Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Logan Parker

Logan Parker

He really should be in AA by now. 32 for 93, 8 doubles, and 4 HR at Sarasota for a line of .410/.559./969 in a pitcher's league. I like Stubbs, but if he can get a promotion to AAA in 100 AB, Parker should be able to get one to AA.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Logan Parker

Hes blocked by Tonys Gutierrez
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Hes blocked by Tonys Gutierrez

And shouldn't be. I like that Gutierrez can take a walk, but that's about all he can do.

Seems like he's been in the system for many years now. It's time to see what the younger guys can do.

Gutierrez should be in AAA.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Gutierrez should be in AAA.
    But that would require sending Kevin Barker packing...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Barker should be sent packing. I am so tired of prospects being blocked by journeymen. Barker will be gone at the end of this year. Sned him now and get a jump on next year to see what you got. Waive Mackovic, Barker, Bolivar and Anderson and bring up Henry, Dorn, Guitererez and Valakia. If Stubbs deserved a promotion so does these 4. Then promote Castro, Frazier, Parker and Fransisco. Then move up Soto, Waring, Cozart followed with a few promotions from Billings. Keep the chain moving...

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Barker should be sent packing. I am so tired of prospects being blocked by journeymen. Barker will be gone at the end of this year. Sned him now and get a jump on next year to see what you got. Waive Mackovic, Barker, Bolivar and Anderson and bring up Henry, Dorn, Guitererez and Valakia. If Stubbs deserved a promotion so does these 4. Then promote Castro, Frazier, Parker and Fransisco. Then move up Soto, Waring, Cozart followed with a few promotions from Billings. Keep the chain moving...
    New problem for the Reds. Too many guys who deserve a promotion. Now all those "fill up the roster" types the Reds have been so rich with for years are gumming up the works. Several of them will be gone after the season. You can't just cut a whole bunch of guys in August when they can't find new teams - that's the human equation part. Get a rep as being that calloused and you'd play heck ever getting minor league FAs to play for you and every team needs them to pad rosters.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    New problem for the Reds. Too many guys who deserve a promotion. Now all those "fill up the roster" types the Reds have been so rich with for years are gumming up the works. Several of them will be gone after the season. You can't just cut a whole bunch of guys in August when they can't find new teams - that's the human equation part. Get a rep as being that calloused and you'd play heck ever getting minor league FAs to play for you and every team needs them to pad rosters.
    Good point.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I agree. There are only about three weeks left in the minor-league season anyway, so a bump at this point isn't going to change anyone's timetable for arrival in Cincinnati. Some shuffling will always be needed to cover for injuries etc. but otherwise, let 'em go into the offseason on a "I'm kicking butt" high.
    Not all who wander are lost

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I agree. There are only about three weeks left in the minor-league season anyway, so a bump at this point isn't going to change anyone's timetable for arrival in Cincinnati. Some shuffling will always be needed to cover for injuries etc. but otherwise, let 'em go into the offseason on a "I'm kicking butt" high.
    That and with incentive to be just as excited going into next season with promotions to start the season. Good point IR.

BTW Outstanding point RLJ one thing people easily overlook here is the human equation, I myself am guilty of that at times.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I suppose the question then becomes do you think any purpose is served by Parker killing High-A pitchers. I would like to see what he could do against AA pitching, even if it's only for 3 weeks.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 08-14-2008 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I suppose the question then becomes do you think any purpose is served by Parker killing High-A pitchers. I would like to see what he could do against AA pitching, even if it's only for 3 weeks.
    I think teams feel it is an advantage to have some veterans on minor league teams, particularly AAA. Not only are they, perhaps, readier to step in as a major league fill-in, but also they provide experience from which young prospects can learn.

Over the last month or two, the AAA team has had far fewer "journeymen" than I can remember.

Under Jocketty the prospects have moved up very quickly. There are a number of AA guys (Valaika, Turner, Gutierrez, Henry, maybe Viola) who will likely start next year at AAA. And the key AA guys (Frazier, Francisco, Parker) will almost certainly be at AA.

Nothing to complain about, lots of promotions.

Philosophy aside, its becoming pretty obvious that what Parker is doing this year is fairly noteworthy. After starting the year injured, Parker put up .267/.347/.492/.839 at Dayton in about 220 PA. Upon promotion to Sarasota, where most hitters see a significant drop in their stats, he's mashed to the tune of .351/.413/.598/1.011 in about 110 PA (small sample I know). Combined he has a line of .295/.369/.527/.896 in about 330 PAs in 2008. He has 22 doubles, 14 HRs and 34 BBs in 80 games. He's a LH bat who is age 24 and needs to move a little more quickly. He's a serious prospect IMO.

Parker's performance is one of many reasons why the thought of moving Joey Votto to LF permanently is making more and more sense. Alonso is the obvious future at 1B and the team has guys like Todd Frazier, Daniel Dorn, Juan Francisco and Brandon Waring who may be better served playing 1B as well (not to mention Edwin Encarnacion). Add that Adam Rosales and Tonys Gutierrez (.406 OBP in about 440 PAs in AA) look like bench players who could spend some time there, and the team may be best served moving Votto to LF (or trading him). Personally, I'd let Guttierrez and Rosales play the Hatte and Aurilia roles next year if I had to if a stopgap can't be found while waiting for Yonder. I'd stick Frazier on 3B and leave him there and I'd shop Francisco and his HR titles and youth (and awful plate discipline) in a package for another starting pitcher, a catcher or a SS of the future (though I'm higher on Cozart). Waring, Parker, Soto and maybe Dorn provide plenty of organizational depth at the Corner IF spots IMO.

Any thoughts on Parker as a prospect? I think he's a sleeper.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-17-2008 at 08:48 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    from his draft position, lack of press, and slow rate of promotion, my guess is that he doesn't have good bat speed. but I've never seen him play.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I agree completely. I'm not predicting a future All-Star or anything, but often times, you see solid players drop to the middle rounds in the draft because they don't play prime positions, and I think that's what happened to Parker.

At the time of the draft, I think the reports were that he was pretty athletic for a first baseman but that he would need to develop more power to be Major League contributor. At 6'3", you kind of had to figure he would develop some power eventually, and that's typical of the Reds lately. Instead of acquiring bench-players-at-best-but-good-chance-of-reaching-their-potential (O'Brien era) and rocket-high-ceilings-but-need-a-miracle-to-reach-it (Bowden era), they've been getting guys with realistic ceilings who just need time to develop. It hasn't always worked out, but Parker might be one of the next ones who do.

Turn Off Ads?