Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stark/Baseball officials: "There's no way they would've offered Dunn arbitration"

Re: Stark/Baseball officials: "There's no way they would've offered Dunn arbitration"

Stark, in pursuit of a "story," probably asked J.P. Ricciardi.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stark/Baseball officials: "There's no way they would've offered Dunn arbitration"

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    And that would be bad for the Reds how, exactly?
    Because Cincy doesn't want him around at the price he costs.

Dusty would try to pass off blame for a poor season to someone else? Gasp!

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'm glad Stark brings this up. I'm sure this was covered in other threads, but since I wasn't around/online around the time this happened, I'll take this opportunity to say I can't believe Baker would pull this kind of BS. Very, very disappointing, and he drops several more notches in my estimation. He's the onfield leader, yet he goes and throws seemingly the whole squad under the bus while taking zero responsibility for the team's poor performance. I supported this guy strongly at the outset, and I've never really bashed any Reds manager, but I gotta say I hope the powers that be are looking at the manager position as one that could be upgraded.
    This is EXACTLY what led to the end in Chicago. He was allergic to accepting responsibility for his role in the meltdown. It was Lee's fault for getting hurt. It was Sosa's fault for losing bat speed and developing a temper. It was Prior and Wood's fault for their problems. And it was Hendry's fault for not fixing it. His act got old and he was run out of town. Yes, that's a gross simplification, but this is one of the primary Dusty issues pointed out when he was hired. He's not a guy to help guide the franchise through rough times.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Whoever.......but just remember that whoever is in control, or whoever's stamp wwe are talking about.....this organization DFA'ed David Ross but Corey Patterson still starts most every day.

Judgement?

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Because he could make more (possibly) than as a FA. Many GMs are sour on him.
    How so?

3-5 years is greater than 1 year. Adam Dunn is in his prime. What could he possibly gain in signing for one year and then doing 2008 all over again?

Plus, I'm not sold that GM's have soured on him. They didn't sour on Carlos Lee. Besides, all it takes is one GM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I'm not sold that GM's have soured on him. They didn't sour on Carlos Lee.
    Carlos Lee is a much better player than Dunn.

I think it's more accurate to say some GM's are sour on him, not many. I think there are a number of teams (and I think we calculated about a third of them in another discussion before the trade) who might have an interest in Dunn.

Yes, it's possible he may have accepted arbitration, but I still believe there will be a market out there for Adam Dunn.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    In what category? Batting average?
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 08-14-2008 at 05:18 PM.

All dyslexics must untie!

I agree. Ducks on the pond? CL drives 'em in. TPerez with more pop
    Never overlook the obvious

Nonsense.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

As far as why would he take Arb. He probably would get 15-16 milion minimum. I think he wanted a long term deal so I would expect him to go free agent, but if he liked the reds, teamates, etc. he might have said lets give it one more year, but I bet he would have asked around 1st to see what the market is like before he accepted. It's all a mute point now. I'd say we probably did ok on the the trade. If you get better then two draft picks your ok and heck, the money the 1st round picks want these days at least you know more of what you got in the traded players.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Define "many"...is more than the one north of the border?
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    I agree. Ducks on the pond? CL drives 'em in. TPerez with more pop
    And Lee has a career .344 OBP. I know it's not the be-all, end-all of stats, but Dunn has 50 points of OPS on Lee. That's a not insignificant difference. I can see arguments suggesting they're comparable, but suggesting Lee is "much better" is a real big stretch. It's not like Lee is a great defender or a terror on the basepaths.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    I agree. Ducks on the pond? CL drives 'em in.
    yup, pitchers don't like seeing Lee come up with men on base and game on line. They wish that he were a guy like Adam Dunn instead.

Turn Off Ads?