Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another late-rounder, Matt Fairel, signs

Re: Another late-rounder, Matt Fairel, signs

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Reds bottom fishing for lefties, any lefties at all-- none picked in top 12 rounds, but picked and signed ones late in draft: rounds 13, 19, 34, 35, 41 and 43.

out of top 12 picks in three drafts, only Travis Webb (a no. 8 pick) and Drew Bowman (a no. 5) were selected. Two lefties in 36 picks.

Results: no lefties in organization
    Maybe the Reds haven't invested heavily in left-handers because they haven't needed to.

Blaine Howell (13th round) has a 1.35 ERA this year and is looking very good.

Mace Thurman (19th round) signed for above slot money and has already been promoted to A-ball after completely dominating at Billings.

Bryan Gardner (34th round) isn't exactly blowing people away, but he has a respectable 4.50 ERA and 18 strikeouts over 18 innings in the GCL.

Matt Fairel (35th round) just signed for above slot money, and we've yet to see what he can do.

David Torcise (47th round) has a 1.71 ERA and 1.10 WHIP over 21 innings this year.

Joe Krebs (14th round), who has 49 strikeouts in 40 innings this year, was drafted last year and is already in Sarasota.

Shea Snowden (16th round) has been the GCL Reds' best pitcher with a 1.50 ERA and 1.06 WHIP over 36 innings.

Jeremy Horst (21st round) has been amazing this year with a 1.00 WHIP and 96 strikeouts over 85.2 innings.

Lee Tabor was drafted two years ago in the 30th round and is already in Chattanooga.

Jamie Arneson was a 16th rounder, but he was paid like a 4th rounder, so I wouldn't count him as the Reds not investing in left-handers.

Tzu-Kai Chiu was signed as an amateur free agent (for second round money, iIrc) and has a 3.34 ERA and 1.13 WHIP over 56.2 professional innings.

Matteo Pizziconi was signed out of Italy last year and has given up only one earned run over 17.2 innings.

Luca Panerati, also out of Italy, has a 1.50 ERA and 1.00 WHIP over 12 innings.

Aguido Gonzalez was signed just last year and all he has done this year is throw 30 innings without giving up an earned run.

2. Turn Off Ads?

By the way, four of the five Reds' starters in Chattanooga are left-handed (Ben Jukich, Travis Wood, Pedro Viola, and Camilo Vazquez). The Reds also have two left-handers in the Sarasota bullpen in Phil Valiquette and Steve Otterness. Ty Pelland, Matt Maloney, Adam Pettyjohn, and Danny Herrera are in Louisville. Alex Smit is playing in the Olympics, but he is left-handed, too. And I still haven't even mentioned all the left-handers in the organization.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 08-15-2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: I listed Terrell Young as a lefty.

Terrell Young is right handed.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Terrell Young is right handed.
    Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    By the way, four of the five Reds' starters in Chattanooga are left-handed (Ben Jukich, Travis Wood, Pedro Viola, and Camilo Vazquez). The Reds also have three left-handers in the Sarasota bullpen in Phil Valiquette, Terrell Young, and Steve Otterness. Ty Pelland, Matt Maloney, Adam Pettyjohn, and Danny Herrera are in Louisville. Alex Smit is playing in the Olympics, but he is left-handed, too. And I still haven't even mentioned all the left-handers in the organization.
    in this organization, Maloney and Herrerra might be it. And they were acquisitions.

if another turns out to be effective against major league lefties, we'll be fortunate.

Resident PED Expert

now here comes the interesting part... Now that we are getting more flush with talent... Where do we put them all? I mean look at the starting rotation candidates for Dayton next year:

Lotzkar
    Castro
    Astorga
    Janke
    Shunick
    Garcia
    Arneson
    Ravin - who could be gone
    Bowman
    Guerrero - Ditto
    Hildenbrandt
    Snowden
    Fairel
    Sulbaran
    Chiu
    Cline

Not to mention the guys still in the Dominican like De La Rosa, Machuca, Marizan, Correa (If he comes back from his 50 gamer still a red), and Aquino who better be in Dayton next year. I bet there still is 4 or 5 more possibles that I left off.

I mean 3 years ago it was Bailey - Cueto and ... We are filthy rich in pitching in the low minors. 5 years ago if our #1 pitching prospect hurt himself it was like oh no. Wait til the next draft to get a pitcher.

The guys in A+ and AA better find their stride cause a truckload of pitching is developing. Guys won't be given 2 and 3 years to develop at the A or A+ ball level anymore. Find that relese point or be released.

There is no way Cline and Sulbaran will begin next season in Dayton. Look for both to start with the GCL Reds.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

There is no way Josh Ravin will be gone next year. None. Kid throws upper 90's at times and he is 20 years old. Switch to the bullpen? Maybe. Gone? No chance.

Resident PED Expert

Ravin does have a great arm no doubt. But in 3 years hasn't even shown the slightest improvement in control in 3 years. it's one thing to throw 95+ but you actually have to throw with control.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    We are filthy rich in pitching in the low minors.
    I wouldn't say that.

more, "we are filthy rich in minor pitchers"

more, "we are filthy rich in minor pitchers"
    I agree, if I get your drift. System isn't barren by any means, just no real exciting arms that profile as starters.

On the other hand, it looks like they should be able to build pretty cheap bullpens for awhile.

Ok sorry to stray away from the pessimism, but OBM and Doug, what does Fairel throw?
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I agree, if I get your drift. System isn't barren by any means, just no real exciting arms that profile as starters.

On the other hand, it looks like they should be able to build pretty cheap bullpens for awhile.
    Kidding, right? Kyle Lotzkar? Evan Hildenbrandt?
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post

I agree for the most part, but Lotzkar and Hildenbrandt excite me. Especially Lotzkar. I think he's got a chance to be a special pitcher someday.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Kidding, right? Kyle Lotzkar? Evan Hildenbrandt?
    The last report I could find on him is two years old but it says he throws 87-89 and mixes in a quality breaking ball and changeup.

Turn Off Ads?