Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wilkin Castillo is the 3rd PTBNL (Via Fay)

Wilkin Castillo is the 3rd PTBNL (Via Fay)

Wilkin Castillo, a catcher, is one of the players-to-be-named in the Adam Dunn deal. He's listed as a catcher, but he's played third base, shortstop and outfield.

He turned 24 in June. He's hitting .254 with six home runs and 47 RBI with Triple-A Tuscon. He's a switch hitter.
    From Fay. Not impressed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wilkin Castillo is the 3rd PTBNL (Via Fay)

It sounds like he's athletic. I just wonder why original articles said there were three pitchers coming back.

Looks like WJ got his new Yadier Molina
    low BB's, low K's, low power numbers, good defender...and it seems that Yadier started improving getting on base last year with a .340 OBP and this year has seemed to put it all together batting over .300 with a .348 OBP all the while with low power numbers, but good defense

I am very impressed with the haul Walt has gotten

Owens, Castillo, Buck is a very good high risk/high reward potential return

how often do you hear of a catcher who can play SS in a pinch

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    how often do you hear of a catcher who can play SS in a pinch
    His name was Craig Biggio. He never played short, but I'm sure he could have if needed.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I am liking the deal. It'll be nice to have what sounds to be a very athletic player at a typically non athletic position. It'll be a far cry from this year when we have 2 or 3 athletic players.

I like the deal also. To get three players, two which are close to the major leagues, for Dunn is pretty good, considering some folks only wanted a rosin bag and a dozen baseballs.

Castillo had good numbers in AA and if he can put the numbers at the amjor league level that he has put up at AAA this year, that's better than any catcher we have.

Plus, with his versatility we are not confined to just playing him behind the plate.

Owings is the one that I am excited about. Not just pitching, but his bat.

Buck, is a wait and see, but his another arm.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Not bad. Would have preferred Whitesell or another arm but I like this return a lot. Kudos to WJ. Just hope Owings' arm is okay.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

This is a good pickup and really should benefit the Reds. One, we'll have a good defensive catcher for what has seemed like an eternity (or since LaRue which is basically the same). Secondly, we can kick both Valentin and Bako to the curb where they belong.

A Hanigan/Castillo catching duo certainly won't come up big offensively or start any ASG, but they both bring good defense, and that's all I'm concerned about with in catching.

curious to see what dback people think about this

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Don't know a thing about Castillo, but to get what we got for 2 months of Dunn is amazing.

If Castillo can play SS, i bet he has an absolute gun behind the plate

I'm liking this piece as well. The guy can't hit a lick, but we can hope his defense makes up for that at the moment and he can improve the offense enough for a backup/platoon role.

So next year we could be looking at a Dickerson/Stubbs platoon in CF and a Hanigan/Castillo platoon behind the plate. Lots of D and not much firepower. But they're all fairly young and should get plenty of at bats to prove themselves. Walt's plan is beginning to take shape already...

I like the fact the he is strong defensively. I also like the fact that he is from the DR, I think he would work well with JC and EV.

A lot better deal than having 2 months of a guy who won't have a future here, or two low draft picks who likely wouldn't have been any better and we would have had to pay a lot more. Hopefully this guy can help Louisville win the Triple A crown.

Turn Off Ads?