Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dickerson Speechless, Reds Sign 30th Pick

Dickerson Speechless, Reds Sign 30th Pick

From Fay's blog:

Posted by JohnFay at 8/14/2008 7:53 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Chris Dickerson was speechless afterward.

He went 3-for-5 with two doubles and a triple. He drove in the go-ahead run and scored the insurance run.

"I just felt really compfortable," he siad. "I got the jitters out."

All four of hit hits are for extra bases.

"Good placement," he said.

Johnny Cueto went five innings, allowing one run on four hits, walked three and struck out seven. Cueto was lifted for a pinch-hit hitter in the sixth. And, in a roundabout way, the Reds got him the lead. It was hit first win since July 3.

Cueto gave up one in the first. He gave up back-to-back hits to start the inning, struck out the next two swinging, then gave up a bloop RBI single to Andy LaRoche.

Javy Valentin tied it in the second with his second home run in as many starts. I think if Valentin played every day, he'd hit.

Bad third for the Reds: Chris Dickerson led off with a double. Jeff Keppinger got him to third with a groundout. But Jay Bruce struck out with the infield in. Brandon Phillips and Valentin walked. Edwin Encarnacion grounded out on the first pitch. He's 1-for-13 with the bases loaded this year. He was 18-for-37 coming into this year. He hit .360 with runners in scoring position last year. This year, he's hitting .213.

Corey Patterson led off the sixth with a double. He went to third on Paul Bako's groundout. The reds sent Andy Phillips up to hit for Cueto. Phillips hit a grounder to third. But Patterson broke on contact. He was caught in a rundown. Phillips managed to get to second. Dickerson eased the pain of the blunder, but doubling Phillips in. It was Dickerson's first career RBI.

Dickerson tripled in the ninth and scored on Jeff Keppinger's squeeze.

A bit of news from Baseball America:

A source has confirmed that the Reds will finalize a contract with 30th-round pick Juan Carlos Sulbaran on Thursday. Sulbaran, a righthander from American Heritage High in Plantation, Fla., will receive a $500,000 bonus and bypass a commitment to Florida.

Sulbaran was born in Curacao and is currently playing for the Dutch Olympic team in Beijing. He secured that spot with a strong performance against Cuba’s Olympic team at Haarlem Baseball Week last month, allowing one run over seven innings while striking out six. The projectable 6-foot-3 righthander already runs his fastball into the low 90s with minimal effort and pitches from a good downhill plane. His curveball and changeup also project as average or better pitches.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dickerson Speechless, Reds Sign 30th Pick

I like Dickerson, irregardless of his first nights of production, and hope he gets a nod in some capacity in the 2009 OF (either as a starting CF between Bruce and a RHH sledge hammer LF acquisition), or as our 4th OF.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

He should have been up here a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I like Dickerson, irregardless of his first nights of production, and hope he gets a nod in some capacity in the 2009 OF (either as a starting CF between Bruce and a RHH sledge hammer LF acquisition), or as our 4th OF.
    Absolutely agree. Players like Chris are simply what this team needs. Speed, smarts, and fielding is the definition of a good bench player. Not saying he doesn't deserve to start or play a lot, but he is valuable for that. Much better than what we've had over the last few years.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    How about we fire up the DeLorean, rev it up to 88 MPH, and go back and get Kevin Mitchell for LF?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    How about we fire up the DeLorean, rev it up to 88 MPH, and go back and get Kevin Mitchell for LF?
    If we are going to go back to the 80s to get someone can we just bring back the original 44 (ok, not the original, but you know who I mean)?

Kevin Mitchell was an awesome hitter. I really enjoyed watching him. Injuries could have kept him from the Hall of Fame.

And not only did the Reds sign their 30th round pick, they also signed their 35th round pick with 4th round pick money. The Reds are continuing to show that they're willing to sign players at above-slot money, and MLB can't be too happy about that.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Absolutely agree. Players like Chris are simply what this team needs. Speed, smarts, and fielding is the definition of a good bench player. Not saying he doesn't deserve to start or play a lot, but he is valuable for that. Much better than what we've had over the last few years.
    But his OPS should define his value , seriously I wish him well and if he can prevent 30 hits or runs a yr and can give decent 270 production and a .OpS of around 345. He will be a true addition and welcome sight to the former challenged of we have run out. Oh and please show Corey Patterson the door. He is to expensive for his truly useless skillset.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    But his OPS should define his value , seriously I wish him well and if he can prevent 30 hits or runs a yr and can give decent 270 production and a .OpS of around 345. He will be a true addition and welcome sight to the former challenged of we have run out. Oh and please show Corey Patterson the door. He is to expensive for his truly useless skillset.
    What do you mean by 270 production and .OpS of 345?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What do you mean by 270 production and .OpS of 345?
    He has to mean .270 BA and .345 OBP

.345 OPS is Corey Patterson.

If Chris can OPS over .700 I'm fine with him in CF. That's my Mendoza line for CF. Anything less and he's a bigger drag than defense can compensate for. Anything more increases his value tremendously.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    He has to mean .270 BA and .345 OBP

.345 OPS is Corey Patterson.

If Chris can OPS over .700 I'm fine with him in CF. That's my Mendoza line for CF. Anything less and he's a bigger drag than defense can compensate for. Anything more increases his value tremendously.
    CP is OPSing a caliente .576.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    If Chris can OPS over .700 I'm fine with him in CF.
    didn't hit lefties much in the minors, and it'll be worse up here.

but pair him with Stubbs, and you might have something.

I am curious why the 30th round pick is getting any ink at all?

Isn't this out of the norm??

Isn't $500,000 an awful lot of money to pay a 30th round pick?

Why haven't picks #2 to #29 been as publicized??
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

Yeah, that sort of money is 4th round money. Likely situation is that he's a Junior and everybody expected him to go back to school, so he slipped big time. The Reds took a flier on him and the trades freed up some cash. This sort of thing is an extremely underrated part of building an organization in my estimation. What if we consider that he came over as part of the Griffey deal? Makes it look a lot better...
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 08-15-2008 at 11:33 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

Based on the past couple years, I'd say $500,000 is second round money. The Reds must really like the guy because he demanded second round money, and the Reds supposedly weren't willing to go higher than third round money. It looks the Reds were willing to bend more to get him signed.

Turn Off Ads?