Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rollins calls Philly fans front-runners...

Rollins calls Philly fans front-runners...

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news...t-runners.html

Rollins calls Philly fans front-runners

Philadelphia Daily News
    Jimmy Rollins seems to have transitioned into one of those athletes who can make news simply by opening his mouth.

The latest example came yesterday, when Rollins offered his view on Philadelphia's notorious sports fans during yesterday's taping of Fox Sports' "Best Damn Sports Show Period."

After being asked whether Philadelphia was as tough a place to play as the national media sometimes portrays, Rollins answered:

"There are times," he said. "I might catch some flak for saying this, but, you know, they're front-runners. When you're doing good, they're on your side. When you're doing bad, they're completely against you."

Rollins then mentioned the hometown of teammate, and fellow show guest, Ryan Howard as a differently wired fan base.

"For example, Ryan is from St. Louis and St. Louis, it seems like they support their team, they're out there and encouraging. In Philly, can't be no punk."

There is talk that Philly will try and trade him this winter, Rollins is one guy I would definitely try to go get... I would offer Encarnacion, Bailey, and Stubbs for this guy... Phillips and Rollins would be the most exciting double play tandem in baseball... Question is... would Philly do it? and what would it take??? I really think they would ask for one of Bruce, Votto, Cueto, Volquez.. then an Edwin or Bailey...
    Last edited by jesusfan; 08-15-2008 at 06:03 PM.
    "There is a great man who makes every man feel small. But the real great man is the man who makes every man feel great." G.K Charleston

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rollins calls Philly fans front-runners...

You gotta think that any team that would trade with us would want part of Bruce-Cueto-Volquez-Votto, and I would obviously be hesitant to give any of them up. I think the rest of us overvalue guys like Bailey/Edwin/Stubbs. If the Phillies were to get rid of Rollins they would expect a big return, and I don't think we can offer that without giving up one of the big 4. Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to see him in Red. Cincinnati Red that is.

The Reds already have Rollins, except he plays 2nd base for us.

Jimmy Rollins ss
    5 years/$40M (2006-2010), plus $8.5M 2011 club option

* signed extension 6/05
    * $5M signing bonus
    * 06:$4M, 07:$7M, 08:$7M, 09:$7.5M, 10:$7.5M, 11:$8.5M ($2M buyout)

Target players like Rollins prior to them getting expensive, otherwise you end up paying for what they used to do.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The Reds already have Rollins, except he plays 2nd base for us.

Jimmy Rollins ss
    5 years/$40M (2006-2010), plus $8.5M 2011 club option

* signed extension 6/05
    * $5M signing bonus
    * 06:$4M, 07:$7M, 08:$7M, 09:$7.5M, 10:$7.5M, 11:$8.5M ($2M buyout)

Target players like Rollins prior to them getting expensive, otherwise you end up paying for what they used to do.
    Yep. Jimmy is at the wrong stage and the wrong price tag and he'll command a steep price in talent, too, meaning it's both a bit too late and bit too soon to be springing for his particular talents.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    When you're doing good, they're on your side. When you're doing bad, they're completely against you."
    Heck, that describes your typical baseball fan.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?