Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking back to what it could of been...

Looking back to what it could of been...

I logged into my old photobucket account the other day and saw this... I just said Wow... Times sure do change in 6 years...

You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Looking back to what it could of been...

They've both put on way too many lbs since then. I expect some weight to appear in a player's late 20s/early 30s but these guys put on 25-30 lbs before they were 25.

Kearns has really been a disappointment. I recall when they were coming up and we were enjoying Dunn, Adam said "just wait 'till Kearns gets here. He's better than me." I think he was. I don't know if it was that collision with Ray King or just a case of a guy peaking at age 24 but Kearns was supposed to be a perennial All Star.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I really don't understand what anyone is talking about regarding Dunn being overweight. I don't see it.

I keep reading it and hearing it on call-in shows from his detractors, but I don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I really don't understand what anyone is talking about regarding Dunn being overweight. I don't see it.

I keep reading it and hearing it on call-in shows from his detractors, but I don't see it.
    Gosh we all should look the same as we did at 21.... did you miss the memo?

They both had BRM haircuts. That is what went wrong, they let their hair grow.

He's slimmer now.

Austin Kearns is reason enough not to annoit Jay Bruce the savior of the franchise just yet.

Let Bruce develop into it....don't appoint him it.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

OT- i do like those helmets as opposed to the cool-flo ones they wear now. But again, I'm a geek.
    Witty signature.

I submit further evidence...Remember Brandon Larson?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

We do have two openings in the outfield after this season...

Let's bring 'em back!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Austin Kearns is reason enough not to annoit Jay Bruce the savior of the franchise just yet.

Let Bruce develop into it....don't appoint him it.
    Kearns was a highly thought of prospect that's value to Cincy was inflated because of his local ties. He burst onto the scene but never made the proper adjsutments or his shoulder never regained the form after Ray King.

Dunn on the other hand looked like a HOF in his early career but after the 2002 AS break he never seemed to get back to that early level. Dunn's first half of 02 was unreal; .300 BA, .452 OBP, .544 Slugging. It seemed like the league made some adjustments that Dunn has failed to make.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Dunn on the other hand looked like a HOF in his early career but after the 2002 AS break he never seemed to get back to that early level. Dunn's first half of 02 was unreal; .300 BA, .452 OBP, .544 Slugging. It seemed like the league made some adjustments that Dunn has failed to make.
    My theory, and with some anecdotal evidence to support, is that coaches kept trying to "fix" Adam to get him to stop striking out so much. Every new hitting coach or manager that came in (and there were a lot of them) thought they could "fix" him. Dumbest decision ever.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    My theory, and with some anecdotal evidence to support, is that coaches kept trying to "fix" Adam to get him to stop striking out so much. Every new hitting coach or manager that came in (and there were a lot of them) thought they could "fix" him. Dumbest decision ever.
    True enough. There were too many cooks in Adam's kitchen so to say over the past seven years.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I remember there being an article back in 2002 talking about Jim Bowden wanting Dunn to start pulling the ball more in order to hit for more power. I thought it was foolish at the time because Dunn was still hitting for power and was hitting up in the .310-.320 range with an OBP in the .460 area and an OPS over 1.000, yet Bowden wanted him to pull the ball more. That doesn't surprise me though considering how awful of a GM Bowden is/was. Dunn was never that same hitter after that. All those different hitting coaches didn't help matters either.

IIRC there was an article when both were still in the minors predicting future status of the top minor league players. Dunn was predicted as a future HOF and Kearns as a potental All Star and an everyday player in the bigs. It is interesting to look now 8 years later and see where each player stands.

Kearns is a fringe everyday outfielder. If he weren't playing for Jimbo he would have bounced around the league for the past year +.

Dunn on the other hand, if healthy, will put up HOF HR numbers. It will be interesting to see if Dunn hits 500, 550, 600 how people will fell about him.

Turn Off Ads?