I don't want the Reds to acquire him if they are in rebuild mode.

As for Derek Lowe, I advocated the Reds signing him before this "rebuild", but I don't think it is a good idea anymore. I just feel he is a better choice than Chris Carpenter regardless the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Well, a lot of folks are going to get exactly what they wanted on offense. And we'll see how much *better* it is.

I'll wait to see the full return before I form a full opinion, but if they don't go out and get a big bat this off-season, next year's Reds are goig to have one of the worst offenses we've seen in decades. I know I'm not looking forward to it.
    I think the only big bats on the market this off-season are Mark Teixeira and Adam Dunn. Teixeira is okay, but I want no part of Dunn. He strikes out too much, is laid back, and plays bad defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    If they are claimed, the D'backs pull them back and the deal is completed at the end of the season. All it would mean is we wait a little longer to get our new players.

Also....I'm stunned. I can't believe it.
    I see. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Guys, we weren't gonna get much of a return for a month and a half for Dunn, but why didn't Walt just take the picks if he is gonna get 2 PTBNL?
    Because he'd have to be offered then refuse arbitration for the Reds to get the picks, and based on how Dunn is ill-thought of by so many teams, his agent just might encourage him to take the arbitration. At least Walt got something for Dunn.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

If they (or either) is claimed, they would simply be traded after the season when they could pass to the Reds without waivers. But it's unlikely any team would block them. They would know they are going to the Reds, and they would have chance of getting them. Also, the Reds would claim them, so they would only have to worry about teams behind them claiming them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Because he'd have to be offered then refuse arbitration for the Reds to get the picks, and based on how Dunn is ill-thought of by so many teams, his agent just might encourage him to take the arbitration. At least Walt got something for Dunn.
    A. He would not accept arbitration

B. He's not as ill-thought of as you think

C. If he accepted arbitration, that would probably be the best case scenario

Turn Off Ads?