Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Expertise

Re: Expertise

Golf - playing and teaching
    Beer - not your crappy light beers. Real, good beer.
    Coffee
    Buffalo Wings - Hooter's wings are the worst by far
    Cheeseburgers
    Driving Long Trips
    Booking Hotel Rooms
    Watching 3 shows at one time with one remote
    Cooking Blackened Salmon on a cedar plank
    B****ing at poorly-timed traffic lights
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    In what would you consider yourself an "expert"? Obviously, we are all Reds and baseball experts. We all know everything there is to know about baseball, so don't claim that. It can be anything, whether it is useful or not (just look at my list).
    Here is my list:
    -Latin (Spoken word or Written word)
    -Coffee
    -RPG/Zelda games
    -The NBA
    -Cheap Restaurants
    -Channel Surfing
    -Befriending foreigners (my friends list includes people from every continent in large quantities)
    Cool, I took Latin a few years ago during my freshman and soph years at Moeller high school.

As for my expertises:
    -MLB
    -NBA
    -NFL
    -Fantasy Sports
    -Bowling
    -High School Football (Mostly Ohio)
    -High School Basketball
    -Everything Rivals, all high school recruits for basketball and football. I'm looking forward to Rivals upping there game and adding Baseball to the mix (they experimented with it this year).
    -Cornhole
    -Croquet
    -Texting
    -Call of Duty 4

other than MLB/Reds...

basketball
    terrorism & homeland security
    fantasy sports
    chuck norris
    computers (operation not necessarily maintenance)
    eating white castle cheeseburgers
    retail
    making babies

pancakes
    Last edited by Raisor; 08-15-2008 at 11:57 PM.

MLB cap logos and styles, 1940 - present.

Old cartoons (Warner and MGM) and musicals (all studios). I have lots of tapes and books on the subjects.

I'm also pretty good at identifying 1960s pop/rock songs after the first few bars - but lousy at the trivia games.

Researching (any kind) whether it be on the computer or a book (got lots of them). The Best? Computer: Google and Wiki. Books: NY Public Library Desk Reference and Farmer's Almanac. Pocket Books: Webster's Handbook of Practical Information (purchased in 1987) and Webster's Dictionary (purchased in 1970) both of which I still keep in my briefcase.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    - but lousy at the trivia games.

When I go out for trivia night at resturants and bars, I never have to pay for dinner. I am the KING of useless trivia.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    basketball
    terrorism & homeland security
    Here is some analysis you gave on the Celtics early last season. Pure genius. I highlighted my favorite parts. LMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Starter: K. Perkins (NOT a starter to begin with)
    Starter: KG (we all know how good he is, its no secret)

Coming off the bench:

Brian Scalabrine - just 6'9" and not with a big body either, not much of a rebounder, shot blcoker, or really anything you want in a big (plus he has red hair)

Glen Davis - he is a rookie with really limited potential, fat, and if he ever does become something I doubt it begins this season

Scot Pollard - you said he is an emergency but it is an emergency when you are running out Scalabrine and Davis. Doesn't play much like you said, but 6-7 minutes a game is 6-7 minutes too many.

Leon Powe - doesn't belong on an NBA roster

Obviously if any teams best players get injured, they will really be hurting, but even if Perkins who really shouldn't be a starter, or even Scalabrine goes down, Boston will really be hurting.

And you keep taking away the Knicks 6th man and say that their bench sucks. Okay, minus Posey and the rest of the bench would make for a mediocre D-league team.

The Celtics have no depth at positions they are weak at. I love Rondo to death and he has done a pretty good job, but I think you still need a decent back up in case he struggles. Eddie House? OK, he is a bench player, but I'm not so sure he would be able to platoon or start a few games here and there (minor, nagging injuries, etc.) You have Ray Allen who is getting up there in the age department, and his back up just came off knee surgery. You are fine at SF with Pierce and Posey. KG and anyone on the planet would make for an OK PF rotation. At center you have a guy who shouldn't be starting followed by guys who shouldn't be on NBA rosters.

It's very simple and I'm not sure why you are in denial about it.
    Based on this I pray that if you work for Homeland Security that your checks are signed by someone from the Taliban.

Yeah, MR, THAT was really necessary. Hopefully, that gets you antoher "vacation".
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Curling
    NHL
    NHL 94 on SNES
    Mario Kart
    5 Pin Bowling
    Seinfeld trivia
    Fantasy Sports (especially hockey)

I've got my ordering down pat at Starbucks.

So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Here is some analysis you gave on the Celtics early last season. Pure genius. I highlighted my favorite parts. LMAO.

Based on this I pray that if you work for Homeland Security that your checks are signed by someone from the Taliban.
    Glen Davis 2.3 PPG 1.5 RPG
    Brian Scalabrine 1.8 PPG 1.6 RPG
    Powe put up decent stats for a spark off the bench although only played 56 games... Perkins posted 6/6 which is nothing to write home about.

I'm missing the part where my prediction was ridiculous? Not to mention 90% of sports writers shared the same thoughts questioning their depth. Besides, I already said I was wrong when they won the championship.

If you'd like to debate homeland security, that is fine by me. Or I can start throwing shots your way all the time. What exactly is it that you do, sir? Besides harassing people on message boards and being a general nuisance?

I think we all have figured out what your "expertise" is...

Debate homeland security? Gee, sounds fun. I just thought it was funny that you list yourself as a basketball expert when you were so off on the team that won the title. Who cares what sportswriters have to say? They aren't experts either, just people who have a grasp of the language. You don't get a job working for the NY Times if know who won the Super Bowl in 1979.

You don't see how your post is ridiculous? Other than predicting that Brian Scalabrine (a man who spent the play-offs in street clothes due to the depth on the team) would be his normal sucky self, what did you say that wasn't ridiculous? Leon Powe ate the Lakers for lunch and you say he doesn't even belong in the NBA. Kendrick Perkins, despite what his "averages" were is a decent NBA starting center (a lot better than Jamal Magloirre I might add). You were making allegations about James Posey's attitude when it was Posey who was the glue that held the team together. There were NO attitude problems. All this from an "expert"?

Put yourself in my shoes TS. Imagine if I gave you a bunch of fluff about one of your teams, just kept saying negative thing after negative thing and then your team won the title. What would you say if I then came on and claimed to be an "expert" on that particular sport? You'd just let it go?

Or I can start throwing shots your way all the time.
    Hey, if I have said something numb and then claimed to be an expert on the subject, feel free to come at me with the gloves off. Unlike some people I can handle it and will respond without making idle threats.

MWM, still upset about Tebow, eh?

"He won't win, he is a sophomore, touchdowns don't matter".
    Last edited by MaineRed; 08-17-2008 at 06:13 AM.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Sarcasm.
    Procrastinating.
    Military FPS video games(I'm not too great at games like Halo).
    Sports gambling(ok, maybe not an expert, but I haven't lost my house yet ).
    List making.
    Driving while eating/drinking/talking on a cell phone.
    Fantasy basketball. The other sports, not so much.
    And while I'm not so proud of this one, lying. I'm a great liar.

Let's get back on topic, people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?