Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Good day for Dunn, he goes from a last place team to a first place team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    That's pretty interesting. Apparently the TJ surgery was long overdue. It's possible he hasn't been pitching at full strength since college. If that's the case, his upside coud be conceivably higher than middle of the rotation. A wildcard of sorts.
    A current Moneyball technique is targeting once highly regarded post TJers

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Yep.
    I wonder who the Reds fans and media will now blame if/when the Reds continue to lose?
    Jay Bruce is stepping up.

One full season of 150+ strikeouts and he'll be the new devil.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Adam Dunn would never get a Max Scherzer in any return. No way, no how.
    Then why trade him? The draft picks would have been decent -- it's not like we had to trade him or get nothing for him at the end of the year. Worst case, we were going to get a couple draft picks. If Scherzer is not in the deal, I would have honestly preferred the draft picks.

High five!

Over/under on the Reds scoring 100 runs the rest of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The question will be whether the Reds got two number one worthy players in return. Essentially they gave up two number one picks by trading Dunn and not letting him walk.
    Keep in mind though, they don't need to pay the bonuses on whatever players they acquire. If they got two draft picks next year, that's a lot of money they'd have to throw around on unproven talent.

Perhaps this way Walt gets to play with money on the major league side while continuing to keep the minor league system useful for help down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I wonder if they would have had the potential to get more in return for Dunn if they faced facts last year and realized that the team wasn't going anywhere anytime soon?
    I doubt it. Dunn's situation last year was pretty much the same as this year: a two-month rental.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Then why trade him? The draft picks would have been decent -- it's not like we had to trade him or get nothing for him at the end of the year. Worst case, we were going to get a couple draft picks. If Scherzer is not in the deal, I would have honestly preferred the draft picks.
    signability? with the slotting the way it is, high picks are getting harder and harder to sign. I don't agree that that should be how an organization is run, just throwing things agains the wall hoping they stick. I'm still stunned.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Good day for Dunn, he goes from a last place team to a first place team.
    Here's hoping for a White Sox-D'backs World Series.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Put me on the record at 3:08 PM 8/11/08 - I'd rather have the draft picks.

See ya, Dunner. Give Cincinnati and it's baseball "fans" the finger on your way out of town for all of us that still appreciate good ballplayers.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

This was inevitable. The only choice the Reds had was to offer arbitration and get two draft choices. Given how expensive (and unpredictable) high draft choices are, I can understand why the Reds preferred to go this route.

IMO, you can't look at this move in a vacuum. For the first time since the Griffey trade, the Reds are fundamentally changing their team. The Dunn/Griffey days are over and we won't be able to judge the outcome for a few years.

Anyone who trashes the Reds for this must remember that Dunn was free in about 7 weeks. The Indians traded Sabathia. The Braves traded Texiera. That's the way it goes.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    At least one of these guys have to be in the deal for it to be considered a decent return: Max Scherzer, Micah Owings, Jarrod Parker, or Miguel Montero.
    Well, if Owings is in the deal, that will help make up for some of the HRs we're losing. However, not sure if it will help the pitching staff too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    As edabbs said earlier, PTBNL don't have to be junk/filler.... especially at this point. It likely signifies that they are on the 40 man, and wont neccessarily clear waivers (thus can't technically be traded right now). They could be basically anyone in the minors (Scherzer included).

Chris Reitsma could have been a PTBNL when we got him from Boston (as he was a post deadline trade for Bichette)... but I think teams let him clear because he was involved in a trade. He was considered a pretty interesting prospect at the time.
    Come on, Scherzer won't be in this deal. I guess we will just have to wait and see if the other guys that make up the return have more value than the picks...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Keep in mind though, they don't need to pay the bonuses on whatever players they acquire. If they got two draft picks next year, that's a lot of money they'd have to throw around on unproven talent.

Perhaps this way Walt gets to play with money on the major league side while continuing to keep the minor league system useful for help down the road.
    Good point.

On the bright side, now they don't have to hire movers to take out the clubhouse couch.

Turn Off Ads?