Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stubbs Promoted to AAA!!!

Re: Stubbs Promoted to AAA!!!

Glad to see Heisey moved up too. That kid has been extremely impressive in Sarasota.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds Promote Stubbs To Triple-A

Posted Aug. 12, 2008 1:29 pm by Ben Badler
    Filed under: Daily Dish, Promotions

The eighth overall pick in the 2006 draft is headed to Louisville.

The Reds promoted Double-A Chattanooga center fielder Drew Stubbs to Triple-A, putting the 23-year-old one step away from the big leagues. Stubbs, who has 70 speed on the 20-80 scouting scale and good raw power, began the year with high Class A Sarasota, where he hit .261/.366/.406 in 86 games. In 26 games with Chattanooga, Stubbs batted .314/.400/.402.

Of the other top ten picks from the 2006 draft, eight have already reached the big leagues: Luke Hochevar, Greg Reynolds, Evan Longoria, Brandon Morrow, Andrew Miller, Clayton Kershaw and Tim Lincecum, with Kershaw the lone high school pick. The other two—Pirates righthander Brad Lincoln (No. 4 overall out of Houstin) and Orioles third baseman Billy Rowell (No. 9 out of a New Jersey high school) are still in the minors.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'm not sure what to think here. I don't think he's particularly earned a promotion. I could see Jocketty doing this as a little bit of old-fashioned Missouri show-me. He has to figure out what to do with center field, and Dickerson and Stubbs are both factors. Is next year's solution in-house? Is any year's solution in-house? He can either hold 'em, go shopping for a short-term guy or go shopping for a long-term guy. Obviously, he wants as much info as he can get on their readiness.
    Not all who wander are lost

It seems obvious to me that Stubbs gets the bump up, (even though Dorn and Henry are every bit as deserving), as Stubbs is a stellar CF. Dorn though, appears to have some of the power lost by the departures of Duh-nn and Griffey. Next year may be very interesting filling out the starting OF. It may be wishful, but it would be ultimately fantastic if it can be accomplished from within the system

Heisey is now showing up on Chattanooga's roster.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I'm not sure what to think here. I don't think he's particularly earned a promotion. I could see Jocketty doing this as a little bit of old-fashioned Missouri show-me. He has to figure out what to do with center field, and Dickerson and Stubbs are both factors. Is next year's solution in-house? Is any year's solution in-house? He can either hold 'em, go shopping for a short-term guy or go shopping for a long-term guy. Obviously, he wants as much info as he can get on their readiness.
    Louisville needs a CF. Stubbs certainly fits that bill.

I know some will claim he is only being promoted because he is a 1st round draft pick, but sometimes players are promoted because of orgranizational need. It doesn't hurt that Stubbs was doing quite well offensively in his limited AA exposure.

Bad move, Walt.

Stubbs has no business seeing Louisville this season.

Henry should have gotten the call.

Stubbs will fail.

.230/.330/.330

Hope he keeps it up, but I am a little shocked at the early promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Bad move, Walt.

Stubbs will fail.

.230/.330/.330
    Why does he have no business seeing Louisville?

Wish it was Dorn, the guy who's mashed since the day he was drafted. Especially since we have such a powerful offense in the majors now. Can't say I'm extremely hopeful about Stubbs succeeding in AAA, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Why does he have no business seeing Louisville?
    Because he isn't Tim Lincecum?

I agree with IslandRed, about the future of the CF position in center as a reason for this. From Louisville's perspective, I would hate to go into a playoff game without a decent defensive centerfielder.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Bad move, Walt.

Stubbs will fail.

.230/.330/.330
    How did you feel he would perform at Chatt.?

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Bad move, Walt.

Stubbs will fail.

.230/.330/.330
    I disagree. A bunch.

Stubb's is 24 and was drafted out of a powerhouse collegic program. He wasn't drafted to be a project, but rather an already polished player who can make an impact in the majors a couple years after he's drafted. I really don't see any problem with promoting him to Louisville. If he were a pitcher, I'd be worried, but he's an everyday player and I'm in the belief that challenging everyday players is good thing.
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Stubb's is 24 and was drafted out of a powerhouse collegic program. He wasn't drafted to be a project, but rather an already polished player who can make an impact in the majors a couple years after he's drafted. I really don't see any problem with promoting him to Louisville. If he were a pitcher, I'd be worried, but he's an everyday player and I'm in the belief that challenging everyday players is good thing.
    Few things.
    1. Stubbs is 23.
    2. He wasn't drafted to be a polished player. Everyone knew he was raw with tools, but needed to learn to use the ones at the plate.

Turn Off Ads?