Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Players involved in the Dunn trade

Re: Owings to Reds in Dunn Deal (Arizona Republic)

I've heard that Owings might be hurt as well. Even if its true I think its still well worth the risk. He showed last year he can be effective when healthy. I think the chances of him recovering from most injuries is greater than the chances of a compensatory pick reaching their potential. I guess the same can be said about Buck.

2. Turn Off Ads?

They may be saying hes hurt so they can sit him on the DL the rest of the season because Cincy ask them to. I mean if you traded for a player but he doesnt become your property until next year would you want him playing for another team risking injury,NO. I think it maybe something the Reds have ask the Dbacks to do in case he didnt pass waviers.

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    They may be saying hes hurt so they can sit him on the DL the rest of the season because Cincy ask them to. I mean if you traded for a player but he doesnt become your property until next year would you want him playing for another team risking injury,NO. I think it maybe something the Reds have ask the Dbacks to do in case he didnt pass waviers.
    very good point!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    that makes the most sense

Quote Originally Posted by larks View Post
    I've heard that Owings might be hurt as well. Even if its true I think its still well worth the risk. He showed last year he can be effective when healthy. I think the chances of him recovering from most injuries is greater than the chances of a compensatory pick reaching their potential. I guess the same can be said about Buck.
    Agreed, He even started off pretty darn good this year
    http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_...249&statType=2
    had two bad starts back to back in April and May, but other than that pitched very well. Then starting on May 30th it seems everything just fell apart, probably due to his sore shoulder. So the potential is there, lets hope the arm is healthy. But the great thing with him is if his arm is messed up you can put him at 1b/LF and acctually have a middle of the order bat potentially, unlike normal pitching prospects.

What about moving Owings from pitcher to say 1B and move Votto to LF. Just an idea
    because at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up--Marty B.

2013 record:
    GABP: 1-1 Wrigley: 2-0

Just talked to a DBacks fan off their board, he thought Owings would still be worth a shot just as a position player because he's a good hitter as well if the pitching thing doesn't work out.

Owings would be a better OFer than Votto IMO. He is a better athlete and has a better arm. I still think you have to give him a shot in the rotation though.

Bleeding Red in the South

I like this. If Owings can get back to the way he was throwing to start the season, he's a great option as our #4 starter. The trade is starting look much better. Owings is way more valuable than a sandwich pick.

On the minor league board, a guy who went to the same high school with top DBacks prospect Jarrod Parker says he's the other guy in the deal. Wow ... Parker and Owings would be big news.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    Just talked to a DBacks fan off their board, he thought Owings would still be worth a shot just as a position player because he's a good hitter as well if the pitching thing doesn't work out.
    Maybe Walt is thinking if he can't pitch he could be the Reds version of Ankiel!

Tuesday, August 12, 2008, 08:11 PM EST [Reds]

I've heard that not only has Micah Owings not cleared waivers, but he was claimed by a team with a worse record than the Reds.

That would mean it could only be one of four teams -- the Mariners, Giants, Padres and, yes, the Washington Nationals.

You think ol' Leatherpants put one in just as a final middle finger to his old team before he's canned? Don't be surprised if he did.

What would happen then -- if it's Owings -- is that the Diamondbacks would have to pull him off of waivers and he wouldn't be able to come to Cincinnati until after the season. Not a major blow, butan annoyance nonetheless.
    I think Trent is wrong here. The waiver order is set by order of finish last season. There were six teams with a worse record than the Reds last season. However, the waiver order is by league, so a player would have to clear the entire National League before an AL team could be awarded a claim. The NL teams with a worse record than the Reds last year were the Marlins, Pirates, and Giants. One of those teams is the culprit.

Unless I've misunderstood the rules or they've changed recently.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

With Owings this deal is looking pretty damn good.

Can't expect a lot for 1.5 months of Dunn but I am actually impressed.
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

There is no way we get Owings AND Whitesell. Have you seen Whitesell's AAA #'s?

.330 with 22 HR.

I would rather just have Owings than have Owings AND this Castillo guy.
    Castillo sucks and has no chance of ever sniffing a Major League dugout, so why even pay him a cent?

Quote Originally Posted by NarrowStairs View Post
    There is no way we get Owings AND Whitesell. Have you seen Whitesell's AAA #'s?

.330 with 22 HR.

I would rather just have Owings than have Owings AND this Castillo guy.
    Castillo sucks and has no chance of ever sniffing a Major League dugout, so why even pay him a cent?
    Because Castillo would fill a roster spot, and no matter how much you wouldn't like it (it's not like it's your money), that player taking that roster spot needs to get paid.

I'd rather have Castillo than a guy like Robin Jennings, that's for sure.
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

Turn Off Ads?