Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Harang

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

What to do with Harang

Do you let him continue to go out there and get his brains beat in or do you let him go on the DL for the last month and a half and tell him to get everything checked out?

I take the later, no pitcher that looked that good last year, could suddenly be this bad right? I have a hard time coming up with a good parellel career arc but maybe someone can help me with that. If he is not injured, though what does that do for next year? Now you need at least two starters to go with Voloquez, Cueto and Arroyo. Plus a catcher, and at least one outfielder, but really two.

Walt and Bavasi really have their work cut out for them.

Maybe dusty can get us one year of Moises Alou, since he is such a great free agent recruiter.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What to do with Harang

I hang Harang up for the year.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I hang Harang up for the year.
    Might need him for an extra innings game though.

If it's not physical, is shutting him down the best idea?

It might be physical, I don't know.

I do know we have to have someone up here to throw innings if he's shut down.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I do know we have to have someone up here to throw innings if he's shut down.
    I'm available. I can get my brains beat in just as well as anyone.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

It depends on if he's still hurt or just needs work.
    If he's hurt then put him on the DL, if he needs work then talk to him about going to the minors to work some things out like the Phillies did with Brett Myers.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

He claims it's not physical, and after hearing him tonight on the post-game, I believe him. He says it's command and I think he's right. Shutting him down might do more damage than letting him work through this. The Reds aren't going to win anything this year anyway. The Reds have a rookie at first, another in left or center and another behind the plate, not to mention two starting pitchers in their first full year. IF they're sure it's not physical, let him pitch. It's not as if there is anything better to put in his place. If it is physical, that's another matter.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I would shut him down for the year. What is there to prove at this point?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    He claims it's not physical, and after hearing him tonight on the post-game, I believe him. He says it's command and I think he's right. Shutting him down might do more damage than letting him work through this. The Reds aren't going to win anything this year anyway. The Reds have a rookie at first, another in left or center and another behind the plate, not to mention two starting pitchers in their first full year. IF they're sure it's not physical, let him pitch. It's not as if there is anything better to put in his place. If it is physical, that's another matter.
    I think he's right about the problem being command. He wasn't hitting his spots at all. On the pitch that Schumaker hit for a home run, Hanigan set up on the outside corner at the knees, and had to lunge to the inside, where the ball was belt high on the inside corner.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Shut him down. Livingston is back, right?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

His command was a definate problem, but he was certainly lacking velocity. He was in the mid to upper 80's. There is a problem, and I believe it is physical.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Harang just took an MRI which reportedly was normal except for the forearm thing. He says he feels good. I guess I don't understand the point of shutting him down in mid August.

If it were me, I'd probably send Harang on another rehab assignment and let him pitch in the minor leagues for a couple of starts. See if he gets sharper. Then see where we are.

Harang missed a lot of time, he needs to build up his arm strength and his command. I don't see how that gets accomplished on the sidelines.

The easy answer, as many have said is shut him down.

However, if he is cleared medically and the MRI checks out...it is very possible that it could just be a mechanical issue.

Due diligence must be done. Talk to Aaron. Talk to the medical staff. Take a look at the videotapes, etc.... Then, come to the best conclusion based on all the information you have complied. None of us have all that info, so the best we can do is speculate.

Something is wrong with Aaron, I don't dispute that. However, if it is mechanical, I'd rather have him work thru the kinks now as compared to doing it next season. Shutting him down now could result in him starting off next season behind schedule, i.e. there is/could be a drawback to shutting him down.

Harang now has a 9.00+ ERA since his relief appearance. Ouch.

No way Harang is not hurt. Shut him down and get the problem fixed.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?