Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 2009 targets!

My 2009 targets!

Here are my ideas for getting us some offensive production and trying to stay reasonable at the same time.

1)Trade Homer Bailey and Danny Herrara to KC for David DeJesus(CF)

2)Free Agent Acquisitions:

a)Kevin Millar(1B/OF)-he gives us the RH pop off the bench and can start @100 games a year in OF/1B, keeping the lineup fresh.

b)Milton Bradley(RF)-he's the RH in the middle of the order and starts in RF allowing us to move Bruce to Left.

c)Gabe Kapler-He is the 4th OF that can play all 3 spots, thus allowing us to play Freel in the INF/Utlity role

d)Re-sign Jeremy Affeldt for the lefty role, and Mike Lincoln for RHRP

Lineup:
    1)DeJesus-CF
    2)Phillips-2b
    3)Bruce-LF
    4)Bradley-RF
    5)EE-3b
    6)Votto-1b
    7)Gonzalez-SS
    8)Hanigan-C

Bench:
    1)Freel-INF/OF
    2)Millar-1b/OF
    3)Keppinger-INF
    4)Kapler-OF
    5)Castillo-C-assuming he's the PTBNL in the Dunn trade, he's also very versatile playing many positions.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Re: My 2009 targets!

I like DeJesus but I think it would take more than Homer/Herrera to get him.

I like Bradley too although he might be expensive, looking for a multi-year deal and we now have Mr. Intangibles advising Walt.

Affeldt and Lincoln have been surprises this year. If I had to choose one, I'd choose Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    Here are my ideas for getting us some offensive production and trying to stay reasonable at the same time.

1)Trade Homer Bailey and Danny Herrara to KC for David DeJesus(CF)
    Good luck with this one. KC would laugh at you. Props, though, DeJesus is a good target. Just enrich the deal. Add Stubbs or Dickerson, and upgrade Herrerra to Carlos Fisher or Pedro Viola.
    2)Free Agent Acquisitions:

a)Kevin Millar(1B/OF)-he gives us the RH pop off the bench and can start @100 games a year in OF/1B, keeping the lineup fresh.
    I don't see the need for Millar. Votto is at first, and if you have DeJesus, then Millar isn't getting 100 starts.

2)b)Milton Bradley(RF)-he's the RH in the middle of the order and starts in RF allowing us to move Bruce to Left.
    IF MB will sign a reasonable deal he is Jocketty's type - some problems, but the season he is having a lot of teams are going to forget his temper and offer him big bucks. My guess is Texas re-signs him.

c)Gabe Kapler-He is the 4th OF that can play all 3 spots, thus allowing us to play Freel in the INF/Utlity role
    This one I could really see. Fits Walt's mold, shouldn't be too expensive.
    d)Re-sign Jeremy Affeldt for the lefty role, and Mike Lincoln for RHRP
    Lincoln will be re-signed is my guess. Affeldt will depend on whether he accepts his role or still wants to find a home where he can start.

Lineup:
    1)DeJesus-CF
    2)Phillips-2b
    3)Bruce-LF
    4)Bradley-RF
    5)EE-3b
    6)Votto-1b
    7)Gonzalez-SS
    8)Hanigan-C

Bench:
    1)Freel-INF/OF
    2)Millar-1b/OF
    3)Keppinger-INF
    4)Kapler-OF
    5)Castillo-C-assuming he's the PTBNL in the Dunn trade, he's also very versatile playing many positions.
    Not bad Schroomy. I don't see some of it happening but that's not a bad team at all.

I wonder how expensive Bradley will be. I keep hearing how a lot of people aren't valuing him as much as they would another player with similar numbers and wondering if he might be a slight bargain.

I think he'd be worth pursuing to see how expensive he gets.

It'll be interesting to see how Jocketty operates in the offseason. I get the feeling it will look very different than past winters.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

You need an established, solid catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    You need an established, solid catcher.
    I disagree with the established part. You need a solid catcher. Meaning defense and game calling mostly. Every catcher was once a rookie. Some are good right from the git. If a guy is a solid catcher defensively and the pitchers have confidence in him, he'll manage. Hanigan knows most of the Reds pitchers and is a solid defender; Castillo (if he's even in the deal) has a rep as an excellent defensive player. I think those two would work out. Then again, I'm not looking for a title in '09 but a solid season with lots of kids getting experience and maturing and holes getting filled for 2010. I think Walt deserves that much leash at the very least.

There is simply not a catcher out there that will be worth dropping big $$ on. I would rather have a solid backstop behind the plate hitting .230-.250 than a guy who cant catch a lick hitting .250!!! Yes, I do agree that KC wants more for DeJesus, and I would be willing to offer Bailey, Stubbs, and Herrera, but no more. We definitely need to push hard for Bradley though, we need that RH pop!!!!

Texiera and CC. I can dream can't I. I would also bring in Mazzone as the pitching coach and Davy Johnson as the manager.

1. Dickerson
    2. Keppinger
    3. Votto
    4. Texiera
    5. Bruce
    6. Edwin
    7. Phillips
    8. Hannigan

SP
    Harang
    CC
    Volquez
    Cueto
    Owings

There is no doubt in my mind that Castellini can afford to sign both Texiera and CC. I doubt he wants to commit that much money to two players but he does have the pocket book to do so. A middle ofthe order of Votto, Tex, and Bruce for the next 5 years would be pretty impressive.
    Last edited by bucksfan2; 08-14-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Heck, if you're dreaming add Milton Bradley as the CFer. Kepp won't be the SS, either, unless AGon breaks his other leg.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Texiera and CC. I can dream can't I. I would also bring in Mazzone as the pitching coach and Davy Jones as the manager.
    From the Monkees? I don't know; I'd prefer Mickey. He'd keep things loose.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I wonder how expensive Bradley will be. I keep hearing how a lot of people aren't valuing him as much as they would another player with similar numbers and wondering if he might be a slight bargain.
    he has an awful injury history as well as on-field explosions ... just don't count on him to play more than 100-110 games.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    From the Monkees? I don't know; I'd prefer Mickey. He'd keep things loose.
    Imagine Davy Jones going out to the mound to get the ball from Aaron Harang.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

High five!

When Davy Jones leaves the team, I bet no one wants his locker.

Maybe it's the Davy Jones who played alongside Ty Cobb and was featured in The Glory of Their Times (the only reason I know who he is). He shouldn't be much over 125 years old now.

(btw, I'm assuming the post we're mocking meant Davy Johnson, and I'd second that.)

Maybe Dusty still has a thing for Nomar and gets Walt to sign him to play first against lefties... I wouldn't be opposed as long as it's strictly a limited playing time role...

Turn Off Ads?