Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Players involved in the Dunn trade

Players involved in the Dunn trade

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diam...pt-owings.html

DENVER - Right-hander Micah Owings is one of the players to be named later in the deal that brought Adam Dunn to the Diamondbacks on Monday.

It's unclear if Owings has yet to be placed on waivers. He will have to clear waivers if he is to be traded before the end of the season.

It's possible that Owings has been placed on waivers already and was claimed by another team, at which point the Diamondbacks would have pulled him back off waivers. That would mean he would not be able to be traded until the conclusion of the regular season.
    It's also unclear is Owings' physical condition could be a factor in the deal. He is expected to miss his start Wednesday with shoulder stiffness.

Owings was inconsistent in his 1 ½ seasons in the Diamondbacks rotation. He had a 4.30 ERA in 29 games (27 starts) last season, but was in jeopardy of being bumped from the rotation on several occasions. And after a strong start to this season, Owings has a 7.09 ERA since April 21.

But Owings is known as much, if not more, for his hitting. A former designated hitter in college, he has a career .313 average (35 for 112) with five home runs.

Minor league right-hander Dallas Buck also is part of the trade, but the identity of the third minor leaguer is not yet known.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Owings to Reds in Dunn Deal (Arizona Republic)

good to hear

He's a better hitter than Patterson.

Finally some offense for this team

Sounds good.

I think the guy who has to update the Reds roster on reds.com should get a raise for the work he's had to do lately.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    He's a better hitter than Patterson.
    and Javy, A. Phillips, Dickerson, Janish, Bako, and right now Kepp.

Per CTrent

Tuesday, August 12, 2008, 08:11 PM EST [Reds]

I've heard that not only has Micah Owings not cleared waivers, but he was claimed by a team with a worse record than the Reds.

That would mean it could only be one of four teams -- the Mariners, Giants, Padres and, yes, the Washington Nationals.

You think ol' Leatherpants put one in just as a final middle finger to his old team before he's canned? Don't be surprised if he did.

What would happen then -- if it's Owings -- is that the Diamondbacks would have to pull him off of waivers and he wouldn't be able to come to Cincinnati until after the season. Not a major blow, butan annoyance nonetheless.

Sounds like we wont see Owings (Assuming the reports are correct) until he is hopefully pinning down the fifth spot in the rotation next spring.

too late. larks beat me to it. please delete thanks

Wow - and I was thinking just that when I read about that waiver rule yesterday. That JimBo would be a prick and claim him just so we wouldn't get him until after the year. And look - it looks like it happened.

I just need to find out that Whitesell is the third guy and I begin to feel a whole lot better about this trade.

On the DBacks board they're guessing Castillo, the catcher. What are his stats, considering we need a major upgrade there? If he's remotely decent, I hope its him.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    On the DBacks board they're guessing Castillo, the catcher. What are his stats, considering we need a major upgrade there? If he's remotely decent, I hope its him.
    Remotely decent is pushing it in terms of his offensive abilities. No idea about his defense but I'd rather have Whitesell.

Owings appears to have some serious shoulder issues though?
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Wilkin Castillo's Baseball Cube Page
    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...Castillo.shtml

Color me unimpressed. I've never really heard much about this guy. His minor league stats are underwhelming. I've heard more about Whitesell and his numbers at AAA look much better. Although I think Whitesell is a couple years older than Castillo.

It's funny going to the DBacks board and then coming here. Some of the people over there saying, "why are we giving up Owings for a 2 month rental strikeout machine?" with a ton of others also saying, "Owings sucks good riddance." Then over here people are saying "Why are we trading Dunn?" and others saying "he sucks." It's funny. It's the same exact sentiment on both sides. Basically, most fans completely overestimate the value of their main players on every team.

Turn Off Ads?