Turn Off Ads?

Thread: New talent in the organization

New talent in the organization

In the past few days the Reds have added Yorman Rodriguez, Yonder Alonso, Juan Carlos Sulbaran, and Matt Fairel to the organization through the draft or as an International signing. They've also added Dallas Buck, Micah Owings, and Wilkin Castillo through trade in the last five days. That's is a great influx of young talent but if you go back to June it's even better as you add in Zach Stewart, Tyler Cline, Alex Buchholz, and others via the draft. They also added Junior Arias and other prospects via the July 2nd International signing period. Through trade they landed Danny Richar and Nick Massett. If you take it another step back to June of 2007 look at all the young talent acquired since then it's amazing. Juan Duran and Yen-Wen Kuo via International signing, Edinson Volquez and Matt Maloney via trade, and others like Devin Mesoraco, Todd Frazier, Neftali Soto, Kyle Lotzkar, Zach Cozart, Evan Hildenbrandt, Brandon Waring, Jeremy Horst, and Alexis Oliveras via the draft. That is very, very impressive in my eyes. Not only have the Reds drafted and traded well but they've become huge players in the International scene as well as Canada and Puerto Rico through the draft. It's nice to know that Castellini and co. understand the importance of signing International players. With this current F.O. there is no doubt in my mind this organization is heading in the right direction.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New talent in the organization

They have done pretty well in minor trades too. Shaun Cumberland and Sean Henry, for example. Everyone talks up Valaika's bat but look at Henry's numbers - identical BA in the same ABs, yet Sean has more walks, more doubles, more triples, more homers, more steals, a higher OBP, higher SP, fewer Ks and a much higher OPS and profiles as a better defender and can play CF. That he's been on the corners more than center is because Cumberland was in the same OF until his promotion to Louisville, and now he shares the OF with Heisey, another up and coming prospect. Henry cost us Jeff Conine - and we got another, albeit lesser, prospect in SS Jose Castro to boot. Cumberland was part of the Medlock-Shackelford/Cantu deal. Dickerson and Stubbs better play well because they have some unheralded but serious competition coming on behind them.

Another aspect I like about Walt's deals (the prior were WK's)this season is the type of pitching he's acquired in his trades. Buck and Masset are both gb type pitchers. Another thing I like is Walt's willingness to take some risk for better upside as with both Buck and Owings. The club is heading in the right direction with a GM who I trust to keep steering a course toward steady improvement.

Everyone talks up Valaika's bat but look at Henry's numbers - identical BA in the same ABs, yet Sean has more walks, more doubles, more triples, more homers, more steals, a higher OBP, higher SP, fewer Ks and a much higher OPS and profiles as a better defender and can play CF.
    Good point. But I think some of the excitement re: Valaika is that he's a middle infielder. The bat will play better than Henry's bat will play on an OF corner. Still, agree that Henry's offense has been mostly overlooked.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I will say that I am very impressed with the boatload of talent this organization is acquiring. Doesn't mean it will pan out, but the more options you have, the higher the chance you re-stock your major league roster from within. Great job front office.
    Who's on first?

I totally forgot about Cumberland and Henry.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I totally forgot about Cumberland and Henry.
    Absolute major league astute steals! Krivsky done an unbelievable job acquiring them for nobody's in terms of worth. Henry very well could stick in CF and thusly he could be one of the most important guys we have down there.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?