Turn Off Ads?

Thread: This team is looking more and more like...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This team is looking more and more like...

...the early-to-mid-80s Reds every day and Jay Bruce is doing a darn-fine Paul Householder impersonation.

Never mind me. I just paid to watch a lineup with Valentin, Keppinger, Patterson & Hannigan in the 5 thru 8 holes and I'm a tad bitter.

Re: This team is looking more and more like...

I understand. We've all seen ths before. Over and over since 2001, but for some reason, I have a little bit of hope. Hear me out...

The old Reds--you know the ones with Dunn and Griffey and Freel and Hopper and EdwinE, and David Ross--the team created that didn't even have a winning record has a good chance of being gone. Regardless of our own personal favorites (and Dunn and Griffey were two of mine so much), it didn't work. Finally, we have a front office who is willing to change some things. Maybe it will make things worse, but how much worse can they be? Losing is losing.

As for your experience, Valentin needs to go as he's needed to be gone for years. Keppinger is only a bench player and my guess is everyone from Dusty to Walt to everyone else knows this. He's just the next available warm body that is available on a team so thin that we didn't employ a backup shortstop, but had three catchers. Go figure. Patterson was the answer to the question that wasn't asked. Griffey was in right and Dunn was in left, and Freel was a loose cannon (per an extension that wasn't warranted), so we hired good old .258 hitting Corey to man center and provide some defense. Then he goes on to hit on the interstate. Very predictable.

Hannigan is the result of a team who had three catchers who couldn't catch. Hannigan will never be a starting MLB catcher on any team but this one. Ross was the answer to a question (once again) that wasn't asked. Poor talent evaluation, but others will laud his high OBP while he struck out against any right hander who could throw a ball. And his inability to catch a ball at the plate on a close play or his refusal to block the plate will always be ignored by some. Just like a lot of other flaws.

I don't think we'll see these kind of mistakes in the future. Sure, they should have kept Dunn as a centerpiece, but I like what I see otherwise. Hope? Maybe, but the winter is paramount in what this team will be. This season is lost (and I'll admit, I wouldn't drive the 350 miles to see them today, just like I didn't last year or most years at this time), but maybe, just maybe we're going to see some differences. It may fall on its face, but I somehow don't think so. Of course, we live in hopes, but hope left town some time ago and it's late. We have to hold onto something. Foolishly in some cases.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

This team is unwatchable. I tried for about 4 innings today and I just couldn't take it anymore.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I understand. We've all seen ths before. Over and over since 2001, but for some reason, I have a little bit of hope. Hear me out...

The old Reds--you know the ones with Dunn and Griffey and Freel and Hopper and EdwinE, and David Ross--the team created that didn't even have a winning record has a good chance of being gone. Regardless of our own personal favorites (and Dunn and Griffey were two of mine so much), it didn't work. Finally, we have a front office who is willing to change some things. Maybe it will make things worse, but how much worse can they be? Losing is losing.

As for your experience, Valentin needs to go as he's needed to be gone for years. Keppinger is only a bench player and my guess is everyone from Dusty to Walt to everyone else knows this. He's just the next available warm body that is available on a team so thin that we didn't employ a backup shortstop, but had three catchers. Go figure. Patterson was the answer to the question that wasn't asked. Griffey was in right and Dunn was in left, and Freel was a loose cannon (per an extension that wasn't warranted), so we hired good old .258 hitting Corey to man center and provide some defense. Then he goes on to hit on the interstate. Very predictable.

Hannigan is the result of a team who had three catchers who couldn't catch. Hannigan will never be a starting MLB catcher on any team but this one. Ross was the answer to a question (once again) that wasn't asked. Poor talent evaluation, but others will laud his high OBP while he struck out against any right hander who could throw a ball. And his inability to catch a ball at the plate on a close play or his refusal to block the plate will always be ignored by some. Just like a lot of other flaws.

I don't think we'll see these kind of mistakes in the future. Sure, they should have kept Dunn as a centerpiece, but I like what I see otherwise. Hope? Maybe, but the winter is paramount in what this team will be. This season is lost (and I'll admit, I wouldn't drive the 350 miles to see them today, just like I didn't last year or most years at this time), but maybe, just maybe we're going to see some differences. It may fall on its face, but I somehow don't think so. Of course, we live in hopes, but hope left town some time ago and it's late. We have to hold onto something. Foolishly in some cases.
    Thank you for expressing my every thought.

Turn Off Ads?