Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Junior Arias

Junior Arias

I see his name popping up a lot on these boards, when did we sign him? I must've completely missed it, does anyone have an article about him or what position he is?

I apologize for my ignorance.

Thanks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Junior Arias

I don't think much is known about him other than he is very young, he is a SS, and he got quite a bit of money.

IIrc, he got somewhere around a $300,000 signing bonus, which is basically third round draft pick-type money.

Here is the writeup:

The Reds signed Dominican shortstop Junior Arias, a strong, high-waisted athlete.

"He's a good-looking kid," one scout said last week. "He's got good hands, he's a good athlete and he's got good body control. He's a line-drive hitter—it's a short stroke to the ball."
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...08/266438.html

That's about all we have on him, about 5 blurbs up from the bottom.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Sounds good. I would have checked it out on google for myself but I was heading out the door as I posted this.

Does anyone know if he is ranked as a top DR SS?

Aside from the top studs like Juan Duran, Micheal Inoa, and Yorman Rodriguez who sign top dollar deals, $300,000 for a Latin American player is BIG bucks. Make no mistake about it Junior Arias is a top prospect from the region.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

It was reported in early July that the Reds spent an additional $1-2 million dollars on other Latin prospects besides Juan Duran and Junior Arias. I'm curious to know how many prospects the Reds actually signed. Baseball America usually reveals a list of each International signings but so far they haven't released a list yet.

DUBLDicer

Junior Arias, ss, Reds

B-T: R-R Ht.: 6-2 Wt.: 178 Age: 18 Signed: Dominican Republic '09

Arias hit .231/.304/.389 in his pro debut in the Dominican Summer League, but his bat came to life in Arizona, where he was one of the league's more exciting young hitters. He needs to improve his plate discipline, but there's no denying his power.

"He's got a live bat," Reds manager Julio Garcia said. "It makes a different sound than most of the kids we have on our club."

While AZL managers loved his bat, few believed Arias could remain at shortstop. Already 6-foot-2, he'll certainly outgrow the position. With his arm and speed both rated slightly above average, he should be able to handle a move to third base or the outfield.

From Baseball America

Turn Off Ads?