Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Players involved in the Dunn trade

Reds to get 3 pitchers for Dunn

From McCoy's blog, and also coincides with what someone heard P-Doc say:

"One of the two other pitchers coming to the Cincinnati Reds is DEFINITELY Michah Owens.
    A source very close to the situation confirmed to me today that Owings is one of the players to be identifield later from Arizona in the Adam Dunn trade."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/

so maybe the Parker rumors are true. Maybe with Byrnes, O-dog, and Upton down, the D-Backs realized how bad it had gotten with the offense and the fact that they won't be able to hang with the Dodgers w/o Dunn, so they got desperate.

Remember around the deadline it was said that Walt wanted 2-3 top of the line prospects for Dunn, if he didn't get that, then he was ok with the draft picks. Even though the Reds could only deal with the d-backs with the waviers, it still didn't change Walt's stance, there was no reason for it to. Kinda speaks volume when they all say that the deal came as a suprise. The Reds had all the chips in their corner on this one, and Walt could very well have coaxed the D-Backs into submission.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds to get 3 pitchers for Dunn

Parker is great prospect, but he is at least two and probably three to four years away from the majors. He is only 19 and this is his first year in pro ball. He also could jsut as easily end up like Homer Bailey as he could Brandon Webb.

I think the D-Backs understand that future is now, and might be willing to give up a big gun like Parker if they thought that Dunn could mean a Flag this year.

The only thing, is that I don't see them trading both Owing and Parker.

We'll see.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Re: Players involved in the Dunn trade

Don't know if this is worth the bandwidth via which it's transmitted, but the horse's patoot what goes by the handle of Daugherty just let slip at the end of his radio show that the third player is, in fact, Castillo.

He said it with utter confidence, but mentioned it in an off-hand way that directly contradicts what appears to have been written by others. Specifically: he said he's known the 3 players since yesterday afternoon, but wasn't talking because he was sworn to secrecy. But, says Pee Doc, he heard that Hal McCoy had "betrayed the confidence" of their shared source, so he just blurted out that it's Owings and Castillo coming over along with Buck on the grounds that he wanted to share the scoop.

And yet: what appears in this latest DDN blurb seems to suggest the third player is a pitcher (and, as far as publication/betraying-a-confidence goes, an UNNAMED pitcher). Pee Doc: liar, blowhard, or possessor of secret knowledge.... YOU make the call!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    And yet: what appears in this latest DDN blurb seems to suggest the third player is a pitcher (and, as far as publication/betraying-a-confidence goes, an UNNAMED pitcher). Pee Doc: liar, blowhard, or possessor of secret knowledge.... YOU make the call!
    He's definitely a blowhard, regardless of who the player is.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

wish max scherzer and not owings. Owings isn't better than anyone we have.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    wish max scherzer and not owings. Owings isn't better than anyone we have.
    Owings is good. He's also only 25.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    Don't know if this is worth the bandwidth via which it's transmitted, but the horse's patoot what goes by the handle of Daugherty just let slip at the end of his radio show that the third player is, in fact, Castillo.

He said it with utter confidence, but mentioned it in an off-hand way that directly contradicts what appears to have been written by others. Specifically: he said he's known the 3 players since yesterday afternoon, but wasn't talking because he was sworn to secrecy. But, says Pee Doc, he heard that Hal McCoy had "betrayed the confidence" of their shared source, so he just blurted out that it's Owings and Castillo coming over along with Buck on the grounds that he wanted to share the scoop.

Rick
    Thanks for the update.

Basically this means the three main sources out there, the enquirer, the DDN, and C. Trent, have all contradicted each other. I take that to mean that no one knows anything for sure.

However, if it is Castillo, that means that the Reds have filled two big holes for next year, Catcher and #5 starter.

Castillo can't hit a lick, but is considered one of the best defensive catchers in the minors. That fits Jocketty's MO, a solid defensive catcher who can be the captain of the infield, regardless of how he can hit. Pagnozzi, Matheny, Molina.

After Ross et al, Castillo will be a welcome relief to the hatchery that Reds fans have witnessed behind the plate these last few years.

Re: Owings to Reds in Dunn Deal (Arizona Republic)

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    With Owings this deal is looking pretty damn good.

Can't expect a lot for 1.5 months of Dunn but I am actually impressed.
    We can expect a bit because whoever has Dunn at the end gets the two compensatory 1st Round picks.

The best scenario I could have hope for with Dunn was that we could trade him for pitching that could help the team sooner than pitching from two supplemental 1st Round picks. Take two College pitchers and it would take two or three years if all goes right. What we got was less potential but also less risk.

As good of a deal as one could possibly hope for. At least one pitcher that would help the team in 2009 and is still young, another that could help the team in 2011, and still waiting on whatever is next up. The organization has all the young hitting that it needs. The only spot left to fill is Catcher, and always.....more pitching....Don't expect anything from Arroyo next season. Owings takes his spot.

So, we have for next year....Harang, Volquez, Owings, Cueto, and Fogg and a host of others to fill in from there.

Schnickelfritz

Adam Dunn for Buck Owens? I love this trade!

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post
    Adam Dunn for Buck Owens? I love this trade!
    So is he a pickin' or a grinnin'?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The best scenario I could have hope for with Dunn was that we could trade him for pitching that could help the team sooner than pitching from two supplemental 1st Round picks. Take two College pitchers and it would take two or three years if all goes right. What we got was less potential but also less risk.

As good of a deal as one could possibly hope for. At least one pitcher that would help the team in 2009 and is still young, another that could help the team in 2011, and still waiting on whatever is next up. The organization has all the young hitting that it needs. The only spot left to fill is Catcher, and always.....more pitching....Don't expect anything from Arroyo next season. Owings takes his spot.

So, we have for next year....Harang, Volquez, Owings, Cueto, and Fogg and a host of others to fill in from there.
    And why are we to expect nothing from Arroyo? It's not like 32 year olds can't pitch in the Majors any more and he has been solid after the break. Sure I would love to replace him with say Derek Lowe but I don't think Arroyo is just going to fall off the face of the earth.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

CTR seconds the talk that Castillo is the third part of the trade....

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2...g_out_loud_813

Castillo is terrible at the plate.

Re: Owings to Reds in Dunn Deal (Arizona Republic)

Quote Originally Posted by larks View Post
    I've heard that Owings might be hurt as well. Even if its true I think its still well worth the risk. He showed last year he can be effective when healthy. I think the chances of him recovering from most injuries is greater than the chances of a compensatory pick reaching their potential. I guess the same can be said about Buck.
    The Reds willing to take on sore-armed pichers in Owings and Buck? Wow. Apparently, they didn't learn their lesson with Majewski. I wonder if there is an agreement with the D'backs to replace them if they can't pass physicals? FWIW, I see it as a good deal IF they're healthy. Dunn wasn't coming back anyway.

Turn Off Ads?