Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hargrove wants to manage again

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Hargrove wants to manage again

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...754&type=story

Hargrove says he 'misspoke' about passion, wants to manage again

CLEVELAND -- Mike Hargrove wants another shot at managing in the major leagues. A little over a year ago, Hargrove shocked baseball by walking away from the Seattle Mariners, becoming the first manager since 1900 to resign as his team was on an eight-game winning streak.

A day before being inducted into the Cleveland Indians Hall of Fame, Hargrove said he'd like to give it another go. "I'd like to have one more chance, without a doubt," the 58-year-old said Friday night at Progressive Field before the Indians played the Los Angeles Angels.

"It really would have to be the right place -- and the team that did it would have to believe I wouldn't walk away." Hargrove said he has no regrets about his decision to leave, other than missing some close relationships he had established in the game.

"I really misspoke when I said I had lost my passion for the game," Hargrove said. "I think my competitive edge was dulled. Now, it's back." Hargrove said he did it the past couple months by coaching the Liberal (Kans.) Bee Jays, a summer team for collegiate players. "I told them I'd do it for a dollar," Hargrove said. "Then I said, make it a dollar and a nickel so [his wife] Sharon can get her cut.

"Seeing these college kids love the game as much as major leaguers got me going. I had a blast." Hargrove guided Liberal to fourth place among 49 teams in the National Baseball Congress World Series earlier this week.

On Saturday, Hargrove and the late Joe Gordon will bring to 33 the number of former Indians in the team's Hall of Fame. Both played and managed the club. Gordon was the team's second baseman the last time Cleveland won the World Series in 1948 and served as manager in 1958-60.

Hargrove played first base for the Indians in 1979-85 and was manager from 1991-99. "I loved playing, but got more satisfaction out of managing," said Hargrove, who also managed the Baltimore Orioles in 2000-03 before taking the Seattle job in 2005. "We had good players in Cleveland and somebody had to drive the bus," Hargrove joked of guiding a club that included talents such as Albert Belle, Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez and others to five consecutive AL Central titles and World Series appearances in 1995 and '97.

Not winning a World Series haunts him, particularly losing in 1997 in extra innings of Game 7 to the Florida Marlins. "I get asked all the time when was it I got over that loss," Hargrove said. "I always give the same answer: As soon as it happens, I'll let you know."
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hargrove wants to manage again

I was reading a Cardinals board a few hours ago and some Cards fans seem to think Tony LaRussa and Dave Duncan will be with the Reds next season. I would welcome it but I just don't see Jocketty/Cast firing Dusty Baker after just one season.

Haunted by walks

Nothing wrong with changing your mind, but that's an odd definition of "misspoke."

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Losing grinds a person down, no doubt.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I was reading a Cardinals board a few hours ago and some Cards fans seem to think Tony LaRussa and Dave Duncan will be with the Reds next season. I would welcome it but I just don't see Jocketty/Cast firing Dusty Baker after just one season.
    LaRussa would drive me up a wall, but he wins wins wins and wins.

Dave Duncan wouldn't drive me up a wall, though...

I'm sure I'm going out on a limb here when I say Marty's pregame show would likely cease to exist.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Bob would fire Dusty in a New York minute if he could get LaGenius and Duncan here.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Bob would fire Dusty in a New York minute if he could get LaGenius and Duncan here.
    I agree.

BTW your PM inbox is full.

Much as I dislike LaRussa, I'd be all for the hiring.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I'm sure I'm going out on a limb here when I say Marty's pregame show would likely cease to exist.
    Or Marty's job as Reds announcer would cease to exist. If the two were unable to coexist, I'd venture that Bob and Walt would go the schoolyard route and select LaRussa over a complete set of Brennamans.
    /r/reds

Retired

Why do Cards fans think that? I don't see LaRussa leaving StL, if he was going to, he would have left before signing that extension. I don't think Dusty is going anywhere, sadly.

If Larussa and Duncan came here, I'd be really, really happy. I checked, I had thought Larussa had signed a one year deal, but he's on a two year deal.

Hargrove=reason for Bavasi hiring?
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Totally agree 100%.

And it wouldn't shock me if it happened.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I despise LaRussa as a person, but him and Duncan in Cincy with Walt, to quote Thom B. would be "some kind of good." And I would have to think that the idea would be appealing, given BCast's love for anything Cardinals.

Turn Off Ads?