Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: interesting change since Griffey and Dunn have been gone

interesting change since Griffey and Dunn have been gone

I could see us not having as many 8-3 type victories but winning more 4-3 games.

This may be a good thing. I had not considered this aspect at all.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: interesting change since Griffey and Dunn have been gone

That is Jocketty's MO. He loves pitching and defense. His teams are usually very similar. Strong defensively up the middle, and with power on the corners.
    He also likes projects for his middle relievers, and back of the rotation starters. But then again, he had Duncan for all those years. And he likes ballplayers better than five tool players.

I could see the Reds next year be a lot like the Cards this year. Very strong up defensively, and playing a lot of small ball offensively. I personally think that can be more fun to watch than waiting for the three run homer.

That will only happen if the pitching is good. Which if you recall has been the problem since 2001. You need all 3 parts of the game to be successful, pitching defense and offense. The timely hit junk is BS... In GABP you have to be able to out slug some people.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Our lineup seems like a ghost town now though.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    That is Jocketty's MO. He loves pitching and defense. His teams are usually very similar. Strong defensively up the middle, and with power on the corners.
    He also likes projects for his middle relievers, and back of the rotation starters. But then again, he had Duncan for all those years. And he likes ballplayers better than five tool players.

I've been wondering about this. Jocketty doesn't appear to be a big Adam Dunn fan. In part, it is implied by many (not to pick on 757690, his post simply reminded me of this) because Dunn is not a complete ballplayer. But, didn't Jocketty trade for Mark McGwire? I'd say Dunn resmebles Big Mac in lots of ways. Dunn might not be quite as prolific as McGwire, but their styles are certainly similar (three true outcome guys). Of course, McGwire was parked at first base, not stumbling around in LF, so that might have made him more palatable.

I dont think this team is capable of playing small ball. Keppinger looks real bad anymore, BP and Bruce are free swingers, EE is a dead pull hitter meaning half his outs are pop ups, and not to mention hardly anyone knows how to run the bases properly...so many blunders. Sucks to say it but after trading Dunn and the slim hitting free agent market this team might not be a threat until Alosono (sign reasonable plz) comes up.
    Last edited by keeganbrick; 08-15-2008 at 05:55 AM.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Next Year

You're going to lose more games if you score less runs and don't give up less runs.

I think that much is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by redsbuckeye View Post
    You're going to lose more games if you score less runs and don't give up less runs.

I think that much is obvious.
    Good defense helps you to give up less runs, I think that was the brunt of this thread, we are going to win by playing good defense combined with pitching.

I like where this team is headed. I just want to see solid defensive players who are not free swingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Good defense helps you to give up less runs, I think that was the brunt of this thread, we are going to win by playing good defense combined with pitching.
    What good defense does is it gives your pitchers confidence. If you know that any ball hit to the left side of the field is an automatic hit, you constantly go for the strikeout. Good defense benefits pitching.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Dickerson looked great last night. Two doubles and a Triple. I know it is the Pirates, but I'm happy to see the guy performing. Hopefully he can keep it up.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Next Year

Not disputing the fact that good D gives up less runs, but you still need offense. Settling for 3.5 runs a game isn't going to get you to the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

I could see the Reds next year be a lot like the Cards this year. Very strong up defensively, and playing a lot of small ball offensively. I personally think that can be more fun to watch than waiting for the three run homer.
    So who plays the Albert Pujols role? Think about the Cards without him . . .

Quote Originally Posted by levydl View Post
    So who plays the Albert Pujols role? Think about the Cards without him . . .
    Yonder Alonso...

Agreed. I don't pretend to think the Reds are suddenly "smallball." But they have traded a lot of power for better defense. This is the first part of the equation.

But Dickerson's triple the other night is a good example of the second part of the equation. If that were Griffey it would have been a "long base hit" because he would have stopped to stare at the ball after he hit it and wouldn't really start running until after he rounded first base. But Dickerson, fast and running hard right out of the box, turned it into a triple. The "hustle" factor improves with Dunn and Griffey gone as well.

I guess what I am trying to say is I could see us putting up much worse numbers offensively, but winning more games because of improved defense and good old fashioned contagious hustle.

Turn Off Ads?