Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stubbs Promoted to AAA!!!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: Stubbs Promoted to AAA!!!

Stubbs will 24 in less than two months, so he's actually closer to 24 than 23 (if we are going to get picky).

I agree with Oxilon. Nothing wrong with challenging a high pick out of college, especially a non-pitcher.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Too old for his le-...

oh, nevermind!
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Why does he have no business seeing Louisville?
    Moving from High-A Sarasota to AAA Louisville with only 100 AB's in-between where he didn't exactly light things up is too quick of a jump. There are very few examples of players who've succeeded doing this with similar numbers that he put up for those 100 AB's. He's never exactly lit it up anywhere so with Stubbs, you're always riding a fine line.

I believe I understand why it was done, though.

While I've been a strong backer of Chris Dickerson, I believed until this new batting ability he's uncorked that he was only worthy of giving the Major Leauge Ballclub good enough numbers to be a starter for 2009. I believe Stubbs is the Centerfielder that they'd rather have, but that he wouldn't be ready to begin a full season with the REDS until 2011, being promoted to the ballclub in June of 2010. I think they're trying to see if they can hurry that along. I think Dickerson and Cumberland could have held the fort throughout the end of 2010. I don't think that the REDS feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    How did you feel he would perform at Chatt.?
    I felt he would do well and that the promotion was well-timed. I was a little under on the AVG, OBP, and OPS (about 20 points there), but I was over on the SLG by about 40 points. His AVG was much higher there. Defensively he got to work with some new Coaches, though only for a short stint. There's a lot less coaching going on at AAA than there is at AA, though each individual is treated differently. He was only drafted two years ago. (2006 draft, right?) That's not very long at all. Everybody has their own pace.

The way the REDS have handled promotions the last three years, I'm extremely pleased. You're going to be wrong sometimes just from the human factor of the players alone. The REDS have been very successful.

The only 2 times I've disagreed with a promotion was the Daryl Thompson one, which they corrected immediately after admitting their mistake (not publicly) and doing the wise thing and shutting him down, and now this one. I'm wrong sometimes, too.

I definitely put this move under the category of "a gamble" by the REDS.

I'm tickled pink about the trade of Dunn and what we got in return for what it's opening up. This move is one of the moves that was made because of it. Stubbs stays in AA if Dunn isn't traded.

By the way, Cumberland has been doing almost as well in Louisville as Stubbs did in Chattanooga. Cumberland doesn't have the walks. (.278/.350/.472/.822 his last 10 games). Also, coaches decision or whatever, Stubbs practically stopped stealing bases when he got to Chattanooga. He had several outfield assists.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-13-2008 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    How did you feel he would perform at Chatt.?
    because 54 points of his total OPS at Chatt came on his first day. after that he was a worse hitter than he was in Sarasota, albeit a smaller sample. We were told he'd SLG better in the SL, and really, not so much. Now the response to this will be "oh sure anyone can make a player look bad by removing his best games" pheh. I said he'd get off to a hot start. He did. then he stunk for his next 60-70 AB's before getting hot again his last week in AA. All I did was take away his first game, not some random series.

That tells me Stubbs is easy to figure out. It also tells me he CAN make adjustments, but it takes him quite a while to do so. Pitchers in the FSL OWNED him in May-June. 180 AB's of SUB .650 OPS ball. He all around stunk. POST ASB all his AB's came in the SL, with one game before the SL ASB (his best game.) His OBP was great, .380, but he still didn't HIT. .368 SLG.

He can get on base, but we've seen with more exposuer to a league (FSL) that when he doesn't hit his OBP suffers. We didn't see him long enough in the Southern League to see if this would happen again.

I'd have left him in AA, but if you wanted to maximize his value as a potential trading chip, this was a smart move.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'd have left him in AA, but if you wanted to maximize his value as a potential trading chip, this was a smart move.
    That was my initial reaction.

It could also be that WJ doesn't really like Stubbs as a prospect and is saying "Look, if you can't hit in AAA at 24 y.o., you're not a prospect. So here's you're chance to prove if you can hit in AAA.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 08-13-2008 at 12:39 PM.

carmack42

I was looking forward to seeing Stubbs here in Huntsville last night, but under the circumstances I'll accept it.

They played a doubleheader. Heisey blanked in the first game, but hit 2 for 4 in the second. Not bad for a guy that must have had a crazy day.

Bonus: Stars manager Don Money got ejected in the 1st inning of the 1st game and didn't show up for the 2nd game. Dude must have wanted to watch the gymnastics final or something.

Quote Originally Posted by carmack42 View Post
    Dude must have wanted to watch the gymnastics final or something.
    Don Money = Humbert Humphrey

because 54 points of his total OPS at Chatt came on his first day. after that he was a worse hitter than he was in Sarasota, albeit a smaller sample. We were told he'd SLG better in the SL, and really, not so much. Now the response to this will be "oh sure anyone can make a player look bad by removing his best games" pheh. I said he'd get off to a hot start. He did. then he stunk for his next 60-70 AB's before getting hot again his last week in AA. All I did was take away his first game, not some random series.

That tells me Stubbs is easy to figure out. It also tells me he CAN make adjustments, but it takes him quite a while to do so. Pitchers in the FSL OWNED him in May-June. 180 AB's of SUB .650 OPS ball. He all around stunk. POST ASB all his AB's came in the SL, with one game before the SL ASB (his best game.) His OBP was great, .380, but he still didn't HIT. .368 SLG.

He can get on base, but we've seen with more exposuer to a league (FSL) that when he doesn't hit his OBP suffers. We didn't see him long enough in the Southern League to see if this would happen again.

I always love how you take out parts...IF you are going to take out his best game at least take out his worst game...You could also think about his leadoff spot experiment which didn't work...That was when he went bad...

Quote Originally Posted by crazyredfan40 View Post
    I always love how you take out parts...IF you are going to take out his best game at least take out his worst game...You could also think about his leadoff spot experiment which didn't work...That was when he went bad...
    While it was his best game, it wasn't a random game. It was his FIRST game in AA. his next 89 AB's just weren't all that good. Especially his next 70. He did have a good week just before the bump to AAA.

I'm not cherry picking his stats. He had a hot start in early April, followed by 2 1/2 months of pure suckitude. I don't care what his LD% is. a .630 OPS over 2 months is awful.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

While it was his best game, it wasn't a random game. It was his FIRST game in AA. his next 89 AB's just weren't all that good. Especially his next 70. He did have a good week just before the bump to AAA.

I'm not cherry picking his stats. He had a hot start in early April, followed by 2 1/2 months of pure suckitude. I don't care what his LD% is. a .630 OPS over 2 months is awful.
    You are absolutely cherry picking stats.

You removed his best game, then you immediately followed up by minimizing his final 19 at bats in Chattanooga. You claim he had a hot start in April and then sucked for 2 1/2 months, yet his numbers in Chattanooga certainly didn't suck .... unless you cherry pick all of his bad games and throw the good ones out.

If you are going to eliminate his best games, you have to eliminate his worst games too. If you eliminate all of Albert Pujols multi-hit games from his record and keep all the goose-eggs, he's going to look like a bum too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    If you are going to eliminate his best games, you have to eliminate his worst games too. If you eliminate all of Albert Pujols multi-hit games from his record and keep all the goose-eggs, he's going to look like a bum too.
    That's a good point. What happens to that .630 OPS if you scratch out a couple of o-fers as well? Plus, I'd want to know his OBP moreso than his OPS, as his only shot is probably as a lead-off hitter and I don't care very much what my leadoff hitter slugs. If that .630 OPS includes a .340 OBP, then I don't see much wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    That's a good point. What happens to that .630 OPS if you scratch out a couple of o-fers as well? Plus, I'd want to know his OBP moreso than his OPS, as his only shot is probably as a lead-off hitter and I don't care very much what my leadoff hitter slugs. If that .630 OPS includes a .340 OBP, then I don't see much wrong with that.
    I agree with you in principle, but to make one thing clear, if his OBP is .340, and his OPS is .630, that means his SLG is .290, and at that point, we're talking about something that's not tolerable from anyone but a pitcher. If he's OPSing at .700, then I'll say the Reds probably need an upgrade (no matter how good the defense is), but it's not necessarily their biggest need.

According to redsminorleagues.com, he went 2-4 with a walk, 2b, a homer, and two runs.

I have no idea what kind of pitching he was facing there, but good start so far.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    According to redsminorleagues.com, he went 2-4 with a walk, 2b, a homer, and two runs.

I have no idea what kind of pitching he was facing there, but good start so far.
    That's from the day before yesterday.

Turn Off Ads?