Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Who would you like to see the Reds acquire to play shortstop in 2009?

Re: Who would you like to see the Reds acquire to play shortstop in 2009?

Rafael Furcal, Edgar Renteria and Omar Vizquel all filed for free agency yesterday.

Probably because I liked him so much during his Cleveland stint, but I could see the Reds signing Vizquel to a 1 yr. deal as a backup to Gonzalez. Still has the leather, but his offense has declined. He did go .344/.397/.443/.840 in 61 September ABs though.

Having said that, I would expect Jocketty to take measures to find out definitively if Gonzalez is going to be able to play in 2009 over this off-season. The Reds just can't go into spring training with him being a major question mark and no backup beyond Keppinger. Well, they can, but it would be a foolish thing.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Having said that, I would expect Jocketty to take measures to find out definitively if Gonzalez is going to be able to play in 2009 over this off-season. The Reds just can't go into spring training with him being a major question mark and no backup beyond Keppinger. Well, they can, but it would be a foolish thing.

That's going to be easier said than done. Is he just going to have to take Gonzo's word that he'll be able to play 150 games in 09? This injury may be something that gets worse as the season goes on. Speaking like a cynic, Gonzo's got over 5 million reasons not to retire. If he plays winter ball and the Reds find out that he can't hack it, is it going to be too late to get someone like Furcal, Vizquel or Renteria?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I would inquire with the Rockies to see if one of Tulo or Clint Barmes is available...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I would inquire with the Rockies to see if one of Tulo or Clint Barmes is available...
    Barmes could probably be had. No way they deal Tulo.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Barmes could probably be had. No way they deal Tulo.
    I didn't realize Barmes was a good fielder. He would be my target du jour right now...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I didn't realize Barmes was a good fielder. He would be my target du jour right now...
    Fielding Bible had him as the second best SS in baseball in 2006 and the 8th best second baseman in 2008. He can definitely play defense. He's another one with pretty extreme H/R splits though.

Barmes is kind of like Phillips lite....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That's going to be easier said than done. Is he just going to have to take Gonzo's word that he'll be able to play 150 games in 09? This injury may be something that gets worse as the season goes on. Speaking like a cynic, Gonzo's got over 5 million reasons not to retire. If he plays winter ball and the Reds find out that he can't hack it, is it going to be too late to get someone like Furcal, Vizquel or Renteria?
    Oh, I know, it will be a difficult thing to find out. And you're right, there are a lot of reasons for Gonzalez to play his cards close to the vest. But he does get paid no matter what for 2009. How much he cooperates to determine his playing status for next year is anyone's guess. And he probably doesn't know either.

I guess that's all why they pay WJ the big bucks. I just hope he appropriately mitigates the Reds' 2009 SS risk.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Barmes is kind of like Phillips lite....
    And thats such a bad thing?

I think Barmes would be a good target. He was on his way to ROY before he was injured doing something with Helton involving hunting/4 wheeling. Even if he is Phillips light he would provide a heck of an up the middle defensive combo. Combine that with Dickerson in CF and the Reds would be quite a bit better defensively than they were last year. Because Barmes is blocked by Tulo he could be had for cheaper. I wouldn't be too worried about H/R splits because I don't think there would be much of a drop off between Coors and GABP.

Barmes isn't really being blocked by Tulo. He's likely to be their starting second baseman next year.

Turn Off Ads?