Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dickerson officially called up

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Dickerson officially called up

Today the Reds recalled from Class AAA Louisville OF Chris Dickerson (#21) to fill the roster spot vacated by OF Adam Dunn, who yesterday was traded to the Diamondbacks, along with cash, in exchange for minor league RHP Dallas Buck and 2 players to be named later.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dickerson officially called up

Good move. I'm glad to see him finally get a chance. Hopefully he plays center field everyday. Dickerson hit .287/.384/.479 in Louisville including a .300/.397/.527 mark against right handed pitchers.

High five!

Yup. Time to see what he can do with the big club.

Hopefully, Corey Patterson doesn't give him any "tips."

It will be interesting to see what they do defensively. I'm hoping Dickerson plays CF and starts everyday. Patterson and Cabrera platoon until Hairston is back. Patterson in RF and Bruce in LF against righties. Bruce in RF, Cabrera in LF against lefties.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It will be interesting to see what they do defensively. I'm hoping Dickerson plays CF and starts everyday. Patterson and Cabrera platoon until Hairston is back. Patterson in RF and Bruce in LF against righties. Bruce in RF, Cabrera in LF against lefties.
    Why move Bruce around? I'm hoping they can Bruce in RF from here on out to let him get comfortable out there. I'd play Dickerson in CF because his range is supposedly top notch and he's got a better arm than Patterson.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Also don't forget that there may be an AZ position player who figures into this mix....or forces an existing Reds player out of the IF.
    Last edited by OldXOhio; 08-12-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I hope Hairston gets enough AB's from here on out to show what he really is (nothing special).

Patterson needs to go bye bye. Even with the loss of Dunn and depth in the OF, we simply don't need him. He is in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Why move Bruce around? I'm hoping they can Bruce in RF from here on out to let him get comfortable out there. I'd play Dickerson in CF because his range is supposedly top notch and he's got a better arm than Patterson.
    I guess I wasn't clear. I'd actually prefer Bruce stay in RF for the reasons you've cited, but I think we'll probably see him pushed to LF when both Dickerson and Patterson are playing.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'll be rooting hard for Dickerson. Good to see him get a chance.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I hope Hairston gets enough AB's from here on out to show what he really is (nothing special).
    Walt has shown the ability in the past to recognize what a player is, and when they are having a career season. He let Tony Womack walk after his career season with the Cards(he signed with the Yanks before being traded to the Reds after a year).

I was hoping that Dickerson would get #29, since he's Eric Dickerson's cousin, but the Reds issued that number to Hanigan on Sunday.

I would start him in CF, and leave Bruce in RF. Patterson and Cabrera can platoon in LF until Hairston is ready, and then Jerry Jr. can take over in LF. Against tough lefties, the Reds can give Dickerson a day off by moving Hairston to CF and starting Cabrera in LF.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Walt has shown the ability in the past to recognize what a player is, and when they are having a career season. He let Tony Womack walk after his career season with the Cards(he signed with the Yanks before being traded to the Reds after a year).
    Let's just hope that Walt isn't influenced by Marty and the banana-phone caller's who feel Hairston is the second coming.

I'm tired of watching this re-run.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Let's just hope that Walt isn't influenced by Marty and the banana-phone caller's who feel Hairston is the second coming.

I'm tired of watching this re-run.
    Wayne would have already signed him to a 2 year extension.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Good move. I'm glad to see him finally get a chance. Hopefully he plays center field everyday. Dickerson hit .287/.384/.479 in Louisville including a .300/.397/.527 mark against right handed pitchers.
    his big OPS vs rhp in AAA gives me hope than he could at least be part of a CF platoon ( rather than a 5th outfielder or AAAA player ).

According to BP, Hairston will be ready to go tonight. Let's hope we see a Hairston-Dickerson-Bruce OF from left to right.

I want Hairston to play if for no other reason than so he can regress and dull the shine which might lead to an ill-advised contract and unnecessary roster confusion next spring.

Turn Off Ads?