Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Expertise

Re: Expertise

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    That was me at age 12 as well. I can still rattle off who played who, and who won, each World Series from 1903 through 2007, but I'm really much better at baseball trivia from the 1967-78 era than I am with what has occurred in the last 30 years.
    The funny thing is I have an absolute horrible sense of direction. I have lived in Indianapolis my whole life and still to this day I get lost going places around here. My parents and wife will often joke that I don't know where such and such a place is but I do know who was in the 1922 WS.

I have always been pretty good at trivia. Years ago before "Bob and Tom" went national they used to have a sports trivia call in contest and I won so many times it was unreal. Between "Bob and Tom" and other local sports shows that had trivia I won enough prizes that I never had to actually buy anyone Christmas or Bday presents ever again.

Just dont ever ask me for directions.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I do know who was in the 1922 WS.
    John McGraw's New York Giants defeated Babe Ruth and the New York Yankees. I believe the series went five games, as one game was a tie, ending in darkness. Otherwise, the Giants romped in McGraw's last World Series championship. The 1921-22 Giants are one of only three NL teams to win consecutive World Series. The other teams to do it were the 1907-08 Chicago Cubs, who defeated the Detroit Tigers and Ty Cobb each year, and of course the 1975-76 Reds, who defeated the Red Sox and the Yankees.
    I cannot recall the score of even a single game in the 2007 World Series, but I can remember the score of every World Series game in 1975 and 1976. In '75, the scores were 0-6, 3-2, 6-5, 4-5, 6-2, 6-7, 4-3. In '76 the scores were 5-1, 4-3, 6-2 and 7-2.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

John McGraw's New York Giants defeated Babe Ruth and the New York Yankees. I believe the series went five games, as one game was a tie, ending in darkness. Otherwise, the Giants romped in McGraw's last World Series championship. The 1921-22 Giants are one of only three NL teams to win consecutive World Series. The other teams to do it were the 1907-08 Chicago Cubs, who defeated the Detroit Tigers and Ty Cobb each year, and of course the 1975-76 Reds, who defeated the Red Sox and the Yankees.
    I cannot recall the score of even a single game in the 2007 World Series, but I can remember the score of every World Series game in 1975 and 1976. In '75, the scores were 0-6, 3-2, 6-5, 4-5, 6-2, 6-7, 4-3. In '76 the scores were 5-1, 4-3, 6-2 and 7-2.
    WOW

You are much better than me!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Nope... I'm enjoying it immensely myself.

Me?

I'm an expert in pissing my wife off.

Everything pales in comparison to that skill set.
    pissing my wife AND kids off.

it's more an art form than anything else.

Everything else? I learn something new every day.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Nope... I'm enjoying it immensely myself.

Me?

I'm an expert in pissing my wife off.

Everything pales in comparison to that skill set.
    And just how does that skill make you any different than any other married man?
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Am I the only one getting a chuckle out of the folks responding with laundry lists of 15 topics of which they are "expert" ?
    Are you implying that I am not indeed proficient in an impressive multitude of tasks? HMPH!!!

I've thought of a couple of things that I think I know a lot about, but for each thing I can think of people who know much more than I on that subject. So I guess nothing. Is it possible to be an "expert" on something at the age of 26? Probably, I'm sure I'm just behind.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

SNL from 1982-present

Mr. Show

Kids in the Hall

X-men
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

7-0, 5-4, 8-3, 2-1

Those kinds of things do tend to stick with you I think, but I wasn't around in the 70's.

I'm an expert in website marketing and social media. And I'd definitely say that's about it, I'm a lot more beginner to intermediate in all of my other interests.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Are you implying that I am not indeed proficient in an impressive multitude of tasks? HMPH!!!
    Oh no. Never. :

I guess it depends on your defintion of "expert".

When I think of "expert" I think nationally renound mastery of a subject. You've written books, given speaches and most everybody in your industry/hobby recognizes you are the go-to guy for info on the subject.

Thats a long shot from profecient or even "really knowledgable".

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    7-0, 5-4, 8-3, 2-1

Those kinds of things do tend to stick with you I think, but I wasn't around in the 70's.

I'm an expert in website marketing and social media. And I'd definitely say that's about it, I'm a lot more beginner to intermediate in all of my other interests.
    While I know that the 1990 Reds swept the A's in 1990, I can't immediately bring the scores of that series to mind. The difference for me is that I grew up rooting for, and idolizing, the members of the 1975-76 Reds, whereas by 1990 I was in my 30's, older than most of the players. I was, and still am, a Reds fan, but not like I was in my youth.
    I'm not really an expert on anything, if by that it is meant that I know more than almost anyone else about a particular subject.
    I do know a lot about my wife and sons, a lot about how to do my job, and a lot of trivia.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Gambling. Poker, billiards, horse racing, sports betting, blackjack, craps, I have spent my whole life trying to beat the odds. More succesful than most, but not enough to make a living.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I would be hesitant to call myself an expert on anything. There are a few things that I know a fair amount about because I read a lot, but I wouldn't call myself an expert. I have an interest in 18th and early 19th century sailing ships, American Revolution through the Napoleonic wars, but I wouldn't call myself an expert. I've just read a lot because of my interest. I'm a decent musician as well. I played in an Irish folk band for a few years and I'm a fairly good singer. Does that make me an expert? I don't think so. Just a bit talented in that area. I can also find my way to just about every major city in the US without a map. Maybe that counts for something.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I gotta agree with ORH, I hesitate to say an expert at anything, I've played the bass since I was 16, but I won't call myself an expert, cause I'm still pushing still learning. I know a lot about WWII and can ID a LOT of airplanes and Helicopters at site and sometimes sound, and while I may be an advanced level C++ programmer I'd hardly call myself expert in any of these... (Ok that last line reminded me of the Sicilian in Princess Bride time to stop typing! )
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    X-men
    really? Who was Jean Grey's roommate just before and after she became the Phoenix, the first time?

god, I need to get out more.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?