Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Stubbs Promoted to AAA!!!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: Stubbs Promoted to AAA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    So he's 23.
    23 and 5/6thssss.

Today was his 24th August 16th and he's closer to 24 than 23. Whatever floats your boat.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    23 and 5/6thssss.

Today was his 24th August 16th and he's closer to 24 than 23. Whatever floats your boat.
    In the universe I live in, which is the only universe I can speak for, if you are 23 years old, that makes you closer to being 23 years old than 24 years old.

He is a 23 year old. Let's not make it more complex than that. 2 months from now you can use 24 as his age.

Seriously, I know what you are getting at, but just say he is "almost 24". It sounds a lot better.

Redszone: The only forum on the internet where the age of someone is argued about

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    In the universe I live in, which is the only universe I can speak for, if you are 23 years old, that makes you closer to being 23 years old than 24 years old.

He is a 23 year old. Let's not make it more complex than that. 2 months from now you can use 24 as his age.

Seriously, I know what you are getting at, but just say he is "almost 24". It sounds a lot better.

Redszone: The only forum on the internet where the age of someone is argued about
    hilarious

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    You're not going to convince me that media hype doesn't influence their lists. What about my example of Bailey and Cueto last year? BA had Bailey top-10, but it didn't take long for me to realize everybody wanted Cueto. I'm sure the scouts feed them a bone from time to time, but I don't believe for a second that what they put out is a mirror reflection of the thinking that's going on within the organizations.
    I have talked to the guys that work at BA and am friends with a guy that worked there before leaving for other opportunities. Scouts don't feed them a bone from time to time. They talk to scouts, as in plural, every day about guys. All of the main guys at BA (10-15 of them) talk with scouts every day, getting information and reports on players throughout the minors. Sure, their lists are subject to what a specific writer thinks, but he bases what he thinks off of what the scouts tell him about the player.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

And you just contibuted to it. Well done.

LOL.

For what it's worth, in the land of prospectville when comparing two prospects, age does matter. One guy could have just turned 23 and the other could be a month away from 24. In everyday world, we would call them both 23. Great.

But, when analyzing those two prospects at the same level, it's quite obvious that one is a year older than the other even though, AT THE CURRENT TIME, they are both 23. Personally, I use 23.1 and 23.11.

By the way, I wasn't arguing anything.

Just curious. Do people think Stubbs could at least match Corey Patterson's numbers if he was in the bigs now?

Quote Originally Posted by JKam View Post
    Just curious. Do people think Stubbs could at least match Corey Patterson's numbers if he was in the bigs now?
    I'm pleased with the progress Stubbs is making, but I'm skeptical he could put up the same/better numbers playing regularly over 162 games than Patterson could right now. I'd want neither as my everyday outfielder right now in Cincy.

Give Drew some time and my answer will probably change.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have talked to the guys that work at BA and am friends with a guy that worked there before leaving for other opportunities. Scouts don't feed them a bone from time to time. They talk to scouts, as in plural, every day about guys. All of the main guys at BA (10-15 of them) talk with scouts every day, getting information and reports on players throughout the minors. Sure, their lists are subject to what a specific writer thinks, but he bases what he thinks off of what the scouts tell him about the player.
    I'm sure this is all true. But I also think that these lists are sort of self-fulfilling. Once a guy gets labeled as a top prospect, it is harder to knock him down the list. The Bailey/Cueto situation is a good example. Bailey was rated higher because he started off being rated higher. We learned in the trade season that MLB teams valued Cueto more, including the Reds. It's not that the people from BA are being fed false information or trying to make a bad list, it's just inescapable that there is going to be some human bias.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    I'm sure this is all true. But I also think that these lists are sort of self-fulfilling. Once a guy gets labeled as a top prospect, it is harder to knock him down the list. The Bailey/Cueto situation is a good example. Bailey was rated higher because he started off being rated higher. We learned in the trade season that MLB teams valued Cueto more, including the Reds. It's not that the people from BA are being fed false information or trying to make a bad list, it's just inescapable that there is going to be some human bias.
    There is human bias with everything. I think Bailey was rated higher for his stuff to go with his projectability. Cueto also made a decent jump in velocity from last year to this year. He NEVER was able to hit 95-96 consistently until this year. He was always in the 90-94 range. Even still, I wouldn't be surprised if Bailey carved out a better career than Cueto. Short righties don't tend to have long careers, so its something that is going to hang over Cueto's head for a while until he puts up a few more years of 170+ innings a year.

I don't know if it was more Cueto rising than Bailey falling to be honest. As of this time last year, all we heard about Bailey was he constantly hit the mid to upper 90's with his fastball, had an above-average changeup, and a curveball that needed some twinking but would still be an above-average pitch eventually. However, none of those pitches came to fruition in the majors. Atleast not yet.

Can anyone give an update on how Stubbs has looked thus far in his triple A play?
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    Can anyone give an update on how Stubbs has looked thus far in his triple A play?
    I haven't seen him play but he's playing exceptionally well right now with a .348/.412/.587 - .999 OPS through 46 atbats and has stolen three bases and has thrown a couple runners out at home with his strong arm.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I haven't seen him play but he's playing exceptionally well right now with a .348/.412/.587 - .999 OPS through 46 atbats and has stolen three bases and has thrown a couple runners out at home with his strong arm.
    Yea I saw that on CTrent's blog but was hoping someone maybe had gotten to see him in person.

Also how many games/ABs is that stretch over?
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Stubbs has played in 11 games with Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    He looks good. I have watched 5 or 6 games online of his. He doesn't look bad at the plate at all, and defensively he flat out goes and gets it. Very patient at the plate, waits for his pitch.

Turn Off Ads?