Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: **The moves you would make for 2009**

Re: **The moves you would make for 2009**

Fire Dusty would be a good start

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    I had thought about adding a Burrell, Sheets, or Sabathia earlier in the year but after seeing this team for almost a whole season, its obvious that it has too many holes to put that much money into one player.

With what I proposed above a line up that would look like this would be pretty ok:

Dickerson CF
    Hudson 2B
    Bruce RF
    Edwin 3B
    Votto 1B
    Phillips SS
    Rivera LF
    Hanigan C
    Pitcher

OR

Furcal SS
    Phillips 2b
    Bruce RF
    Edwin 3B
    Votto 1B
    Rivera LF
    Dickerson CF
    Hanigan C
    Pitcher

I think with the young guys progressing that those could be some pretty good lineups.
    I'm with you. I like the direction of our rotation and wouldn't shell out the $$$ for Sabathia or Sheets. I wonder what kind of contract Burrell would demand though?

burrell should command a dunn-like contract.. probably 16-18 mil a year..

I think it depends on what you want to do. Do you want to continue to rebuild or try and contend?

Rebuild.

1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    SS Gonzales (Has everyone forgot he's still under contract)
    3B EE
    C Hanigan/?? (Maybe resign Bako as a LH hitting platoon if Hanigan can't cut it full time)
    LF Reviera (FA Signing, agree with Schmitty, he would come fairly cheap with a 1 or 2 year deal)
    CF Dickerson
    RF Bruce.

We will have time to let other OF's develope a half season plus use Freel/Harriston/Hopper as Backups. In NO WAY should Javy or Patterson be on this team. Maybe use Rosales, Janish and Kepp as bench guys. If Dorn, Stubbs, Frazier or whom ever plays there way into the lineup by July, trade Rivera and continue rebuilding. Valaika could play his way to 2B by mid-season then move Phillips to SS and move Gonzales. If you can't move Gonzales, let him go via waivers in August and put in Valaika.

If you want to contend, bring in the best SP you can find or afford, Upgrade your catching if possible (Low on the prioity list as Hanigan is a good defensive C, that should be the priorit for this position) still bring in Rivera for LF, find a good CF, cut Hariston as Dickerson will take his place on the bench.

when i threw out juan rivera everyone thought i was sooo stupid..

If Valentin is our opening day starter at first I may never watch another game.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    when i threw out juan rivera everyone thought i was sooo stupid..
    To be fair, people think you're sooo stupid for a lot of other reasons too.

to be fair.. they are wrong on those fronts as well.. i might be opinionated, but i change my opinion when i realize i am wrong..

Is anyone else for trying to sign Rocco Baldelli? He's a FA this offseason, and if he can stay healthy, he has superstar potential.

He could make a fine hitter near the top of the order.

Quote Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
    Fire Dusty would be a good start

You beat me to it.

This young team needs a firy manager. Not a bonehead manager. I think the young guys have no confidence in Dusty or respect for him.
    Who's on first?

The moves I would make for 2009:

1) Sell my season tickets, if I had them.
    2) Find a more interesting hobby for a few months.

... but seriously folks...

I think the moves that need to be made are to numerous to list, and too numerous to be addressed in a single offseason.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

1) Trade for Brian Roberts and sign him to an extension. Orioles will deal him (last year of deal coming up), and the Cubs want him. Let's swoop in. Would be a great lead off. Move Brandon to SS.

2) Go whole hog after D Lowe. Would be the best FA pitcher for GABP. Will take money. We have some.

3) If these two things can happen, we can live with an outfield of Dickerson/Bruce/Hairston/Freel, and Hannigan+cheap vet behind the dish.

Leadoff solved. Rotation more secure. Defense upgraded (assuming, as I do, that Brandon can play over-average shortstop).

With Masset, Burton, Cordero, Bray... we got the start of a decent 'pen. No world beaters. But I think a LOOGY and another vet arm can be had from free agency to round it out.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    1) Trade for Brian Roberts and sign him to an extension. Orioles will deal him (last year of deal coming up), and the Cubs want him. Let's swoop in. Would be a great lead off. Move Brandon to SS.
    Agree. Good move. Would increase speed on basebaths to fabricate more runs. Roberts hits in the .290 range and steals between 30-50 bases. Between he, Phillips and Hairston (if he stays healthy), the Reds could wreak havoc on the basepaths, and Phillips still has 20-25 HR power.

2) Go whole hog after D Lowe. Would be the best FA pitcher for GABP. Will take money. We have some.
    Again. Agree wholeheartedly. I'm sick of using our minor leagues as the fill-in for the 4th and 5th starters. Plus, I'm worried about Harang.

3) If these two things can happen, we can live with an outfield of Dickerson/Bruce/Hairston/Freel, and Hannigan+cheap vet behind the dish.
    Freel will be traded as soon as he proves he is healthy. More than likely next season. If not, he will only be a fill-in player, as usual. I think everything depends on whether or not the Reds actually make a play for one of the top power and average hitting free agents on the market or trade for someone. I don't think Hairston or Freel can stay healthy enough to be factors for this team. Not convinced about Dickerson yet. We shall see the rest of the season. We need one more player, IMO, to go with Bruce and Dickerson (if he proves himself).

Leadoff solved. Rotation more secure. Defense upgraded (assuming, as I do, that Brandon can play over-average shortstop).
    This obviously leaves Keppinger out of the picture or back on the bench. Unless they move Votto to LF, and put Kepp on 1B.

With Masset, Burton, Cordero, Bray... we got the start of a decent 'pen. No world beaters. But I think a LOOGY and another vet arm can be had from free agency to round it out.
    I'd trade Bray while his value is high. His career WHIP (including this season's WHIP) really concern me and make me think he is getting by right now.
    Who's on first?

Bleeding Red in the South

I'd rather build this team on defense and pitching. So to me, moving Votto to LF isn't a good idea. Keep him at first (where he isn't great, but is improving).

If Stubbs shows anything in AAA the last few months, give him a shot in ST to win the CF job. From all accounts he's a gold glove CF talent. Same with Dickerson at the ML level. Except he's probably a notch below Drew in the defense department.

Move Brandon to SS. At one point he was considered a superior defensive prospect at SS, and he's still got the quicks to make it work.

We have some projectible 2b prospects with Valaika, maybe frazier etc. Get one of them up sometime next year, but let Hariston or Kepp keep the position warm until one of them steps up.

Move Frazier to LF ASAP to see if he can play above average defense. If he can, he should be on the fast track to the big team. He's gonna hit in the bigs, we just need to find him a position. As a former SS I can see him having the athleticism to play a good LF (much better than Votto).

Hope and pray that EE gets his head straight and learns to throw to first.

I have no idea what to do about the mess at catcher. Maybe Hannigan shows us something.

C - ?
    1b - Votto
    2b - Hairston (Valiaka towards mid season)
    SS - Phillips
    3b - EdE
    LF - ?
    CF - Stubbs or Dickerson
    RF - Bruce

How about trading Cordero to start? We finally look like we're cleaning up the dead weight salaries, then you look and see we're paying a guy almost ten million for a few innings a year, with only about a 75% success rate as closer, and has imploded several times.

Turn Off Ads?