Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Strategy Question: Stealing Second Base

Strategy Question: Stealing Second Base

Hey everyone...I have a strategy question that I am hoping can be answered by someone smarter than me.

Last night in the 9th inning, Brandon Phillips singled. Pujols played well off of first meaning the Cardinals were willing to give up the stolen base. But Phillips didn't go. In fact, he didn't even take a bigger lead than normal.

With Valentin at the plate...why wouldn't he take second base to break up a potential double play?

Obviously, in this case it made no difference because Valentin struck out on three pitches...but I thought that was an interesting strategy decision NOT to take a free base when it was given to him.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Adam
    www.lettersonpages.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Strategy Question: Stealing Second Base

One thought would be that even if he does take 2nd and he ends up scoring it means nothing if the guy behind him doesnt score so not worth the risk of being thrown out. I dont agree with that strategy in that situation but that is one school of thought. It could have been something else as well....maybe Brandon has a small tweak injury or something? who knows

Yeah, I agree that his run is meaningless...BUT they were giving him the base and it gets you out of a double play. One that Valentin is obviously not beating out.

I would assume it goes in the same line of thought as pinch running corey patterson 3 pitches into an AB when dunn walked about a month ago.. simply cant figure out and think ahead..

I believe that when Phillips reached first that Pujols double-dog dared him not to run if Pujols didn't hold him on. Two things you don't mess with in life - another man's mojo and a double-dog dare. Everybody knows that.

This is one of the unwritten rules of baseball. Like not bunting late in the game when there is a no-hitter.

Next Year

Phillips is one of a small set of guys who I'd let steal at will. His career 80% SB% is good enough to make up for any CS.

Against a non-holding 1st baseman, why not steal?

Quote Originally Posted by big boy View Post
    This is one of the unwritten rules of baseball. Like not bunting late in the game when there is a no-hitter.
    If this is an unwritten rule, it is a dumb one. Lemme see how this works: Now I am going to not hold you on and play behind you making it easier for me to snag anything the left-handed hitting Valentin might send my way, and in return you promise not to steal. So I gain an advantage and you don't. What? This may be an unwritten rule. I don't know. But it is an unwritten rule that should be ignored.
    Last edited by texasdave; 08-18-2008 at 02:01 PM.

The unwritten rule is to not steal when up by 8 or more runs late in the game as to not embarass the other team. Yesterday's game was not one of those situations.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

he must still not be 100% or i don't see why he wouldn't have been running. if i remember correctly larue was in the game and not molina

even if it was molina.. you give bphill an extra 2 steps.. it would take a josh hamilton throw to get close..

Turn Off Ads?